Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Disk warrior or File Salvage

Disk warrior or File Salvage
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2005, 12:21 AM

Hi,
With my brother's recent strees induced week thanks to word i have decided i need software to help me retrieve meesed up,deleted files etc.I had downloaded File slavage and found it easy to use and it found the files straight away but to retrieve it neede to purchase it.(So my brother just began to retype his work since we didnt have money at the time.)

Any pros and cons people can point out with disk warrior and file slavage so i can choose the better one.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2005, 12:29 AM

DiskWarrior if you want to try to fix a damaged disk.

Data Rescue (www.prosofteng.com) for recovering files from damaged disks, or for recovering damaged files.

I've never heard of File Salvage. I doubt it is as good as Data Rescue, which has a long and distinguished reputation in the Mac world.

edit: I just looked at FileSalvage, and holy crap! It's written with REALBasic. Just go with Data Rescue.

edit again: Unsurprisingly for a RealBasic app, FileSalvage is apparently pretty unstable, at least according to this review.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Oct 9, 2005 at 12:47 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

dru
Senior User
Oct 9, 2005, 04:41 AM

DiskWarrior salvaged me from a catastrophic situation after an OS 9 crash when I was still switching to it from Jaguar. Nearly all files were recovered.

In my book, DiskWarrior is fantastic.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by dru
DiskWarrior salvaged me from a catastrophic situation after an OS 9 crash when I was still switching to it from Jaguar. Nearly all files were recovered.

In my book, DiskWarrior is fantastic.
DiskWarrior is a great program. It serves a different purpose than Data Rescue, though, in that it is intended to fix damaged disks. If the reason you can't access your files is because the disk won't mount or boot or whatever, than DiskWarrior's a pretty good choice to repair your disk and make it work again. If you have a disk that's so hosed that it can't even be repaired by DiskWarrior, though, or if you're trying to solve some other problem like accidentally deleted files, then you need something like Data Rescue. This way, if the disk is unfixable, you could still get some of the files off and then reformat it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2005, 09:56 PM

so in plain english data rescue and disk warrior are 2 diffrent apps which serve different purposes..So should i go for data resuce or fork out for both apps?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
so in plain english data rescue and disk warrior are 2 diffrent apps which serve different purposes..So should i go for data resuce or fork out for both apps?
If you want to try to repair the disk, use DiskWarrior. It's a good app to have around anyway. If you don't care about recovering the disk itself, if DiskWarrior can't recover your disk, or if you are trying to recover deleted files, then use Data Rescue.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
If you want to try to repair the disk, use DiskWarrior. It's a good app to have around anyway. If you don't care about recovering the disk itself, if DiskWarrior can't recover your disk, or if you are trying to recover deleted files, then use Data Rescue.

thanks for the reply.Off to the online apple store now

drg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
thanks for the reply.Off to the online apple store now
Based on the rave reviews of diskwarror on these forums, I ordered it to solve a problem with the hard drive not being recognized on my iMac. After waiting for the disk, it did not work, after waiting for support, it did not work again and after waiting for support again and getting an absolutly stupid response, I gave up and went ahead and reformated the hard drive and reinstalled system X. I found it a waste of money and time.
Jim Gundlach
eschew obfuscation

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2005, 11:53 PM

^ Do you have a brand new Mac that isn't bootable from the DiskWarrior CD or something?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2005, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by drg
Based on the rave reviews of diskwarror on these forums, I ordered it to solve a problem with the hard drive not being recognized on my iMac. After waiting for the disk, it did not work, after waiting for support, it did not work again and after waiting for support again and getting an absolutly stupid response, I gave up and went ahead and reformated the hard drive and reinstalled system X. I found it a waste of money and time.
Jim Gundlach
Nothing has a 100% guarantee, but a good chance to get your data restored is better than nothing.

Charles knows about this stuff, trust me.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by drg
Jim Gundlach
It's a shame you didn't get a more positive experience from using DW - in all the time I've used Mac (since Mar '96) I've never met anyone who didn't like DiskWarrior...

Oh well, there's a first for everything...

Forum Links
Forum Rules