Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Capsule ship dates?

Time Capsule ship dates?
milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2008, 12:47 PM

When is this thing shipping? I ordered mine a few days after it was announced and it still says will ship by Feb 29th. Anyone hear anything?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 12:52 PM

Some are shipping now I've heard. Mine hasn't yet (I ordered one 500 GB).

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2008, 12:54 PM

I ordered 500 GB one too.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 07:12 PM

What I think is weird is that Best BUy had them in the flyer Sunday. But mine still says "shipping by Feb. 29." If you can have them in the store, why can't i have mine on a shipping truck?

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2008, 10:24 PM

You mean you could buy them from Best Buy on the 24th or on the 2nd? If its the 24th then why did I bother to order it from Apple.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by milenko11 View Post
You mean you could buy them from Best Buy on the 24th or on the 2nd? If its the 24th then why did I bother to order it from Apple.
Hmmmm I'm assuming you could buy them on the 24th, since that's when it was in the flyer. I didn't pay that much attention, as I'd already ordered mine, and I could save $20 by taking advantage of education pricing.

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2008, 06:23 PM

Mine shipped today

edoras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2008, 01:47 AM

If anyone got theirs already - can they make a revew...? Thanks..

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2008, 08:47 AM

Mine still says "prepared for shipment," even though it also says it will ship by yesterday. Oh well. I'll be curious to see others' reviews.

tridentinecanon
Mar 1, 2008, 01:10 PM

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2008, 06:03 PM

I'll be getting mine by 10:30 am on the 4th.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 02:03 AM

Picked up a 1TB at my local Apple store today. Its up and running and backing up my laptop and my wife's. Works as advertised. Each Mac's Time Machine volume is stored as a sparseimage on the Time Capsule drive, which then gets mounted/unmounted as Time Machine activates. Note that Time Machine only automatically starts on laptops when the machine is connected to AC, though you can start it manually via the dock icon or menu bar widget. This is noted on Apple's website, and presumably its so the battery doesn't go out while backing up, though Apple says you can put the machine to sleep mid backup and it'll resume when the machine wakes up.

The wireless access point interface is exactly like the current AirPort Extremes, though the Time Capsule comes with a CD containing an updated AirPort Utility application (no reboot necessary).

I did not test to see if USB drives connected could be used as Time Machine volumes.

The device itself is very quiet; I can barely hear the HD spin up when being accessed. When not being used, the drive will spin down. The unit does get hot though when the hard drive is getting a lot of use; I wouldn't advise putting anything on top of the unit. The device is larger than the AirPort Extreme, but looks virtually identical. But unlike the AirPort Extreme, it does not require an external power brick.

There is no way to partition the Time Capsule volume, though since each machine's Time Machine is stored as a separate sparseimage, it really isn't necessary. If you want to keep a certain amount of space separate, unused by Time Machine, then you can make a fixed-size read/write disk image (300GB for example) and store it on the Time Capsule, then mount the disk image and put your stuff there.

The Time Capsule uses AirPort firmware version 7.3 (current AirPort Extreme firmware is 7.2.1 I believe).

I have my Time Capsule set to run 802.11n-only at 5GHz, and a separate AirPort Extreme running 802.11b/g at the usual 2.4GHz for my non-N machines (thus I can maximize throughput on my laptop and Apple TV, both of which are 802.11n capable; my wife's and kids' laptops are not). With the AirPort Extreme running in bridge mode, my wife's laptop (Core Duo MacBook Pro 802.11b/g only) can still use the Time Capsule as a Time Machine volume perfectly well (though only at 802.11g speeds). So basically, if a machine can get to the Time Capsule by any method, be it a circuitous wireless or ethernet connection, it'll work for Time Machine.

Time Machine wireless transfers on my 802.11n MacBook were pretty fast, peaking around 12.5MB/sec.

I did have to "power cycle" (Comcast-speak for yanking the power) my stupid cable modem to get the Time Capsule to acquire an IP address, though that's not really Apple's problem.

Anything else you guys like to know?

tridentinecanon
Mar 2, 2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
The unit does get hot though when the hard drive is getting a lot of use....

How hot does it get? Is it warm, or does it burn your hand? Is it any warmer than the AE when the HD is not in use?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
How hot does it get? Is it warm, or does it burn your hand? Is it any warmer than the AE when the HD is not in use?
It wont physically burn your hand, but it does get much warmer than the AE (even when the HD isn't running).

lgtmvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 05:32 PM

It is already sold out in NYC.

Do you think it would work well not as a Time Machine Drive but serving out to the internet?

tridentinecanon
Mar 3, 2008, 10:17 AM

FedEx will be delivering mine 2 days early today!!

tridentinecanon
Mar 3, 2008, 10:22 AM

It wont physically burn your hand, but it does get much warmer than the AE (even when the HD isn't running).
Thanks for the info. We just bought a house, but we haven't moved in because we are renovating. When we do move though, I'm going to have the cable company wire my cable modem in an unorthodox location. This means that TC will be going into an unorthodox location as well, and I wanted to see what my options were without overheating the blasted thing. (Perhaps I'll stick it in a closet to get it off my desk and out of the way. After all, my house is full of nothing but wireless laptops and Airports.)
( Last edited by tridentinecanon; Mar 3, 2008 at 11:47 AM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 10:26 AM

There is no way to partition the Time Capsule volume, though since each machine's Time Machine is stored as a separate sparseimage, it really isn't necessary.
Hmm... this could be a problem.

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 09:19 PM

Well I got mine early, but i can't get it to work. It just simply won't connect to the internet. I've tried all the resets.

tridentinecanon
Mar 3, 2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by milenko11 View Post
Well I got mine early, but i can't get it to work. It just simply won't connect to the internet. I've tried all the resets.
Well, if you want some troubleshooting help, it would be good to give us a little bit more information. Are you on cable? DSL? Connected to the TC via ethernet? Airport? What model computer are you using? 10.5.2?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 3, 2008, 11:46 PM

Yes--I'd like to know if plugging an external drive into it can be used either as network storage and/or as additional Time Machine storage.

[EDIT: Never mind, I found my answer, and it is yes.]

Forum Links
Forum Rules