Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Microphone

MacBook Microphone
cwkmacuser
Senior User
Mar 23, 2009, 07:03 PM

My friend and I are trying to record an album of piano and clarinet duets with my macbook. The internal microphone makes the piano sound very loud, and the external microphone (a 10 or 20 dollar microphone) makes the piano sound like a toy. Any suggestions?
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 07:07 PM

I definitely wouldn't ever attempt to use an internal mic for that type of application. You may just have to experiment with different microphones. I'm thinking of a boom mic, perhaps, but I have more specialized video knowledge than audio knowledge, so others will probably have better ideas.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2009, 07:57 PM

if you're even slightly serious....at least get a usb mic (samson, for example); you'll get a much better sound.
and then, standard studio practice: experiment with the mic position, ie where the mic is compared to the piano and the clarinet. experiment, get the best balance possible, the best level...THEN take a break, and come back ready to make music (and NOT have to focus on the tech details).
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2009, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by cwkmacuser View Post
(a 10 or 20 dollar microphone) makes the piano sound like a toy.
This is your problem, and it's completely unsurprising.

As fisherking mentioned, the Samson USB mics are fairly okay for starters, and they're bottom end pricing for acceptable demo quality:

Samson Audio - C01U

Of course, having only one (non-stereo) mic will mean that you've only got a mono signal, so if you'll be recording both instruments at the same time, you will not be able to pan them left and right.

You will also compromise on how the two instruments sound: Microphone placement is crucial. Experiment with different mic positions until you feel you've got a sensible balance between the instruments. With one mic, you probably won't get an ideal sound from either instrument.

In all honesty: ask around in your circle of friends/acquaintances. Somebody is bound to have a small mixing console and a couple of mics.

It sounds like you're starting at absolute zero, and before you invest time and money into the technical side, it might be worth getting somebody else to take care of that aspect (at least to loan you a bit of equipment for a little while and help you get it set up), so that you can concentrate on the music. Don't expect this to happen for free, but it may be worth asking around.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Mar 25, 2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This is your problem, and it's completely unsurprising.

As fisherking mentioned, the Samson USB mics are fairly okay for starters, and they're bottom end pricing for acceptable demo quality:

Samson Audio - C01U

Of course, having only one (non-stereo) mic will mean that you've only got a mono signal, so if you'll be recording both instruments at the same time, you will not be able to pan them left and right.

You will also compromise on how the two instruments sound: Microphone placement is crucial. Experiment with different mic positions until you feel you've got a sensible balance between the instruments. With one mic, you probably won't get an ideal sound from either instrument.

In all honesty: ask around in your circle of friends/acquaintances. Somebody is bound to have a small mixing console and a couple of mics.

It sounds like you're starting at absolute zero, and before you invest time and money into the technical side, it might be worth getting somebody else to take care of that aspect (at least to loan you a bit of equipment for a little while and help you get it set up), so that you can concentrate on the music. Don't expect this to happen for free, but it may be worth asking around.
I am a student and money is tight. Is there any microphone that I can get for less money?
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2009, 11:16 PM

there's things like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CADU37

check that site (for example, look for 'usb microphones', look at the details, the reviews...)
good luck!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules