Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Real Cancun"

"Real Cancun"
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 03:06 AM

What do you guys all think about the new movie called 'The Real Cancun'?

I just saw the preview and looked through the site http://www.therealcancun.com/ and although it does have a lot of sex and nudity (rated R for strong sexuality/nudity, languange and partying) which will attract a lot of guys to watch it, i can't help thinking this is anything but "reality".

Supposedly it is 16 people picked at random (more like 16 people choosen for looks, and likeliness of having sex with multiple people) who get a free vacation to Cancun together. They film the people all the time that they are awake and then choose the "best" 96 minutes of it for the movie.

Anyway, what do all you people think about this kind of thing. You know, the "Reality TV" kind of thing. Do you like it? Why?

My oppinion: it sucks. i hate it. there doesn't seem to be anything "real" about it. it all seems staged and coreographed like WWF if you ask me.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 03:23 AM

( Last edited by deekay1; Apr 23, 2003 at 03:36 AM. )

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2003, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by torsoboy:
i can't help thinking this is anything but "reality".
Welcome to 1991.

It's just a pay-per-view version of the same stuff MTV has been doing since then. Nothing exciting or shocking to anyone who has done spring break or college for that matter. It didn't even get NC-17 so it can't be that graphic. You don't even have to go see it at theaters it will be on cable in 6-8 weeks.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

deekay1
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 03:53 AM

what i really hate about this kind of crap is the fact that people sit on their a$$e$ all day and let tv tell them what "reality" is.

sorry, i'd rather wind up in prison or dead...or fly my a$$ out to cancun instead of living my life through the tube and some type casted bimbos for that matter...

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 08:47 AM

my life is exciting enough in that real movies are an an escape into fantasy and not somebody elses's life
snappy

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2003, 09:34 AM

One question I have is what are the parents of these kids going to say when they find out they are in this movie?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2003, 09:40 AM

i mean. if "reality TV" wasnt bad enough, now we have to deal with "reality movies"?

i think the main reason that reality TV propagated itself so rapidly was that the studios didnt have to pay actors salarys to the people who were in the shows. the studios got the same amount of money from the advertisers, and some 1-900 "vote someone off the show" money on the side.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
i mean. if "reality TV" wasnt bad enough, now we have to deal with "reality movies"?

i think the main reason that reality TV propagated itself so rapidly was that the studios didnt have to pay actors salarys to the people who were in the shows. the studios got the same amount of money from the advertisers, and some 1-900 "vote someone off the show" money on the side.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 02:08 PM

yea, and supposedly this movie was filmed for 1 week, then released for the big screen less than a month later. it will probably start a whole slew of other "reality" movies because of the low cost, low production time and somwhat high returns. it's too bad, i was hoping movies would start getting better...now they are going to get even worse.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 03:25 PM

My oppinion: it sucks. i hate it. there doesn't seem to be anything "real" about it. it all seems staged and coreographed like WWF if you ask me.
I agree with you, not because it is unrealistic, but because it is often abusive to the participants.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 12:50 AM

The problem, as the OP said, is that there really isn't anything real. In order for it to be true voyerism, the participants shouldn't know that they're being taped.

That would be way too boring.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 02:35 AM

wow... horney teenagers having sex without regard for morality... uhh... I could just hide in the power mech hallway washroom if I wanted to see that

I think it's a good idea as far as cash idea goes... dumb as far as quality... worst part is they'll make tons of dough, but I dout the kids were picked at random... unless they went to a beach and looked for the "hottest" people... ultimately I'm almost tempted to see it just out of curiosities sake... ten bucks says it sucks though... thought you know they mighta sent out like multiple crews out with the kids and just picked the best one. Hence encase one of the kids was a flop they'd have a better one if all the kids were horney orsomething. Best case senario they get a squeal too heh.

It's the dumbest thing though... I hate reality, TV it's just staged with worse actors.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
my life is exciting enough in that real movies are an an escape into fantasy and not somebody elses's life
My life is so exciting it could be made into a movie!

...uh...

People would pay to see me post to the MacNN Forums... right?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 01:04 PM

This same idea approached me a year or two ago... I was in a contest where we had to design a DVD cover for a "reality movie." I thought it was a really stupid idea and wasn't interested in even competing because the idea was lame, but eh, I did okay in it anyway...

Still, reality movies not cool. Though I'm a big Survivor fan...

def H H H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2003, 12:17 AM

The World Wildlife Fund of choreographed?

Forum Links
Forum Rules