Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone crack case

iPhone crack case
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2008, 09:52 AM

hello

I just notice that my iPhone has developed cracks along the ring-mute button thru the plastic case. The iPhone is only like a month old. Anyone with similar issues ? Is this a warranty thing ?

I remember the issue with cracks on the plastic case early on the iPhone 3G launch, did apple warranty these devices ?

Thanks

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2008, 04:41 PM

Yup mine got the same problem in the same location after a month. Apple replaced it no questions asks as they could see there was no scratches anywhere else on the unit so I didn't drop it.

Take it to an Applestore and that should be the end of it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 07:39 PM

For sure. Cracked body = warranty issue.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2008, 03:20 PM

This is a known issue, and sadly, there's no guarantee that a replacement wont have the same problem. If your phone has no problems otherwise, I would wait a while and see if Apple does anything about this (in fact, that's what I'm doing with my current iPhone that has no less than 50 cracks).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
This is a known issue, and sadly, there's no guarantee that a replacement wont have the same problem. If your phone has no problems otherwise, I would wait a while and see if Apple does anything about this (in fact, that's what I'm doing with my current iPhone that has no less than 50 cracks).
Why wait? Is a trip to the store that bad? If you walk in after 6 months they might think you have been abusing it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 09:45 PM

This is a fairly common 3G issue.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2008, 10:40 AM

Walked in and 10 minutes after I had a new iPhone. The "Genious" saw the cracks and I showed hiam the particle or spec of "dust" or something behind the screen... new iPhone seems all good.

The restore process however took like 2 hours or more, but all of my setting accounts, texts, voice mails, averything was there after it was done.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Why wait? Is a trip to the store that bad? If you walk in after 6 months they might think you have been abusing it.
I just don't feel like continuously exchanging phones. The cracks from the defect are pretty distinct, and the last genius I talked to said I shouldn't have any problems exchanging it in the future. The nearest Apple store to me is an hour and a half away, so I'd rather wait a bit and see if this issue gets resolved. My phone is perfect except for the cracks, so I can live with it for a while longer.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
I just don't feel like continuously exchanging phones. The cracks from the defect are pretty distinct, and the last genius I talked to said I shouldn't have any problems exchanging it in the future. The nearest Apple store to me is an hour and a half away, so I'd rather wait a bit and see if this issue gets resolved. My phone is perfect except for the cracks, so I can live with it for a while longer.
I hear your point but I think you're taking a chance. One genius says it wont be a problem to replace it one day and then six months later another genius tells you that they don't replace phones for cosmetic damage with a sneer on his face. I don't have any cracks on my phone which I've had for two months.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2008, 07:27 PM

Hmm, that's true. I'll probably see if there's a time coming up when it would be easy for me to get there, and then I'll get it taken care of.

Forum Links
Forum Rules