Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > what kind of ipod do you have, and why?

what kind of ipod do you have, and why?
John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 02:13 PM

what kinds of ipods do you have? do you own more than one? why?

I have a first generation 5gb. it is about to die.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 02:45 PM

I just bought a 3G 10Gig last week because they are on sale for $250 at various web locations. I was going to get a mini, but realized that there just wasn't enough room to hold everything I wanted.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 02:49 PM

I don't currently own an iPod...but I have an iPod mini on order. I like the size, the brushed aluminum, and the new dial...that's mainly why I bought it...price really didn't matter to me.

I got my GF a 20 GB iPod for Christmas...so we have the best of both worlds!

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 04:07 PM

I have a classic 5GB iPod I bought back in the day. Why, 'cause I tend to be an early adopter when it comes to technology. Still works fine, no compelling reason to buy a new one yet.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 04:11 PM

10gig first generation. Because the price was right, I think the button layout is superior to the dockable ones, and I don't like the dock idea. I like to have separate firewire cables at my desktop and in the bag with my laptop, both of which are useful for hooking up it iPod or any other FW device.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2004, 04:27 PM

I own a 10 GB third generation that I bought not a week after they came out. Actually, I got it replaced a couple months ago so it's not the same one, but feh. Same exact model with a slightly bluer backlight.

I prefer the button layout and the mechanical buttons of the old iPods, but the new ones are sleeker and smaller, can do ratings on the fly (the main new feature I use), and most importantly I bought mine new so I don't have to worry about it dying for a while. If I had an older one I'd be worried that it would either drain on battery or the hard drive would crap out, but mine is new enough that I don't worry about those things too much. Not yet, at least.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

baglunch
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 04:59 PM

I have a 15gb 3g ipod which replaced my broken 5gb 1g ipod. I got my girlfriend a belated xmas gift of a 15gb 3g ipod (we waited for macworld), she thought the minipod was cute, but wanted more space, didn't care about the size, and thought the 3g ipod was the best bang for the buck.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2004, 07:26 PM

iPod: 30GB 3G

Why?: It was finally large enough to carry all of my music, which is what I was waiting for. Now it's almost full. So almost time to upgrade.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 07:38 PM

first generation 5 gigs, still working great. Taking it with me day to day for work.

And the 15 gigs with a dock for hooking up to a stereo playback and bring it to my car for long hour travelling.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2004, 07:57 PM

i have a 3g 15gig i ordered as soon as they were announced, and i bought a 3g 10gig for my brother.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 08:27 PM

I still have my original 5GB iPod. I really don't need more than 5GB of music in my pocket at any given time, so it's not worth the $ to upgrade at the moment.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by John B. Smith:
what kinds of ipods do you have? do you own more than one? why?

I have a first generation 5gb. it is about to die.
Had a first generation 5 GB. Got hit by a car and crunched it, so I replaced it with a 40 GB.

Don't have 40 GB of music on it, but I have an encrypted disk image where I store backups of all my important documents, etc. from both home and work.

drive-thru
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 08:54 PM

I'm waiting for my new 20GB iPod to arrive from Apple. It's gonna be my first iPod, ordered this because the 15GB + dock costs almost as much and I have no need to get a larger capacity.
Can't wait for it to arrive, but it's gonna be about a week so I'll have to be patient.

busket68
Banned
Jan 22, 2004, 09:26 PM

I have an original 5 gig iPod that I cannot get to work and am about to shove down the garbage disposal.

- Ca$h

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:30 PM

I have an original 5GB iPod that's been serving me well since it came out. I'm an early adopter as well so I almost always jump on the new stuff right away. I just got a new 20GB unit for the extra storage and because a new battery for the old one just didn't seem like a viable option. I can't wait to see the new mini-iPods. I'm trying to think of a reason to buy one and so far all I have is "I want one." What really keeps me from simply ordering one is the price. If they drop it to $200 or so I simply must have one.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 10:47 PM

I had a 5GB 1st gen (another early adopter here) which I gave to my gf when she bought me a 10GB 3rd gen.

Nothing wrong with the 5GB apart from I eventually couldn't get all my music on it.

I love the 3rd gen size, but like the old style 'real' buttons WAY more. The feather-touch buttons on the 3rd gen are just far too sensitive for my liking.

A higher capacity iPod mini might just be perfect for me...but as things are I'm happy with my 3rd gen (especially as it was free! - thanks darling)
http://www.yongfook.com

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 11:31 PM

10GB G2

I wanted an iPod and the prcie point and size was right for me at the time, two summers ago now.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 12:52 AM

40 gig. My first one and I love it. When they come out with new ones, You can bet I'll sell it and upgrade!

OreoCookie
Jan 23, 2004, 01:38 AM

2nd gen 20 gig iPod. Why? Because it was the biggest one at that time

No, seriously, my music library back then was larger than 10 gig, so I had to take it
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 12:43 PM

20GB 3G iPod. Gift (quite unexpected) from the wife. The bloke at the Apple Store in Chicago wisely suggested the 20GB model to her as a good balance between capacity & price and included dock/case/remote (this was before the 15gig replaced the 10GB model...).


bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 02:16 PM

My daughter wants a mini for her birthday next month (she'll be 14).

We're still mulling. It's still a lot of money for a 14-year-old...

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 10:05 PM

My friend just ordered a new green mini, so she was sooo nice and gave me her original 5GB and so far I love it. Its a little scratched up but I could care less. I hardly have 1GB of Music so size isnt an issue.

Im a guy, so I usually dont carry around a mirror, even though I wish I had one all the time, but now I can use the chrome back of iPod as my mirror without really carrying around an actual mirror! So many uses, I [heart] my iPod.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2004, 04:24 PM

I got a 40 gig not too long ago...I have lots of music...

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 05:38 PM

I have a original 5 gig first generation ipod with the mechanical scroll wheel.

I purchased it in November of 2002 for $199 bucks from Apple.com's "red tag sale" website.

It worked perfectly until August of 2003 then just went dead...shipped it back to Apple and they sent me another brand new refurbished 5 gig ipod as a warrenty replacement...which so far is working perfect.

Why I got it: It holds nearly every song I have, and the price was right (under 200 bucks).

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 07:01 PM

10GB 1stG

Bought it with my iBook/700 in 5/2002 because Apple offered a $100 rebate.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 07:03 PM

3rd Gen, 20gb
'cuase it was the best bang for the buck.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 09:47 PM

Bought a 5Gig way back when they first came out...2 weeks later ..DEAD...repaired(i.e. replaced -diff S/N!) it has worked trouble free ever since.
Put this down to Bad Luck/teething/etc.

Bought my son a 2nd Gen 10Gig Apple Refurb'd pod for Xmas '03 to replace his crappy but SO reliable Rio.....
2 weeks later..DEAD...As I write I'm STILL waiting for Apple to agree that it has a years full warranty.

Customer Service claim that it is out of warranty because it was reg. in Dec '02 according to their 'records'.
("Yes I can explain this..It's a REFURB") I replied
("Yes sir, but according to our records it was reg in Dec '02).....repeat ad infinitum..zzzzzz.
They now (after almost 3 weeks) are still expecting me to pay $50 handling/postal charge to have the 'repair' (i.e. replacement!!) undertaken. I am told however that -"The repair will be under warranty"
"You mean the warranty that it does'nt have, the warranty which expired?" I asked
"Hold on a moment sir..I'll transfer you to Customer Care" More dreadful muzak.....

I've refused this 'offer' of course but it will probably cost as much considering that
I've spent over three hours phoning the bozos who inhabit the 'iPod customer service' farm.
(they however despite ever firmer reassurances have repeatedly FAILED to phone me back)

Their latest excuse for inaction is that my email enclosing a copy of the 'reqd' Proof of Purchase was unacceptable (No one thought to call after 6 days to mention this!!!)
Policy dictated that proof had to be FAXED.
I somewhat wryly asked if it was O.K. to copy the email & send it by fax?
" Yes, that'll be fine" was the reply
I faxed this info last Wed.
& so far......No response. No email. NIX!
Whats next?
Who else can I contact to quickly resolve this shambles. If I am bounced around from dept. to dept. once more I'll most assuredly lose my cool.
My son is now having to deny owning an iPod
His PC using school peers have asked to see it, & the jokes are circulating that the battery has already expired!
Thank You Apple
way to go business....

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2004, 11:19 PM

Get on the phone with them, be really firm, tell them you don't want to br switched to another department, that the iPod is under warranty, and it is their job to fix it. Make "threats" about buying Apple products in the future...etc etc. Customer support can be a pain...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2004, 01:03 AM

1st gen 5gig and a 3rd gen 20gig

Use the 5 for when im jogging or doin unsafe stuff like biking, and the 20 is used for when im around the city or school, and I use it for extra hard drive space too. Should've sold the 5 gig for $100 bux and got the 40 gig instead, but I dont really regret it all too much, I like the fact that I dont have to be careful when jogging and stuff.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 12:05 PM

1g 5 gig and proud of it!!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

tomkos123
Jan 25, 2004, 12:53 PM

hey hagheid

i too have had many problems with apple uk customer service
i really was despairing after a while with the level of service and just the fact that nobody there cares one jot about your problem. in the end i asked the person who i was talking to to give me his extension. i then kept phoning him, and it became his problem to sort my issue out, and that helped quite a lot, i wasnt so easy to shake off.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the interest macgyvr64 & tomkos123.
I'm know I'm marginally off topic here but I feel anyone thinking of buying an iPod should be aware of the utterly hopeless support team that appear to be encaged in some dungeon somewhere in flattest Holland. The management of this stalag is truly shocking.
When I bought my 5Gig over 3yrs ago I remember reading scores of complaints from dissatisfied buyers. Customer care though appeared to be much 'more' efficient.
P.S. A friend from Perth after seeing & using our Macs 'converted' last Nov. & bought an iMac.(on the spot-From Apple -using our Mac!!)
He was so impressed with iTunes he within days bought a 3G 30Gig ipod.
Oops! It's been back to Apple twice. I'ts still not working. they now say that it must be the F/Wire cable. Since their last communication -15 days on, he still awaits the phantom cable.
Another fine example of the 'Customer care' experience. So far his iPod has worked for 2 days since Nov. '03. It has either been in transit or languishing in Apple's care for almost 2 MONTHS.
Way2go Apple!

Forum Links
Forum Rules