Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ringtones for iPhone (How to make them)

Ringtones for iPhone (How to make them)
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2008, 09:16 AM

Well, I got my iPhone 3G, very happy with it, but I would like to make some ring tones (not really happy with the ones that came with) I did a couple of searches here (macnn.com) and on Google and found what I believed to be a good tutorial on how to make them...but !

The tutorial says to grab a song from iTunes, take to Garage Band, chop-it, put the fancy fade in/out...all good until it says:

"Go to the Share menu in GarageBand and choose "Send Ringtone to iTunes." Your project is converted to an iPhone ringtone that opens and plays in iTunes."

Tutorial here

Turns out I only see "Send Song to iTunes" not "Ringtone"... I am using iLife'08 and all my software is up to date.

(any other easy wasy to make ringtones?)

PS: can I used the ringtones make for SMS alerts and Alarms ?

Thanks.
( Last edited by jorgem4; Aug 7, 2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: forgot to add the link)

[email protected]
Aug 7, 2008, 09:41 AM

ringtones are simple.

Pick a song, right click and press get info, when you done that, you click options tab, then select the 30 seconds you want, then convert the 30 second track to AAC, find the track (in the folder), right click it delete the file extension .m4a to .m4r

You then should have a ringtone

Smillz
Aug 7, 2008, 10:07 AM

http://mobile17.com/

This has always worked very well for me

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks !

gaogier, how do you convert from mp3 to AAC ? is that done in iTunes ?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Pick a song, right click and press get info, when you done that, you click options tab, then select the 30 seconds you want, then convert the 30 second track to AAC, find the track (in the folder), right click it delete the file extension .m4a to .m4r
Didn't work here. iTunes 7.7.1 (11).

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Didn't work here. iTunes 7.7.1 (11).
Didn't work here either...iTunes 7.7

anyone else has a method to create ring tones ?

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jorgem4 View Post
Didn't work here either...iTunes 7.7

anyone else has a method to create ring tones ?
Wops ! seem to work now....

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 04:49 AM

So what did you change for it to work?

Aqua_Geek
Aug 9, 2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by jorgem4 View Post
gaogier, how do you convert from mp3 to AAC ? is that done in iTunes ?
Yes, you can do it in iTunes. Control-click the song you want to convert and choose Convert to AAC from the menu. If you have a different option (such as Convert to MP3), you need to change your selected encoder in Preferences->Advanced->Importing->Import Using->AAC Encoder.

After you convert it, a duplicate song will show up in iTunes. Control-click on it and choose Show in Finder. From there, change the file extension. Go back into iTunes, delete the song from your library (but DON'T delete the file). Back in the Finder, drag the .m4r file onto iTunes and it will show up as a ringtone.
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 11:12 AM

Tried that too and it still doesn't work here (iTunes 7.7.1).

Originally Posted by Aqua_Geek View Post
After you convert it, a duplicate song will show up in iTunes. Control-click on it and choose Show in Finder.
So far so good.

From there, change the file extension. Go back into iTunes, delete the song from your library (but DON'T delete the file).
Works too. After changing the extension to .m4r the icon says "ring" so I guess that's fine.

Back in the Finder, drag the .m4r file onto iTunes and it will show up as a ringtone.
Doesn't work. If I drag the ringtone file onto iTunes, iTunes jumps to the original m4a file I made the ring tune with and starts playing that. The m4r file never shows up in iTunes. Neither in the Library nor in the Ringtone section.

Aqua_Geek
Aug 10, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Tried that too and it still doesn't work here (iTunes 7.7.1).
That's really weird. It works fine for me, and I'm running 7.7.1 as well.

Did you remove the file from your iTunes library? I noticed that if you change the extension and then drag the file onto iTunes to try and add it without removing the song first iTunes does nothing.

If that's not the problem, I don't know what's going on. Sorry.
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 02:45 PM

Bingo. I hadn't properly removed the new file from the iTunes library. Now it works. Thanks.

pm2012
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2008, 08:26 PM

Very happy with my 3G iphone and very happy to share my relatively easy and painless way of making a ring tone using two non-Apple apps: Audio Hijack and Fission.

1. Import tune from iTunes into AUDIO HIJACK as an mp4 (AAC) making new file in your Music/Audio Hijack files
2. Make a second copy (in case of cock-up in Fission- this is optional)
3. Import the copied file from Audio Hijack into FISSION
4. Crop a piece up to 30 secs long (maximum) and then use ‘Normalise’ to bump up the volume (if required)
5. Save this selection with a changed name, to recognise it from its parent
6. Use ‘Get Info’ to change .m4a to .m4r
7. Open itunes and select/highlight ‘Ringtones’ on LH sidebar
8. Then drag Audio Hijack file onto that highlighted iTunes 'Ringtones' label
9. File is now in itunes
10. Now connect iphone to your mac via itunes and select Ringtone tab to sync file
11. Once sync complete, go into iPhone settings/sounds/ringtones there will now be a file in ‘Custom Ringtone’
12. Select your new custom ringtone and enjoy
13. Feel slightly smug (optional)

Cheers pm2012

Forum Links
Forum Rules