Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Firmware 2.1 out

Firmware 2.1 out (Page 2)
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2008, 10:30 PM

In no onthe about section it says 2.1 for sure !!! Man this is disappnting. If I restore would I lose all my info ? Any danger in restoring ?

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2008, 10:36 PM

hmmm I will have to restore them cause I don't see it. But I am site that the update happened. In the about section it says 2.1 ! Will I lose anything if I restore ?

The firwirw update says 5F136.

Sorry for the double post. Posting from iPhone on EDGE network ?!?
( Last edited by jorgem4; Sep 12, 2008 at 11:04 PM. )

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2008, 01:05 AM

from iLounge:

"While Genius playlist creation is listed as a new feature in the release notes of the iPhone 2.1 Software Update, iLounge has confirmed that the feature will not appear unless the user performs a sync following installation of the 2.1 software. First seen on the new iPod touch, the Genius playlist creation button is supposed to sit below the audio scrub bar on the Now Playing screen beside buttons for toggling shuffle and looped playback on and off. Normally, the bar and buttons can be accessed by tapping the screen while a song is playing.

If the iPhone is not synchronized after applying the 2.1 software update, the Genius button never materializes, leaving a sizable gap between the shuffle and repeat buttons. The feature is also missing from the top of the Playlists menu, where it would normally appear. Synchronizing the iPhone with the Sync button in iTunes fixes this issue, bringing the button and menu choices back."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2008, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Not to be picky, but 2.1 is a software update, not firmware.
Nonsense. The 2.1 update first updates the iPhone software and then in a second step the firmware. The firmware version number has changed. So quite obviously 2.1 is also a firmware update.

I took this shot a few moments ago while applying the 2.1 update.
( Last edited by Simon; Sep 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2008, 02:36 AM

After updating I noticed there's a new preference entry.

Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network

I've never had that before.

Looks like GPRS settings. Edit: Obviously the pref only shows up in some countries. I've seen a German iPhone with 2.1 and it didn't have it.
( Last edited by Simon; Sep 13, 2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added comment)

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2008, 03:52 AM

thank you ! Well done

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 05:46 AM

Well 2.1 borked me up pretty good. After the update it was locking up something fierce. Massive lag. iPod, Mail and Weather apps wouldn't load. Awesome. I did a restore and it seems to be working fine now, though it means I have to download all my IMAP mail all over again, one folder at a time. Damnit.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Sep 13, 2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Cut and paste was something I was hoping for. Maybe Christmas?

edit: I mean COPY and paste... it wouldn't do much good to cut and paste, now would it?
I'm thinking copy+paste and an application accessible Finder won't be ready until Microsoft (or other major player) is ready with a Pocket Office for iPhone. Microsoft and DataViz said they were looking towards iPhone development back when the App Store was announced (or was it much earlier?).
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2008, 08:17 AM

On the plus side for those still tirelessly lamenting over copy and paste (don't worry, it never gets boring to hear about it); it appears that if WiFi is active, 3G and GPRS is turned off.

Power saving I assume.
I have Mac

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by GENERAL_SMILEY View Post
On the plus side for those still tirelessly lamenting over copy and paste (don't worry, it never gets boring to hear about it); it appears that if WiFi is active, 3G and GPRS is turned off.

Power saving I assume.
What did it do before and how did you confirm this?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Nonsense. The 2.1 update first updates the iPhone software and then in a second step the firmware. The firmware version number has changed. So quite obviously 2.1 is also a firmare update.

I took this shot a few moments ago while applying the 2.1 update.
Hmm, my iPod said Upgrading iPod software. Perhaps 2.1 is a firmware update for the iPhone, just software for iPod.

Edit: I don't think Apple knows what it is. On Apple's website, they refer to it as a software update.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2008, 08:21 PM

Just returning to the thread in progress to say that my update went just fine, and I'm very pleased with the improved performance on my EDGE iPhone.

I wish it had gone as smoothly for everyone as it did for me.

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2008, 01:58 AM

The 2.1 update is great. Much more stable, much faster. And,mic triple-click now jumps to the previous track in the iPod.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2008, 02:13 AM

uchh, I just wish my iphone would hurry up with its last slow backup so 2.1 can get installed already.
I had a few problems downloading it and extracting it so I hope it goes well the rest of the way.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2008, 04:49 AM

Well even though I had to do a restore after the initial upgrade to 2.1, I'm very impressed. The UI is much smoother, contacts are snappy and the reception improvement is actually amazing: I now get no fewer then 2 reception bars and perfectly functioning data in the underground train downtown where I previously had ZERO reception. Fantastic!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2008, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
What did it do before and how did you confirm this?
The old version continued to show the 3G logo when connected via Wi-Fi.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2008, 08:39 AM

Does anyone know why they changed the look of the EDGE and 3G logos on the iPhone? It's not problematic; I'm just curious.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
I'm thinking copy+paste and an application accessible Finder won't be ready until Microsoft (or other major player) is ready with a Pocket Office for iPhone. Microsoft and DataViz said they were looking towards iPhone development back when the App Store was announced (or was it much earlier?).
It still seems strange that no one, including Apple has released anything along those lines.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2008, 11:32 AM

It still seems strange that no one, including Apple has released anything along those lines.
Third parties can't do it, since Apple only gives developers limited access to the OS.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 14, 2008, 11:37 AM

So far, I haven't really seen much difference in battery life.

While I get a few more bars in my apartment, I still toggle between EDGE and 3G occasionally (my RAZR gets crappy reception too, so I believe the problem to be my building).

The contacts list (120 entries, some with photos) still lags on start-up.

Safari crashed twice in two hours, but I haven't had the update long enough or enough Safari use to make it statistically significant.

Updating apps doesn't shift the icons around--nice!

Still no support for 802.1X WEP, so I can't connect to my company's wireless network.

Overall, I'm pleased with the update, but not blown away.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
Does anyone know why they changed the look of the EDGE and 3G logos on the iPhone? It's not problematic; I'm just curious.
I'm guessing so that it just blended in better with the clock. Just one of Apple's typical This Product Has Been Out For A Year Let's Change The UI A Tiny Bit moves.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
So far, I haven't really seen much difference in battery life.
I haven't generally, but leaving push on seems to drain my battery less now.

smoak5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2008, 02:19 PM

wondering if anyone else is having problems with maps/gps. I traveled to cleveland Ohio and when I use maps to find it location, it directs me to Delaware. It can't seem to get a gps signal because I never get a blue dot. Help?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2008, 02:53 PM

Well, uh Cleveland is so close to Delaware, and Apple is in California so they don't know all those confusing eastern states. Give 'em a break.

JK, my dad took a screenshot the other day from when he was in Chicago and it showed him in Canton, Ohio. The GPS isn't always perfect apparently.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The old version continued to show the 3G logo when connected via Wi-Fi.
It definitely didn't on mine and all the other iPhones I've seen.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2008, 05:07 PM

I've had a problem with Google Maps twice now where any map images don't load at all.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2008, 06:19 PM

It definitely didn't on mine and all the other iPhones I've seen.
Agreed, it's always been one or the other on both of my iPhones.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2008, 07:03 PM

Updated my Iphone 2.5G (from first production run). Took several hours to run the backup and update.

I have nothing but good news to report - MUCH faster between apps, better reception (I noticed usable signal in a regular location that used to be too weak), and amazingly quick downloads and updates on apps.

I was not looking for new functions - just hoping Apple had polished the OS to allow the current ones to work better.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2008, 01:16 AM

What do people make of this ./ story on borked WPA connectivity in 2.1?

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...49251&from=rss

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2008, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What do people make of this ./ story on borked WPA connectivity in 2.1?

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...49251&from=rss
Sounds fishy to me. No problems at all here using WPA2 with either my 1st generation iPod Touch or my 3G iPhone running OS 2.1. Of course, I can't comment on the 2nd generation iPod Touch; but the report still sounds questionable.

FWIW

wyattburp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2008, 11:04 AM

Any sense of stability and battery life improvement will be a bonus for me. I haven't been happy with the iphone since 2.0...nice concept, poorly implemented. Here's hoping 2.1 fixes all that!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2008, 04:24 PM

Interesting; after the update my gf's 8GB has become somewhat less stable. Mail seems to freeze.
But I think it's her.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2008, 09:00 PM

My battery life does seem much better. Before 2.1, any significant web surfing via 3G would drain the battery right down (was fine on EDGE or wifi). Today, I was on the web, loading pages frequently, via 3G and listening to iPod for over an hour with maybe 15% down on the battery. Something like that before 2.1 would have burned up over 50%. I'm most happy.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2008, 09:39 PM

This isn't related to 2.1 but can you guys charge over USB and talk on the phone for long periods without the battery going DOWN? I could with the 2.5G phone but this is my 3rd G3 (exchanged for other reasons) and it seems USB doesn't have enough power even when plugged right into the computer.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2008, 11:11 PM

Interesting; after the update my gf's 8GB has become somewhat less stable. Mail seems to freeze.
But I think it's her.
It's possible, for sure. See my initial post about my upgrade experience. I had to do a restore after the 2.1 upgrade because it made my phone unuseable - lockups galore and several apps wouldn't even load. After the restore, though, all is well and 2.1 rocks compared to all previous 2.x versions in my books.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
It's possible, for sure. See my initial post about my upgrade experience. I had to do a restore after the 2.1 upgrade because it made my phone unuseable - lockups galore and several apps wouldn't even load. After the restore, though, all is well and 2.1 rocks compared to all previous 2.x versions in my books.
I also noticed a new kind of lockup - the app (say, Solitaire) will freeze, but resume after maybe 10 seconds.
Might have to do a restore on her phone, she relies on this device for everything.

My 16GB 3G is fine (knock on anything resembling wood), except the battery life now appears somewhat worse, which contradicts my earlier assessment.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 10:33 AM

This isn't related to 2.1 but can you guys charge over USB and talk on the phone for long periods without the battery going DOWN? I could with the 2.5G phone but this is my 3rd G3 (exchanged for other reasons) and it seems USB doesn't have enough power even when plugged right into the computer.
Yes. My plugged in phone doesn't seem to use battery power. I use it to play music at work, no problems to report.
Plugged directly into (no hub, no screen) my MBP.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 10:34 AM

App download and install is dramatically faster. Like, whoa.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Yes. My plugged in phone doesn't seem to use battery power. I use it to play music at work, no problems to report.
Plugged directly into (no hub, no screen) my MBP.
Hmm, ya the question was TALKING on the phone not listening to music. You can imagine that talking uses way more power than music.

Try getting your battery close to zero then plug it into USB and make a long phone call. Not only will the iPhone not charge it will actually go down.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2008, 11:56 PM

Stupid bastages. I had a 3rd party combo AV cable that I was using to watch stuff on my iPhone 3G on an external TV.

iPhone firmware 2.1 killed that. Now I get about 10 seconds of video as a tease, and then it tells me my my iPhone AV cable isn't compatible.

It's not that my existing cable no longer works, cuz it was only a $10 cable. However, Apple's model costs 50 frickin' dollars. What a rip off.

N.B. People had the same issue upgrading from 1.1.4 to 2.0 on their previous model iPhones. However, I didn't have this problem with 2.0 on my 3G. I guess Apple is specifically updating the cable support to exclude 3rd party cables. ie. I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes out with a cable that works with 2.1, which will fail to work in 2.2.

When I was playing Bubble Bash, charging was a problem. Every so often it would warn me that I had hit the 10% power left threshold.

With it unplugged, it would hit it just once, and then drain power until it shut off.

With it plugged into USB, it would hit that 10% threshold more than once, as if it was a close balance between charging and power usage. Eventually it charged more than that 10% and didn't give that warning again, but it seems pretty clear that heavy usage of the phone can nearly max out the power draw from USB.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 03:03 AM

At some point the $50 Apple cable will become cheaper than buying a new el-cheapo cable with ever iPhones software update.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2008, 07:15 AM

Hey there, analogue SPRINKLES.

When I first read your report-cum-query, I thought I'd never find occasion to test this out. But, as it goes, I had just placed my 3G iPhone in its dock today after getting the "10% battery charge remaining" warning when a call from a buddy came in. I answered the call and we spoke for about 30 minutes. Remembering your post, I checked my battery's status after the call. It had charged quite a bit during the conversation, so I think it safe to say that it was charging fine while I gabbed away.

For reference, that was using a 3G iPhone (black) running OS 2.1 connected directly via USB to a 2.2 GHz MacBook (black) running Mac OS X 10.5.5. For the sake of detail, the USB cable itself was actually the one that came with my 1st generation iPod Touch; but surely that wouldn't provide any advantages or anything.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2008, 11:20 AM

At some point the $50 Apple cable will become cheaper than buying a new el-cheapo cable with ever iPhones software update.
I refuse to buy a $50 cable. Maybe I'll get it if I can find it cheaper somewhere else, but I simply won't pay $50 for it. However, I won't buy an eBay version either. I'll just do without.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2008, 08:56 PM

The good news with 2.1 is not only the speed... It seems Safari is much more stable now too. It crashes much less often. Safari was quite painful to use before on certain complex sites, because it would crash so often.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2008, 12:11 PM

The 2.1 update caused my mail to no longer get checked automatically (either push or fetch) while the phone is asleep. I get SMS and calendar alerts, and it checks mail fine manually or while the phone is awake or charging. Just not while sleeping. This is bad. Really bad.

There is a big thread on this on the Apple Discussion Forums.

I would be interested to hear people's experiences here.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The good news with 2.1 is not only the speed... It seems Safari is much more stable now too. It crashes much less often. Safari was quite painful to use before on certain complex sites, because it would crash so often.
I can confirm this.

Especially browsing multiple pages at once with music playing in the background seems to be a lot more stable with 2.1. My guess is they improved memory management and can now cope better with low mem situations.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2008, 12:22 PM

Which causes one to wonder why Apple keeps on breaking 3rd party cables ... protecting their vastly inflated aftermarket profit margins perhaps ...

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
The 2.1 update caused my mail to no longer get checked automatically (either push or fetch) while the phone is asleep.

I haven't read the thread on Apple's discussion board, and have no idea what may be causing your woes.To take a shot in the dark and without doing homework, maybe a setting was somehow changed in the process of updating? I imagine you would have explored this possibility already...

Either way, I can confirm that push mail is working just fine on my 3G iPhone under OS 2.1. It comes in promptly and without problem while the phone is sleeping, (and not charging). Fetch also works as it should.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2008, 10:17 AM

I already posted this as OT in another thread, but...

Is anyone else experiencing really low speaker phone/headset volume issues?

before 2.1 it was fine. This has popped up on two iPhones (8GB & 16GB)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
The 2.1 update caused my mail to no longer get checked automatically (either push or fetch) while the phone is asleep. I get SMS and calendar alerts, and it checks mail fine manually or while the phone is awake or charging. Just not while sleeping. This is bad. Really bad.

There is a big thread on this on the Apple Discussion Forums.

I have the same issue. Phone needs to be fully on for me to receive anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules