Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > SIMAP reminder

SIMAP reminder
zombie67
Senior User
Dec 31, 2006, 02:38 AM

They plan on releasing new work on Jan 1st. Don't miss out!
( Last edited by zombie67; Dec 31, 2006 at 02:41 AM. Reason: D'oh! Had to fix the subject.)

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2007, 04:19 PM

I think it might be Jan 15th.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 1, 2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking View Post
I think it might be Jan 15th.
"The similarity matrix of the SIMAP project is currently up to date. The calculation of new simap workunits containing the novel proteins from december 2006 will start around january 1st.

The initial calculation of protein domains has been finished. The calculation of updates (new sequences and new domains from InterPro 14.0) will start around january 15th (has been postponed due to the recent release of InterPro 14.0)."

SIMAP runs two different applications: SIMAP and HMMER. I think the first part refers to SIMAP, and the second to HMMER....I think.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 2, 2007, 04:18 AM

Ding! Work is available! Get it while you can!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 2, 2007, 10:42 AM

*slurp*
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 2, 2007, 08:25 PM

And, all out. Now for the machines to build up their long term debt so they auto attack simap next time. Thx for the heads up zombie.

Edit: Or not out yet...
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Jan 3, 2007 at 01:22 AM. )
My website

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking View Post
And, all out. Now for the machines to build up their long term debt so they auto attack simap next time. Thx for the heads up zombie.

Edit: Or not out yet...
I see you got a BIG GULP! Good job.

With these projects that have limited batches of work (SIMAP, LHC, Nano, etc), we must be attached 100% of the time, if we want to climb the ranks as a team. DEBT is a powerful BOINC tool to make it happen!

Team MacNN is now 11th in RAC, and 46th in total credit.

Other teams are getting soft and forgetful. The next batch is due Jan 15th. Attach now, and build up that debt! And once the flood gates open, then up your connect time to the max of 10 days to get the biggest slurp! But don't do it until then, or BOINC will see you already have 10 days worth of work with your normal projects, and won't ask for any SIMAP.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2007, 12:59 PM

Actually, I just let the debt take care of it. The majority of my machines run on auto; I'm surprised they grabbed as much as they did. Some of my machines are still working. I only manually messed with one machine, although it looks like my climate box grabbed a ton because it is set to do not download on every other project.

Edit: Speaking of LHC, the work I did never showed up on my boincstats listing...
My website

Billy
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2007, 11:38 PM

I just got a really big chunk and it looks like there is plenty more coming.

Billy
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2007, 02:20 PM

I am just now getting a page or two of WU's even though it is supposed to be finished?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 25, 2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
I am just now getting a page or two of WU's even though it is supposed to be finished?
After each semi-monthly batch of work is complete, they reissue problem WUs as needed. So to catch these "extras", be sure to stay attached all the time.

Billy
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
After each semi-monthly batch of work is complete, they reissue problem WUs as needed. So to catch these "extras", be sure to stay attached all the time.
Lucky for me, I forgot to do that! I was going to mark "no new tasks" to keep from getting so many messages from the project, but never got around to it.

Team MacNN has already moved up 7 positions so far this month! And Scotttheking has a big whack of WU's still to do.

Billy
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2007, 05:48 PM

The latest workunits just started to arrive. How do you folks get so many? I only get 2 or 3 at a time. I have the connect time set for 10 days and am always attached.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2007, 11:51 AM

I mainly use the client's long term debt to get work units. I have at least 2 projects attached to each computer, some have as many as 10. I use a scale of 1-100 for what portion of the time I want each project worked on (1 being 1/100 of the time that 100 is). Since I can assign up to 1000, I do that for SIMAP. Since it can't get work most of the time, but the client is set to devote a lot of time to the project, whenever work is released the client will automatically grab a lot of work and devote 100% of the time to it. This seems to work well, and is the best I can do, as I don't actively manage my farm (which is why I sometimes have clients down for 2 weeks because of the crummy Linux client).

Note that I may not understand how long term debt works (it might not accumulate when a project has no work), and in that case it is just the higher priority.
This page has a little info on debt: Client scheduling policies
My website

Billy
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2007, 08:35 PM

I understand that I don't understand how it works. I believe that I read somewhere that it can take several days to balance out.

Right now there are SERVERAL THOUSAND WORK UNITS AVAILABLE. Come on you guys. We can move up a few spots if we only get a couple more people working on it.

Billy
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2007, 11:46 AM

We have moved up quite a bit on the latest issue of Work Units! From 16 to 11 in RAC and from 39 to 37 in Total Credits.

I have just had 4 random "client error" results. They all say

process exited with code 1 (0x1)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
ERROR: simap_boinc checkpoint failed -1

Is there an explanation for this? On one of them I was paired with Zombie67 and he had no error. It seems to be random, just once in a while; 4 so far. The only thing that I noticed was that I was using the computer at the time and my sons firewire external computer was every once in a while going "crazy" with lots of activity for no reason that I could see. He was still logged in and might have been doing uploading or downloading; I am not sure.

I would ask over at SIMAP, but I can't log in there.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 3, 2007, 04:40 PM

I would ask over at SIMAP, but I can't log in there.
They use their own forum, instead of the BOINC stock forum. You just need to set up an account, then you can post. FWIW, I haven't heard of any problems with the application.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 11:17 AM

I have just had 4 random "client error" results. They all say

process exited with code 1 (0x1)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
ERROR: simap_boinc checkpoint failed -1

Is there an explanation for this? On one of them I was paired with Zombie67 and he had no error. It seems to be random, just once in a while; 4 so far. The only thing that I noticed was that I was using the computer at the time and my sons firewire external computer was every once in a while going "crazy" with lots of activity for no reason that I could see. He was still logged in and might have been doing uploading or downloading; I am not sure.
I think this is just a general failure message. There is an explanation of Checkpoints HERE

I shall be switching my two machines over to SIMAP this week.

K.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 08:52 PM

Dried up again. No new work until ' around March 1 st '.
Back to SETI me thinks.

K.

Billy
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2007, 09:44 PM

That way I can stay ahead of you! You might want to stay attached with a large cache as sometimes they will release some work units before that because some people don't return work units or they are over the deadline. I was lucky and still have about 20 hours of work to go. Thanks for your machine. It made a big difference.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 10:44 PM

If interested in proteins, consider Predictor@home. They are starting back up again, and Team MacNN is already in 4th place overall! It's also the project where we are the highest. It would be a shame to lose our spot.

They just sent out test WUs for Mac (PPC & Intel) and linux. I downloaded some, and they immediately errored out. I am staying attached anyway. I didn't really lose out any crunching time, because they errored out immediately, and there is no new work currently. Probably working on the fix. But I want to be building up long term debt for when they open the faucet.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 02:04 AM

Billy/Zombie67

Its good that people post news about individual projects as it keeps everyone up to speed on whats going on, and people like me, who like to move around,can jump in and lend support where its needed. I don't like to stay attached to projects I am not working though, so let us know when it kicks off again.

K.

Billy
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 07:44 AM

If interested in proteins, consider Predictor@home. They are starting back up again, and Team MacNN is already in 4th place overall! It's also the project where we are the highest. It would be a shame to lose our spot.
I tried joining Predictor, but got a message that there are no new accounts. Is there some way of joining?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 12:02 PM

I tried joining Predictor, but got a message that there are no new accounts. Is there some way of joining?
They must have account creation disabled for now. I didn't notice, since I already had an account.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 03:23 AM

Nice to see predictor coming back on line.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2007, 06:39 PM

They just sent out test WUs for Mac (PPC & Intel) and linux. I downloaded some, and they immediately errored out. I am staying attached anyway. I didn't really lose out any crunching time, because they errored out immediately, and there is no new work currently. Probably working on the fix. But I want to be building up long term debt for when they open the faucet.
They have solved the issue. Predictor now works on Macs again.

Billy
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2007, 11:36 AM

They must have account creation disabled for now. I didn't notice, since I already had an account.
It is ON now. I was able to join yesterday. How do you get gFortran? Or do I have it in the operating system?

Billy
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2007, 12:24 PM

It is ON now. I was able to join yesterday. How do you get gFortran? Or do I have it in the operating system?
Forget that question. They put it into the application. I am getting valid results.
From "News"

So Far it looks like Mac's and Linux machines are returning valid results. We are still looking into the virtual memory issue.

Starting with Workunit 50,000 results will require that machines have 1Gigabyte of RAM. This is to see if there is any relationship to the amount of available RAM and failed jobs.

With some help from user 'Augustine' we were able to link the apple dTasser binaries statically. The current version for all platforms is 0.10. If you are using an older version please update or reset so you will download the new version. In 24 hours we will look at the logs and see what worked and what did not.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 13, 2007, 02:12 PM

Let's keep the detailed Predictor discussion in Predictor threads. SIMAP doesn't require gFortran that I know of, nor has a dTasser worker.

Billy
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2007, 12:35 PM

It might be a good time to attach to this project again as it is scheduled to send out new work units in the next couple of days. Last month, it was one day early.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2007, 02:44 PM

WUs are available now!

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 1, 2007, 06:00 PM

More WUs available, not nearly as many as last month.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2007, 01:52 PM

More WUs to be released tonight. Get 'em while you can.

Billy
Forum Regular
May 5, 2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks to adream for boosting the team stats and getting into the top 10 computers already.

On another point, the project is sending out extra workunits even though the completion dates haven't been reached. Is this a waste of computer resources and according to Boinc guidelines?

adream
May 7, 2007, 06:46 PM

number one computer simap :-)

Top computers
63. (1) (b) "music" includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 01:05 AM

Hey? Where's the competition this month??

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jul 31, 2007, 10:40 PM

Get it while it's hot!

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2007, 08:44 PM

More fresh work released! Also, some interesting news on their front page.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2007, 10:09 AM

10/01/07 News:

Calculation of SIMAP updates is starting soon.
The calculation of new simap workunits containing the novel proteins from september 2007 (simap app) and their domains (hmmer app), and the calculation of sequence similarities of several environmental sequencing projects, will start on october 1st in the evening (UTC).

Billy
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2007, 09:24 AM

Something is wrong with the SIMAP server. WU's were sent out on Oct. 1 with a return deadline of Oct. 6. There were 2 results sent out for each WU. On Oct. 3, if 2 results were not received, an additional result was sent out. I have many WU's that were not required in the last couple of days as the WU already had been completed, but the deadline hasn't been reached yet. Shouldn't the server delete those WU's, so that my computer is not doing needless work?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 10:39 AM

If the project has installed server-side abortion, and if the client has not yet started the WU, then yes the WU should be deleted. I am not familiar enough with SIMAP's set up.

Billy
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2007, 11:04 AM

If the project has installed server-side abortion, and if the client has not yet started the WU, then yes the WU should be deleted. I am not familiar enough with SIMAP's set up.
I asked the question on the Boinc Alpha Mailing List as I am testing an update.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 11:42 AM

Try asking on the SIMAP forum. Their admins are very responsive, and I am sure they can explain their server set-up.

Billy
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2007, 05:02 PM

Try asking on the SIMAP forum. Their admins are very responsive, and I am sure they can explain their server set-up.
I can't even get into the forums. When I try to register, it says that my account is inactive.
It looks like there will be work for another week or so, about 700,000 results still to send out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules