Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Sharing an iTunes Library w/Multiple iPods/Computers

Sharing an iTunes Library w/Multiple iPods/Computers
sph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2007, 11:31 PM

I'm sure there is a tutorial somewhere that tells you how to do this...but I cant seem to find one. I'm trying to find out how to share one iTunes library that is on my mac with another computer on my network (a laptop PC). I have 2 ipods as well, and would like both ipods to be synched to the same itunes library. Is this possible? Please help!

thanks

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2007, 12:13 AM

I'd like to know what other people are doing too.

Currently I set up a "backup" scenario of copying my home computer iTunes folder to my laptop. I then "backup" my laptop iTunes folder to my work G5. I'm using SynchronizeX, which automates this process as much as I can think of (auto-mounting remote machines; copying only updates, not everything).

This assures that I have to do any purchases from home, or from my iPhone (which gets sync'ed with my home computer).

While it works okay, I've always felt it was a big kludge...

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2007, 03:48 AM

I just keep everything on one computer and then share via wireless network. Two ipods to one library is no problem.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2007, 07:00 AM

Are you asking if you can sync an iPod to your laptop using a library that is shared from your desktop computer?

kman42
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2007, 12:21 PM

I saw some software that syncs your itunes libraries between computer automatically over the internet or LAN. It was recently updated so it should be easy to find. Sorry, I don't remember the name. It was cheap too.

kman

sph  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2007, 03:18 PM

Yes, Im looking to sync two different ipods to the same itunes library on two different computers. My setup is as follows:

iMac (main computer with iTunes library on it) - this has an iPhone connected to it
Laptop (PC with Windows Vista) - this has a Nano connected to it

I want the laptop and Nano to be able to use the iTunes library that Im sharing over my wireless network. From the posts above it sounds like it can be done...but how?

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2007, 06:13 PM

Put the itunes library on a shared network disk and point iTunes (in Preferences -> Advanced) on both computers to that library. It can only be used by one running iTunes application at a time, however.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

sph  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2007, 10:21 PM

thanks. I'll try that. I assume I wont have any problems putting the library on more than one ipod correct? Apples DRM lets me put it on as many ipods as I want, correct?

scottbmaps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 05:52 PM

Even though it is a Microsloth product, I use FolderShare to sync my iTunes music across several machines, both PC and Mac. It is free and works very well. It resides in your system tray on a PC and you can shut it down if you aren't actively syncing. I do not own Microsoft stock, I have just used it since before it was bought out by the Borg.

Forum Links
Forum Rules