Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" and partitioning

17" and partitioning
george328
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 07:39 PM

How's everyone organizing their 17"?

As these new laptops no longer boot from 9, I don't see the reason for keeping 9 on a separate partition. Seems to me I just need two partitions, 55GB and a small 5 GB as an emergency boot partition.

kmingis
Mar 28, 2003, 12:26 AM

Hi george328. That is exactly how I have my PB 17 partitioned. I always want to have a back-up "drive" in case I screw up the main one I use (the 55G). That way I can still boot up and recover files, use disk utilities and keep working.
The Amazing Powerbook 17 (Rev. D 1.67)

mattnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 08:46 AM

in an emergency like that couldn't you just boot off cd? i'm still waiting for my 17", but i was thinking about partitioning it for os/apps and data separetly. just the 2 partitions.

m.

george328  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by kmingis:
Hi george328. That is exactly how I have my PB 17 partitioned. I always want to have a back-up "drive" in case I screw up the main one I use (the 55G). That way I can still boot up and recover files, use disk utilities and keep working.
Yep, looks like that's what I'll be doing after work today, reformat and begin the tedious task of installing applications, etc.

Originally posted by mattnl:
in an emergency like that couldn't you just boot off cd? i'm still waiting for my 17", but i was thinking about partitioning it for os/apps and data separetly. just the 2 partitions.
You can boot off the cd, but this way saves me the hassle of looking for a cd to boot from especially if I'm on business somewhere.

I don't know the more I read up on partitioning schemes the more confused I get. I've read so many different posts on this forum and others. From no partitions all the way to a system partition, swap partition, emergency boot partition, data partition, etc. Opinions are so wide and varied I just gave up. I settled for two partitions plus I'll back up religiously onto an external hd.

MyRuin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 12:45 PM

it's better to get a partition of 40G max because you'll get better performance.

kmingis
Mar 28, 2003, 05:18 PM

I know this will sound silly. But the idea of partitioning the hard drive and then going through the "laborious" task of installing apps is kinda fun. I LIKE watching my hard drive fill up with all of my apps, docs, preferences, etc. It's part of the process of making it mine!
The Amazing Powerbook 17 (Rev. D 1.67)

djjava
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 05:55 PM

again, naive switcher question... how do you partition the drive?
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 06:22 PM

Easy,

Go to Applications>Utilities>Diskk Utility find partition tab and customize your hard drive the way you like it.
It is that easy...

Have fun

djjava
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 06:27 PM

see.. in windows.. you have buya $200 program to do that (with an OS installed)
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2003, 06:55 PM

im not so sure about doing multi partition on OSX. i tried it before & i notice a performance hit. i tend to get the BeachBall a lot. when i do only 1 partition i dont see the Beachball a lot.

i guess its just user preference. for ppl that have a partition for emergency purpose to use BootCD.

www.charlessoft.com
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Forum Links
Forum Rules