Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installation Log to find where a program installed itself to?

Installation Log to find where a program installed itself to?
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2009, 09:43 PM

Hi,

I downloaded a little dinky game, installed in on my machine. But i can't find where the game was installed or what the installation did.

Is there with in MacOS X an intallation Log ? Some where were i can see what has been installed in my machine ?

Thanks,

ghporter
Administrator
May 10, 2009, 09:02 AM

What did you do to install it? There are typically two ways to install software on a Mac: by dragging the app to your Applications folder, or by running an installer package. If you just dragged it to Apps, you can go there, find the thing and drag it to the Trash-poof, it's gone. If you ran an installer package, it almost certainly did create a log. The question is where, and that depends on how that installer was coded.

If you told us what that dinky little game was, maybe someone knows about it and can help find where the game and log are.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the reply,

The game used a installer package. and that part went smoothly... but i could no find it in my hard drive. Then i looked thought my applications folder and did not see it... so i ran the install package again. Looked in the applications folder and found it. It was just under what must have been the developers name and not the games name.

Thank again.

ghporter
Administrator
May 11, 2009, 06:26 PM

Glad you got your problem resolved.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JKT
Professional Poster
May 12, 2009, 06:48 AM

Btw, if it is using Apple's installer (e.g. if it is a .pkg or .mpkg file), when you reach the stage were you select the destination hard drive (and click one to select it), you can see where files will be installed by then selecting File>Show Files option from the menubar. A window will open which shows you the directories and files that will be installed and where.

Forum Links
Forum Rules