Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Constructive critisim wanted!

Constructive critisim wanted!
nayr x
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2004, 04:15 AM

Hey all!

This topic is in the lounge also, but I thought it might be well suited here too.
Anyway, I have been working on a strip, and would love some feedback from anyone with an opinion!

http://www.speedysignworks.com/len

Let me know what you think. They get better as they go (in my opinion, as far as quality and time invested...) so don't miss #5 and up!

Thanks!

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

sketch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by nayr x:
Let me know what you think. They get better as they go (in my opinion, as far as quality and time invested...) so don't miss #5 and up!
Great stuff! I love your drawing style and the way you layout the panels. My favs are Lenned #1 and 6. "Existence tastes like pineapple"

I really like the drawinge on the right.

What do you use to make the cartoons? Looks like it's all done on paper then scanned.

halogen8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 01:43 PM

I agree, great style.

The characters are great too - I love Octopope. Very original stuff.

They look scanned, did you draw them by hand and color them on a Mac? Or did you do everything by hand?

Keep up the good work.

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2004, 03:28 PM

I like the sense of humor, but they're a little hard to read. Both cleaner lettering and thinner lines would help that.

Octopope!

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 03:15 AM

Great illistrations, really great actually and funny too

two thumbs up

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

ghotirking
Apr 6, 2004, 05:25 AM

Hehheh. "Torsional Stress."
I do agree that the lettering for the 'bot should be easier to read. Other than that, I like your drawing style and odd sense of humor.

nayr x  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2004, 04:15 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback!

To answer the question of the process involved, I draw them all by hand on 9"x12" bristol board first, then scan it into my trusty power book @ ~300dpi, and do all the clean up digitally. I do all the "coloring" by hand with staedtler pigment liners (best drawing pens ever), so that the original hard copies don't look half-finished.

As far as the text goes, i am still trying to find the best way to letter clearly, I have been switching between .03 and .05 pens... the most difficult aspect of the text is that I typically do the drawing layout first, so sometimes it is hard to get the text to flow through the right bubble order. (This is due to the lack of frames).

Other than that, keep checking back for new stuff! I have a story I'm trying to tell, but just due to the time it takes for each strip it might be a while before the underlying messages start to emerge. Some of the funniest ideas I have (joke wise) can't really happen until the characters are developed a bit more, so i have some work to do...) Thanks for all the feedback! you guys rock!

(P.S. did anyone notice the G5 in the strip where the robot is built? )

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

imacgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 06:44 PM

I think you have a great style. The illustrations are really well done. I love the layering of images and how you didn't restrict yourself with separate boxes for different converstations in a strip.
Personally I like the type, it's a nice contrast with the imagery, and i think the readabality is fine. The only thing is I think it works best with a lighter weight, it looks like the latest ones were a heavier weight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules