Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 512MB to 1GB?

512MB to 1GB?
stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2006, 02:36 AM

Hi all. My friend recently upgraded his PowerPC mini 1.42 to 1GB of RAM from 512MB. After doing that, he said it wasn't that big of a difference. I have a Core Duo mini, and I don't want to spend the money to upgrade to 2GB. Have any of you gone from 512MB to 1GB? Is it a big difference? I usually have the following open;

iChat, Mail, iTunes, Limewire (Rosetta) and Safari.

Sometimes it gets laggy with the 512. Any help appreciated! Thanks!!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

mBurns
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 11:33 AM

I've gone from 512 to 1 GB of RAM with my 1.42 GHZ eMac. I did not notice a huge difference but it was nice to have the extra RAM since Tiger takes around 512 MB RAM to run.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2006, 01:15 PM

It really depends on what you do with the computer. I noticed a huge differance when upgrading from 1.5GB to 2GB on my macbook pro, but that's because I actually use the memory. Once your memory runs out, things really start to be slow (especially changing to an app that's in the background).

The main awnser would be this:

If you run alot of programs at the same time, there should be a noticable differance. If you mainly have one (or a few small) apps open at a time then you won't notice a differance.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 02:20 PM

On my MacBook, which is basically the same as the Core Mini, I noticed a huge difference when going from the stock 512 to 1GB of RAM. Very worthwhile indeed.. with 512 I could have Safari with a few tabs open and iTunes playing at the same time - after that the slowdowns started.

With 1GB of RAM, I can very nicely run Final Cut Pro, or safari with 10+ tabs, itunes, mail, adiumX all without a slowdown
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2006, 03:18 PM

Thank you harris!! I think I'll go with the gig. And thank you to all that took time to reply!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

DakRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 04:54 PM

Yeah I have a mac mini Duo w/512mb of Ram and I am definitely experiencing a slow response. I am thinking of adding a 1gb stick which should bring me to 1.2gb. I am hoping that will be fine, going by the last response, it looks like it will take care of the issue. Does final cut pro run smooth on a mac mini? what about photoshop?
DakRT

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 06:15 PM

Be careful; if you use anything graphics intensive, you willl want to upgrade your RAM in matched pairs, ie 2 x 512 sticks - this way you get max performance out of the RAM, and hence graphics.

As for FCP, it runs well (on my MacBook). Unfortunatly, I just tonight tried to edit a project in FCP which consists of 5 DV cams, using multicam, and the computer is unusable as it cannot keep up with the 5 streams. My guess is that the hard drive is the bottleneck - the 5400RPM just isnt fast enough, as FCP is not graphics intensive, and my iMac at the same clock speed can handle the 5 just fine.

Photoshop on Intel Macs is crappy at the moment, as it is not a Universal Binary application. This is set to change sometime in the 1st 1/2 of next year...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

DakRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info. btw I hear the hd is a laptop 2.5" drive. Anyone know who has the best price right now for a 7200rpm drive like 100gig? Since you mentioned about the memory being in pairs, I might just go for the 2GB upgrade then.
DakRT

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 10:15 PM

How difficult is it to disassemble the mini?
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules