Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AT&T Pay-As-You-Go iPhone

AT&T Pay-As-You-Go iPhone
MacOS
Jun 20, 2009, 07:17 PM

Could I buy a used older ATT iPhone and use the SIM card from a ATT pay as you go phone? I don't need a call pack or data service.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2009, 04:44 PM

<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2009, 02:20 AM

Can you explain exactly what this means? Currently I am using a prepaid Net10 phone. They're limited in that you are supposed to stay in your area, but the minutes are cheap.

I am going to be getting an iPhone 3G from a friend cheap and wanted to use it.

I'd switch to AT&T's GoPhone plan if I can indeed use an iPhone. But what is the cost of all of their PAYG stuff? I don't need many talk minutes. Don't need many texts. But I do want a nice amount of data. (I suspect my online download amount would go down if I were using a browser that isn't using Flash and stayed away from high bandwidth video sites.)

How easy is it really? Both A) to call AT&T and say "I want to use an iPhone with your Pay-Go service, and here's what I need, and B) switch my phone number from Net10 to AT&T.

Edit: Better questions. I checked AT&T's website for GoPhone alone.

$29.99 gets you 200 minutes of talktime. Though it looks like I could also use the $.10/minute plan instead. I wonder what the cheapest I could get is.

$4.99 gets you 200 text messages.

But where I get confused is the Data plan:

Data
* 1 MB - $4.99
* 100 MB - $19.99
What does that mean exactly? 1MB what? I am assuming that means for every 1MB you use it costs $4.99. Or with the other plan, for every 100MB you use, you pay $19.99. Is this correct? I could probably get away with a $20 100MB plan.
( Last edited by Jasoco; Jun 22, 2009 at 02:37 AM. )

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2009, 09:45 AM

Some other thread around here links to a Gizmodo post reporting that—as of iPhone software 3.0—AT&T no longer allows people to use iPhones with GoPhone service. You should definitely look into this further, since the link that greenG4 posted above is from last year.

I would imagine that once 3.0 is jailbroken and/or unlocked, there'll be a workaround.

MacOS  (op)
Jun 22, 2009, 11:53 AM

MacOS  (op)
Jun 22, 2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
Can you explain exactly what this means? Currently I am using a prepaid Net10 phone. They're limited in that you are supposed to stay in your area, but the minutes are cheap.

I am going to be getting an iPhone 3G from a friend cheap and wanted to use it.

I'd switch to AT&T's GoPhone plan if I can indeed use an iPhone. But what is the cost of all of their PAYG stuff? I don't need many talk minutes. Don't need many texts. But I do want a nice amount of data. (I suspect my online download amount would go down if I were using a browser that isn't using Flash and stayed away from high bandwidth video sites.)

. . .snip. . .
See the links in my above post. AS OF JUNE 17 2009 it looks like they are data blocking 3G iPhones. Not sure if this is tied to the 3.0 software update or not.
( Last edited by MacOS; Jun 22, 2009 at 06:52 PM. )

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2009, 06:48 PM

So AT&T really is that stupid?

This is a huge bummer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules