Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > os 9 & BOINC

os 9 & BOINC
sailorman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 08:42 AM

Hello,

I have been a SETI user for many, many years using two old Macs both running os9.1. I don't believe I have ever been any SET teem member. Now I find that the [email protected] classic is ending and I must move to BOINC or its equivalent. So what do I do since there is no BOINC or third party equivalent available for OS9?
I have previously searched for a distributed project that my old Classic Macs could run but nadda..any suggestion there?

Thanks,

keith

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Nov 24, 2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by sailorman
Hello,

I have been a SETI user for many, many years using two old Macs both running os9.1. I don't believe I have ever been any SET teem member. Now I find that the [email protected] classic is ending and I must move to BOINC or its equivalent. So what do I do since there is no BOINC or third party equivalent available for OS9?
I have previously searched for a distributed project that my old Classic Macs could run but nadda..any suggestion there?

Thanks,

keith
As far as I know, there are none left that support the older Mac systems. Maybe consider moving to OS X?
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

sailorman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. Can't upgrade since one is an old Performa 6360 and the other is a Power Computing clone. Tis strange they would leave us out int he cold so to speak.
keith

DrBoar
Senior User
Nov 24, 2005, 12:04 PM

You can still contribute but it will be a lot of work
www.distributed.net have the RC-72 clients ported for Linux and NetBSD. So you can run those not only on Powermacs but also 68040 and even 68030.

Having enough HD space and RAM to do it is an other thing but at least the option is there. I have two 200 MHz 7600 that will be out in the cold come 15 December

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. Can't upgrade since one is an old Performa 6360 and the other is a Power Computing clone. Tis strange they would leave us out int he cold so to speak.
keith
It would require writing an entirely different code base. Just not enough people using the old OS to make it worth it. Same issue with OS-X 10.2.x. Won't run BOINC, and no-one has been successful in compiling for it. 10.3.9 or better is required. Wasn't intended to be that way, but that was just the way it happened.

If it was practical to provide OS-9 versions, they would, but it just isn't practical anymore. Nothing lasts forever. In business terms the ROI stinks. (Return On Investment).

DrBoar
Senior User
Nov 25, 2005, 03:50 AM

Not only is the performa 6360 1/20 of the speed of a modern computer. For every application there is a overhead cost and that kills the obsolete 6360 even further! The 603 is also a crappy CPU even if you have a L2 cache. I runned SETI on a 4400/200 and it was way slower than the 7600/200 more on pair with a 7200/120

judgeblacksteel
Nov 26, 2005, 03:46 PM

so iz there a interesting priject to be run on a 7500 mac os 9,1 .?
i have 3 of thoze computers running seti .

gorbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 11:22 AM

Sailorman,

Suggest you take a look at XpostFacto: https://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/
it's free, and will allow you to run OS X on many older machines that otherwise can't. I'm using it to run Tiger on a Lombard, as well as a 7600.

Best,

DrBoar
Senior User
Dec 6, 2005, 05:35 AM

OS X works on 7500/7600 with Xpostfaco but the 6360 is unsupported (PPC 603) and many Powercomputing CPUs have no support of the built in graphics. At least my 7500/7600 have been difficult to install. I had to start with 10.0 and then stepwise update to 10.1.5 Now the PPC604E is supposed to work all the way up to 10.2.8.

Crashed X also have "unblessed" the OS 9 system So I have had problems getting back a working computer. The small hardisks on many old computers is also a problem (not installing printer drivers saves several hundreds of MB).

•syzygy•
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 07:49 PM

keith
For heaven's sake get a mini.

Forum Links
Forum Rules