Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > More Problems With RAM From 18004Memory...

More Problems With RAM From 18004Memory...
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2002, 08:45 PM

I received my iBook back from Apple this afternoon. Very speedy service, by the way...picked up on Friday, arrived in Houston Saturday and here it is only Wednesday!

But I digress... When I opened the shipping box there was the 512MB module in a plastic bag, along with a note from the Apple techs. During the hardware tests they found a problem with the third-party RAM and advise me to NOT reinstall the RAM since it could create problems. They were not specific about the problem; they only said that I should contact the RAM vendor about the problem.

As some of you may know, this particular RAM module is a replacement for another defective 512MB module purchased from 18004Memory...

It is too late to contact the vendor today so I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out what they will do to make this right. Unfortunately, I purchased the original RAM module in March so I assume that my credit card company cannot help me in this matter.

I will post a message after I speak with 18004Memory to let the board know the outcome.

zucchini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 01:28 PM

Mojo,

sorry to hear about the problems. I'm waiting for a replacement module too, and hopefully it works this time. But yeah, do keep us updated on the status. Anybody have suggestions as to how to check the integrity of my new RAM?

Thanks,
Jason
<><

iBook 600 12.1" CD 640MB 10.2.6 Airport
TiBook 667 15.2" Combo 512MB 10.2.6 Airport

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 01:37 PM

I contacted the tech support folks this morning. Their take is that the Apple techs do not like to find non-Apple RAM installed in Macs they service and will even sabotage the RAM. But not-to-worry, the guarantee covers this eventuality...

And no, I am not making this up!

I test new RAM using TechToolPro, and this module seemed fine. I assume that Apple has more sophisticated testing methods. Does anyone know something about this?
( Last edited by Mojo; Oct 24, 2002 at 03:01 PM. )

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Mojo:
I contact the tech support folks this morning. Their take is that the Apple techs do not like to find non-Apple RAM installed in Macs they service and will even sabotage the RAM. But not-to-worry, the guarantee covers this eventuality...

And no, I am not making this up!

I test new RAM using TechToolPro, and this module seemed fine. I assume that Apple has more sophisticated testing methods. Does anyone know something about this?
I received a brand new stick of 512MB Kingston (as compensation) might I add from Apple after they botched my iBook repair. So I'm not sure what you mean by Apple Ram I examined the ram the day I received it in the mail and the plastic box it came in was sealed with a Kingston seal, inside the box were instructions on how to install the ram printed by Kingston and the Ram of course, there were no stickers or markings on the stick of ram to indicate any association with Apple.
All I can say about "Apple Certified" ram is it's dam expensive if you buy from them. I have not hand any problems with the ram since the day installed it .

HoOn
Oct 25, 2002, 12:26 PM

wow! you paid for 512MB RAM from Apple? Thats close to $400 right? DAMN! Anyway, I had a problem with my 512 MB RAM from 18004MEMORY and I returned it for a refund. I had them send me another and it now works. I told them to double/triple check the ram they were goign to send me because I toild them we were experiencing problems with their memory. I even told them we had threads about them. hehehe

If I had to pay for REAL good memory I would buy from Crucial who is a subsidiary of Micron Tech. Micron is the real deal in RAM. =)

Good Luck!
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

xtro
Oct 25, 2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by HoOn:
wow! you paid for 512MB RAM from Apple? Thats close to $400 right? DAMN!
Read his post again bro, he said he got it as compensation.

zucchini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2002, 10:27 PM

Hey there guys,

Well, I got my new module today via FedEx, and popped it in, and first time it works! Got the same CD tray spitting out thing that either Mojo or HoOn did, but seems okay right now. I'll keep you posted. This module looked a lot more "official" than the first, meaning more markings on the chip, more informative sticker, etc.

That's it from here...we'll see how it holds up.

Thanks,
Jason
<><

iBook 600 12.1" CD 640MB 10.2.6 Airport
TiBook 667 15.2" Combo 512MB 10.2.6 Airport

GeorgeC97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2002, 10:56 PM

hey everyone -

i also ordered a 512 ram chip.... and when i installed it, -- my computer read it only as 256 ! so i send back the chip... and i am waiting for them to send it back.

if i had known about these problems earlier i wouldn't have ordered from them

hopefully the new chip works !

dagmar
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2002, 11:04 PM

Well, I ordered a 512 meg chip from them for my ibook 600/12.1" a year ago, swapped it into my current 700/14.1 six months ago, and have had no problems what-so-ever. Since there are only, what, 3 or fewer manufacturers of RAM...I'm guessing a bad batch from somewhere got through

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2002, 05:37 PM

I received the second replacement RAM module this morning. It was two days late because it was shipped via FedEx to my billing address, which just happens to be a post office box.

This RAM module seems smaller than the previous two modules; it certainly was easy to install compared to the other modules. Is a size difference possible???

The iBook started up with -so far- no problems.

A related question... when attempting to seat the keyboard I discovered a very small round magnet impeding my attempts to lock-down the keyboard. The magnet appeared to belong in the screw depression directly below the keyboard lock so that is where I put it.

Was that a correct assumption? I have never noticed the little magnet before today...

snct
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 06:21 PM

Yes... There's a small size difference between the RAM stick for the PowerBook and for the iBook (maybe a couple of millimeters, or so).

Yep... There's a magnet that goes above one of the screws, near the top of the keyboard area. Yours just fell out? Hmmm; when I replaced my hard drive, I couldn't get that little bugger outta there for nothing. Oh well .
--Steve

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2002, 07:25 PM

That itsy, bitsy magnet has a whole lotta pull for being so small!

Forum Links
Forum Rules