Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Missing iPod function

Missing iPod function
Burn
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2002, 09:10 PM

With the 1.1 software - you could set the iPod to play at a specific volume when you turned it on for the first time (daily - not the very FIRST time only). I liked this feature, since I often take my iPod off when I come home from work, listening to some Richie Hawtin or Carl Cox .. volume turned up, very very far. Then throw everything back on next day.. push the button.. jog wheel jog wheel jog wheel, play.

1.1 allowed you to set a volume that it would play at for the first time, you'd never blow your ears out first thing in the morning (or whenever).. 1.2 turfed it.

Oh well.. I heard the Jaguar update sync's with the iPod Clock.. iCal rocks.. ya win some, ya lose some.

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 03:24 AM

Funny I noticed this too, just yesterday.
My ipod had been off since the previous day, when it was connected to my stereo, and I started it in the morning...WHHHHAAAAMMMM. Just a tad on the loud side, I hunted everywhere for the setting...I do remember setting it, somewhere in the mid levels. Now I can't find that setting. I guess Apple wants us to use "Sound Check" for this function, it's not really the same thing...and it drains battery life.

As long and I have my music.
Oh yeah and maybe you deserve it w/ those awesome headphones you have. and then there is Me w/ my lowly Phontopia's.

jaxxe
Aug 20, 2002, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by Burn:
1.1 allowed you to set a volume that it would play at for the first time, you'd never blow your ears out first thing in the morning (or whenever).. 1.2 turfed it.

Actually, 1.2 maintains the volume that you had last set it to. So when you turn it off, instead of resetting, it keeps the volume from when you had switched the iPod off. Also, it does a great job "remembering" places you had recently navigated. For instance, navigate through Browse/Artists/etc until you can't navigate any more. Then back out, and select Playlists and do the same thing. Then back out and select Browse once more. You'll see that where you navigated before is highlighted for you. I believe we are just beginning to touch on the potential of this little guy, the iPod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules