Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ColorWave 'book coloring....

View Poll Results: Would you pay $400 to have your 'book colorized?
Poll Options:
Definitely, it's worth the money! 1 votes (4.55%)
No, that's too much money for color. 17 votes (77.27%)
Maybe / Not decided. 4 votes (18.18%)
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
ColorWave 'book coloring....
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:36 PM

I think this is what some of us have been wanting-- color choices . But, the downfall is you have o buy the systems from them (for a premium) or spend $400 to customize an existing 'book. Although it might be worth the time and effort it takes to do a good job of such a thing, a color change isn't worth $400 for me (although $50 or $65 for the iPod isn't too bad.) What do you say?

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 7, 2004, 07:10 PM

Why would you want to change it? I love my white iBook.
40% of the cost of an iBook just to change its colour is crazy.

www.macskinz.com

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 07:29 PM

Mac skinz would be a good choice if they actually had anything to put on an iBook or a powerbook. I know they're having problems with their skinz but thats just ridiculous.

The colorware stuff looks awesome, but I would not even consider it for $400. That is such a waste of money. It looks really cool, so if it was a lot cheaper it would be a whole different story but $400? How do they stay in buisness?

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 07:41 PM

I can understand the desire for color but I don't like the colors they offer. An iSkin or whatever they are would be much better.

Personally I prefer white - just the way it is.

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

yuanjuhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 02:14 AM

It sure gives the ibook more personality, but I think it's too much to pay for a paintjob, especially after you've just bought it.

I'm also somewhat conservative on colors...I think the white might be boring but actually induces me to want to wake the ibook up from sleep to use. Not sure if it'll feel the same way if it's painted black or tangerine.

However, it might be worth it in a few years when my ibook's surface has been scratched and could use a coat to cover it up.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 03:38 AM

Drive-thru, thanks for the link! I wasn't aware of these people. Looks promising.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2004, 08:00 AM

US$400 is quite a lot man. You can buy an iPod or 2 with that money.

With that said, I think the black iPod by ColorWare is damn sweet.

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2004, 04:52 PM

Has anyone seen one of these in person? The pictures of the different colours on the iBooks were just awful. I'm guessing these folks don't know the virtue of subtlety.

Cheers!

*Edit*
I just looked at the iPods and most of them looked pretty cool, so maybe those are just lousy pictures for the iBooks.
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

the_snitch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2004, 04:56 AM

i said "Yes" as they honestly do such a good job with their products and quality control. But i aggree that the price is ridiculous. I even went so far as to email them about it. If it were $200 they would sell three times as much.
What i find strange is the service cost of $400 is also the same margin ontop of the RRP that a new ibook is from them.
You would at least think buying new from them would subsidize the cost a few hundred.
I really considered this, but then chose no because its just too much

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by the_snitch:
i said "Yes" as they honestly do such a good job with their products and quality control. But i aggree that the price is ridiculous. I even went so far as to email them about it. If it were $200 they would sell three times as much.
What i find strange is the service cost of $400 is also the same margin ontop of the RRP that a new ibook is from them.
You would at least think buying new from them would subsidize the cost a few hundred.
I really considered this, but then chose no because its just too much
Exactly. It looks like an awesome product and company, but the $400 price tag is ridiculous. Like you said, if it was $200 I know a lot of people who would get it.
The iPod for $65 looks sweet though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules