Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > US way of getting allies.

US way of getting allies.
Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2006, 07:14 PM

So we all know that the US way of invading a country, installing a government has been used for the purpose of getting allies.

But here's the new way. The "great friend of USA" Pakistan just released why they joined the fight. Oh, and freedom of speech seems to be the enemy of the US as well.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | US 'threatened to bomb' Pakistan

Comedy gold.

"Learn to swim"

finboy
Sep 21, 2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah
So we all know that the US way of invading a country, installing a government has been used for the purpose of getting allies.

But here's the new way. The "great friend of USA" Pakistan just released why they joined the fight. Oh, and freedom of speech seems to be the enemy of the US as well.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | US 'threatened to bomb' Pakistan

Comedy gold.
Right. That's what made them do it.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 05:05 AM

That one is a classic.

After the terror-attack of 9/11:

US-ambassador visits President Musharraf from Pakistan.

Musharraf: Hi, US-ambassador, how do you do? I have heard your country was hit by terrorists and about 3,000 american civilians died. My condolences, I condemn such a brutal disregard for humanity and civility and I'm really shocked.

US-ambassador: Listen, we know the attack was conducted by Al-Qaeeda based in Afghanistan. We need your help to defeat the Taliban and Al-Qaeeda. What we want from you, is to grant us the ability to fly in your airspace, to attack the border-area between Pakistan and Afghanistan, your full cooperation and help with your secret agencies... logistic support...

Musharraf: Wait, wait, I can't do that, that would make me look like a US-puppet and undermine the souvereignity of Pakistan, strenghten the position of my critics escpescially the position of radical islamists working on dethroning me...

US-ambassador: Stop right there, I don't have the time for sweet-talk. You are a US-puppet, and if you don't do exactly what we want you to do, we will not only dethrone and replace you, we will also, how did Mr. Armitage put it, "bomb your country back into stone-age". Either you are with us or with the terrorists.

Musharraf: But what you threatened with is nothing but terrorism...

US-ambassador: We prefer to call it "War on terror". So what is your answer?

Taliesin

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 07:14 AM

Considering what an unhelpful prick Musharraf is being by hauling this out a half a decade out of context, I can't say I'm surprised he needed to have it laid out for him like a two-year-old.

At first blush, that we requested the suppression of dissent bothers me, but it's surrounded by so much self-serving garbage I will reserve judgement until more information is known.

finboy
Sep 22, 2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah
The "great friend of USA" Pakistan just released why they joined the fight.
I finally see where you're going with this, and:

IT WAS NO SECRET. Everyone understood that there was an implicit threat in our "cooperation" from Pakistan. There's nothing unusual or underhanded about it.

Leadership in Pakistan was given the choice to be cooperative and helpful, or face getting lumped in with our "explicit" enemies.

So far, they've made the right choice. Morally and pragmatically.

marden
Baninated
Sep 22, 2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Taliesin
That one is a classic.

After the terror-attack of 9/11:

US-ambassador visits President Musharraf from Pakistan.

Musharraf: Hi, US-ambassador, how do you do? I have heard your country was hit by terrorists and about 3,000 american civilians died. My condolences, I condemn such a brutal disregard for humanity and civility and I'm really shocked.

US-ambassador: Listen, we know the attack was conducted by Al-Qaeeda based in Afghanistan. We need your help to defeat the Taliban and Al-Qaeeda. What we want from you, is to grant us the ability to fly in your airspace, to attack the border-area between Pakistan and Afghanistan, your full cooperation and help with your secret agencies... logistic support...

Musharraf: Wait, wait, I can't do that, that would make me look like a US-puppet and undermine the souvereignity of Pakistan, strenghten the position of my critics escpescially the position of radical islamists working on dethroning me...

US-ambassador: Stop right there, I don't have the time for sweet-talk. You are a US-puppet, and if you don't do exactly what we want you to do, we will not only dethrone and replace you, we will also, how did Mr. Armitage put it, "bomb your country back into stone-age". Either you are with us or with the terrorists.

Musharraf: But what you threatened with is nothing but terrorism...

US-ambassador: We prefer to call it "War on terror". So what is your answer?

Taliesin
Think of it as the model for what Iraq COULD be. A peacefully democratic Muslim nation with good ties with the west.

You would prefer invasion and bombing?

When the President said in the War on Terror speech you are with us or you are with the terrorists, that is what was meant. I don't know if you protested the speech or what it meant at the time, but often we can't get the full grasp of a situation until it's explained in a different way.

Is this the language you understand? Bombs and violence?

marden
Baninated
Sep 22, 2006, 10:13 AM

There is going to be a joint press conference with the POTUS and Musharraf any moment.

Here's a statement from the Pakistani President's site:

Musharraf, Bush to meet at White House on Friday
Foreign Visit
21 Sep, 2006

President General Pervez Musharraf will hold wide-ranging talks with President George Bush at the White House on Friday, aimed at further expanding bilateral cooperation in a host of areas.

The two leaders will review developments across the spectrum of Pakistan-US strategic partnership including progress in bilateral cooperation in areas including energy, economic development, science and technology and counter-terrorism. They will also discuss regional and international issues of common concern.

The two presidents had affirmed a long-term, strategic partnership between their two countries during President Bush’s visit to Islamabad in March 2006, which was a milestone in Pakistan-US bilateral ties.

Since then, the strategic dialogue between the two countries has taken place at the level of senior officials.

In 2004, the United States acknowledged its aspirations for closer bilateral ties with Pakistan by designating Pakistan as a major non-NATO ally. Last year, the US agreed to sell F-16 fighter aircraft to Pakistan.

The Pakistan-US strategic partnership is based on the shared interests of the United States and Pakistan in promoting peace and security, stability, prosperity, and democracy in South Asia and across the globe.

As a key step in the direction of expanding economic relations, the United States and Pakistan are making meaningful progress toward concluding a Bilateral Investment Treaty. According to Foreign Minister Khurshid Kasuri the two countries have agreed on 95 per cent part of the treaty and the remaining issues are being resolved. When concluded the treaty would greatly augment prospects of a free trade agreement between the two countries.

In 2003, Pakistan and the United States entered into an economic and defense assistance agreement worth billions of dollars at Camp David during President Musharraf’s second visit to Washington.

Following the September 11 attacks in 2001, the United States and Pakistan joined international efforts to fight the scourge of terrorism. Since then, Pakistan has been a pivotal ally in the war on terror, a fact frequently recognized by the US Administration and leaders across the world. Last week, President Bush described Pakistan as one of the most valuable allies in the war on terror.

The bilateral relations reached a new high when the United States provided critical rescue and relief support to Pakistan in the wake of its deadliest natural disaster on October 8, 2005, when a massive earthquake claimed 73000 lives, destroyed houses and infrastructure over a huge swathe of the mountainous regions in Azad Kashmir and NWFP and left millions of people shelterless.

Pakistan is seeking United States cooperation in the establishment of reconstruction opportunity zones in the tribal areas as part of its holistic efforts to stem poverty, stimulate economic growth and curb extremism.

The two leaders are expected to discuss efforts for peace and security in Afghanistan. Pakistan and the United States have active intelligence sharing to counter terrorists on Pakistan-Afghanistan border. Pakistan has captured more than 600 terrorists and deployed 80,000 troops along its Western border with Afghanistan to contain and curb terrorism.

President Musharraf is likely to apprise the American leader of recent progress in Pakistan-India peace process for establishment of durable peace in South Asia through resolution of outstanding disputes including Kashmir.

General Pervez Musharraf - News & Events: Latest News & Events

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 10:25 AM

Where, exactly, were you when President Bush said, "You are either with us or against us," basically saying that anyone who didn't help would be considered the enemy?

This isn't news.

Pakistan did the right thing, regardless of how they were given motivation. And they have been a great friend in the War on Terror.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 10:35 AM

Mr Musharraf, we will be coming to the border of Pakistan and Afgahnistan to collect or kill the criminals of the 911 conspiracy> Any questions? I didn't think so. No news here.

marden
Baninated
Sep 22, 2006, 10:42 AM

I support President Bush but he is hard for me to listen to sometimes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2006, 09:01 PM

Railroader
Banned
Sep 23, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego
Looks like capitalism is doing quite well in Pakistan.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 23, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
I finally see where you're going with this, and:

IT WAS NO SECRET. Everyone understood that there was an implicit threat in our "cooperation" from Pakistan. There's nothing unusual or underhanded about it.

Leadership in Pakistan was given the choice to be cooperative and helpful, or face getting lumped in with our "explicit" enemies.

So far, they've made the right choice. Morally and pragmatically.
But, but but....

Forum Links
Forum Rules