Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hey all you d@mn canadians!

Hey all you d@mn canadians!
John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2001, 12:05 AM

I'm planning on going to Canada for the fall of '02. I'd like to go someplace very far North, such as the NW Territories, and the like. Does anybody have any good suggestions as to where I should go?

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by John B. Smith:
<STRONG>I'm planning on going to Canada for the fall of '02. I'd like to go someplace very far North, such as the NW Territories, and the like. Does anybody have any good suggestions as to where I should go?</STRONG>
u are aware that its cold up there, right???
and u probably wont survive, but if u do, u wont be same...
canada does some terrible things to a man...and if u do survive that, those crazy canucks will finish u off...

be careful, trust noone...
i wear maroon so your blood doesn't show

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 7, 2001, 12:24 AM

My brother visited Alaska not too long ago, I can't imagine it could be any worse in North West Canada.

Mike

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2001, 01:22 AM

As a man comes, so he departs.

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2001, 01:33 AM

Bring mittens.

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2001, 02:15 AM

Two words: Yukon

NWT is a dump....okay I haven't been there, but I imagine it's a dump.
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

mithral
Dec 7, 2001, 03:40 AM

I've been to the NW Territories and the Yukon. Lovely places. Tons of great scenery, huge national parks. Friendly people, I found.

But, Jesus, the bugs. They're enormous, and there's HORDES of them. They've got these tiny little things they call "no-see-ums" (no see them, get it?) that give bites that itch like nothing else in this world.

It's lonely in NWTerr, too. We drove into a campground one day in summer, and nobody had been there in five days. A cloud of bugs followed us everywhere.

Moral of the story: bring bug spray.

-mithral
Curse you, El Macho!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2001, 05:20 AM

Come to Alaska instead. After all, it's AMERICA! Nothing against Canada, but come to AK, and if you desire a jaunt to the Yukon, it's right there waiting for you. (If they let you across the border, but that's another topic.)

Actually, if you've decided that Canada is your destination, might I recomend B.C? It's beautiful any time of the year, and their National Parks and campgrounds are second to none. So are the strip clubs and weed, so I hear...

Have fun!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2001, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
<STRONG>Come to Alaska instead. After all, it's AMERICA!</STRONG>
So what is your Point?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2001, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>

So what is your Point?</STRONG>
Maybe, just maybe, he wants tourism money to help American families.
"I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not to some mid-level bureaucrat with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies."

dtriska
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by mithral:
<STRONG>I've been to the NW Territories and the Yukon. Lovely places. Tons of great scenery, huge national parks. Friendly people, I found.

But, Jesus, the bugs. They're enormous, and there's HORDES of them. They've got these tiny little things they call "no-see-ums" (no see them, get it?) that give bites that itch like nothing else in this world.

It's lonely in NWTerr, too. We drove into a campground one day in summer, and nobody had been there in five days. A cloud of bugs followed us everywhere.

Moral of the story: bring bug spray.

-mithral</STRONG>
I went to the Yukon this past summer, and I'll back up everything mithral said. I made it to Dawson City, but you should try to get to Inuvik or Aklavik.

And, as Han's� said, bring warm clothes. I'm not sure when in the Fall of 2002 you'll be coming, but the Yukon, NWT and Nunavut are all pretty much between -20 and -30 degrees Celsius right now. Unless, of course, you mean Canada, KY.

John B. Smith  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2001, 04:25 PM

Come to Alaska instead. After all, it's AMERICA! Nothing against Canada, but come to AK, and if you desire a jaunt to the Yukon, it's right there waiting for you. (If they let you across the border, but that's another topic.)
It would seem to me that Alaska is a little more Russian than American, despite the fact that we own Alaska..

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2001, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Father OCN:
<STRONG>

Maybe, just maybe, he wants tourism money to help American families. </STRONG>
Ya I hear those people up in Alaska are really suffering lately

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2001, 05:26 PM

America: No border crossing, no currency exchange, miles instead of kilometers, no caffeine in the Mountian Dew. In other words, familiarity. If John is flying, then the border crossing is moot.

No, we are not suffering from the 9/11 attacks up here, but if I can talk anyone under the age of 60 to come see our great state, I consider this a good thing.

I enjoy Canada! I grew up 40 miles from the Canadian border in Haines, Alaska, and the only road out of town went through Canada. How come nobody comments on my statement that B.C. has the finest parks and rec program in the world? Why focus on the fact that I suggest Alaska over Canada? Really, I suggested John do both Alaska and Canada, and I stand by it.

Have a great trip, John, and if you want any "insider" information on AK, just let me know.

Sam I Am
Dec 7, 2001, 05:35 PM

BC's the Best... Besides we have Whistler (best skiing on the planet or close to), vast range of scenery (everything from the mountains, to rainforest to deserts), you'll get the benefit of a great exchange rate (in your favour), and yes we do have the best weed bar none... heh heh heh

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2001, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
<STRONG> no caffeine in the Mountian Dew. </STRONG>
WTF?!?!?!
I happen to be drinking a can right now, and there is indeed caffeine in it. Why else would I be drinking it?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2001, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>

WTF?!?!?!
I happen to be drinking a can right now, and there is indeed caffeine in it. Why else would I be drinking it? </STRONG>
Definitely not for the way it tastes, that's for damn sure!

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 07:40 PM

Hey, never mind that "Canada is cold" comment I made earlier. When I left the house today, the first words out of my mouth were, "Oh God, it's hot!" It was about -2 degrees Celsius, and I was cooking. This is in a fleece jacket, not done up, and a light shirt. No winter clothes. But, I guess it's all relative.

I don't know how much time or money you have for this adventure, but I would suggest making a trip through British Columbia, up to the Yukon and NWT, and then visiting Alaska. I don't know if you'll get far enough east to hit Nunavut.

I highly recommend Dawson City, but Fall is probably not the time to go. Practically everyone leaves the city and heads south for the winter. I'm also a little cautious to recommend traveling all the way through B.C. to get to the Yukon; I can't remember the highway number, but the north end of the main north-south highway was absolutely horrible. The locals told me that the road is always in poor condition because of the climate of the particular area, the heavy use of the road, and the inability of B.C.'s transport department to keep up.

And if you want to see the world's biggest mall, swing on by Edmonton, Alberta. You can visit WestWorld while you're there.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 7, 2001, 09:09 PM

Do the chicks up there really say "aboot" instead of "about"?

Mike

DBursey
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2001, 10:40 AM

No. That's a silly stereotype. We no more say 'aboot' than you guys say 'y'all' or y'hear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules