Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > My new website...with pics, vids and links!

My new website...with pics, vids and links!
S_Young
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 08:17 AM

Please stop by my new website and let me know what you think! You'll find some short films I've edited (including my Superman Returns fan trailer) and pictures from my university days, among other things. There is one dead link on the front page - I had to take down my resumé temporarily, but it will be back up tomorrow.

Bear in mind this is my first stab at creating and maintaining a website, and I'm using Apple's iWeb softwre to do it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome!

ercatli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 07:04 AM

I checked out your site using Safari and it looks excellent. I especially liked the mirror effect below the top graphic. Only problem was, it took ages to load - I don't know why that would be.

kellybelly
Mar 15, 2006, 09:16 PM

It probably took a long time to load because all the "text" on the page is comprised of a bunch of .png files between 65kb-150kb.
kellybelly.net
12" Powerbook G4 Rev. C | 1.33GHz | 768Mb RAM | superdrive
5G 60GB iPod (black) | 3G 40GB iPod

alice_curiouser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 12:01 AM

It looks great, but I would make the wording actual text (not an image) to quicken load times.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I[/FONT] [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My Mac![/FONT]

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2006, 10:06 AM

Looks nice, but very slow. I'm on a fast connection (30mbps) too..maybe it's your webhost?
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by alice_curiouser
It looks great, but I would make the wording actual text (not an image) to quicken load times.
Unfortunately, this is Apple iWeb's fault. The site was created using iWeb and, for some dumb reason, iWeb will turn text into png images, which cause the site to load slowly.

Super Mario
Mar 16, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Unfortunately, this is Apple iWeb's fault. The site was created using iWeb and, for some dumb reason, iWeb will turn text into png images, which cause the site to load slowly.
That's crazy. I didn't know iWeb did such a crazy thing.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:13 PM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 07:28 PM

Yes, there is a major discussion over at the Apple Support Forum.

chirpy22
Mar 18, 2006, 11:21 AM

I would demand my money back if I found that out after I bought iWeb. That's ridiculous.

omegahack
Mar 21, 2006, 01:16 PM

dear god, is that text in the images? that is a very big no no. Your site took about 2 mins for me to load it.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2006, 02:34 PM

I haven't used iWeb yet, but I know it doesn't convert all text to images, perhaps you are putting the text in using a method that it thinks will be a headline. I've seen a number of "blog" style sites that have text that is not converted to images that were created with iWeb, so I know it can be done.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 05:44 PM

Calimus: The problem is that iWeb seems to arbitrarily decides when to convert text to images. See the Apple Support Forum thread on iWeb fonts - when do they become images.

makad
Mar 31, 2006, 07:23 PM

i will call it perfect

good work

Ravish Kumar
Loans and Morgtage Information Get the best human edited loan and mortgage information at loanskey.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 08:23 AM

tboparis
Oct 27, 2006, 03:43 AM

I like it but it's ssoooooo slow on my iBook
BTW shouldn't there be a sticky with links to our websites.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 03:48 AM

Thats what iWeb does to your website. It generates a really shi*ty lenghty code, creates png's for almost anything not standard. The good thing is, its easy and fun to use and makes the pages look good without knowing any HTML, CSS etc.

OllieP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 01:20 PM

Hi
Really like your site on the folk festival (At the top of this thread)
Could you answer me a quick question about the site.
I am using iWeb to create my site also, and I notice you have various pictures on your site, where you click on them they enlarge which is great.
Please can you tell me how this is done? I tried using a Photo template but when I click on my photos I have placed on the site, they don't enlarge.

Many thanks in advance

Oliver

Originally Posted by S_Young View Post
Please stop by my new website and let me know what you think! You'll find some short films I've edited (including my Superman Returns fan trailer) and pictures from my university days, among other things. There is one dead link on the front page - I had to take down my resumé temporarily, but it will be back up tomorrow.

Bear in mind this is my first stab at creating and maintaining a website, and I'm using Apple's iWeb softwre to do it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome!

Panz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 03:18 PM

The page seemed to load really quick for me and I only have a regular broadband connection!

Forum Links
Forum Rules