Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod :-(

iPod :-(
John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2001, 07:03 PM

let firtst off say, that apple, has shot themselves in the foot,. I bought this "iPod" for $400, but when i got home to hook it up to my 386 via SCSI, i was shocked to find, there is no SCSI support! on top of that, i have no way to imort my old 45's. this is rediculous! here is a list of all the problems with "ipod" 1. no SCSI support(or parallel) 2. no blinking lights 3. no leather armband 4.too easy to lose 5. have to own a computer newer than 3yrs old. 6. to heavy 7. why have 5gigs when you can have 128mb on the fly. Apple has inovated themselves right into economic colapse for sure! "think screwed"

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2001, 07:11 PM

SCSI ?? Parrallel ?? 45's ?? 128 mb on the fly ?? No offense but we are in 2001, nearly 2002. Not in 1990 ... You should have checked the Apple website or asked someone before buying your iPod ...

S k y p a t
S k y p a t

spaceLenny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2001, 07:18 PM

HAHAHHAHHAHAHA...wait...wait...HAHAHHAHAHAHH

Ok, let me get this straight....

You are complaining that Apple made a product that YOU bought without actually reading anything about, then they had the unmitigated audacity of FORCING you to buy it (without researching it) and and and.... IT DIDNT WORK?!?!

Oh man, your post gets better,
5. have to own a computer newer than 3yrs old.
and because of that fact, they have
inovated themselves right into economic colapse for sure! "think screwed"
Yeah, i can see how since you cant use it, and also you can't use most firewire periphs, over external scsi...APPLE IS ABOUT TO GO BANKRUPT!!

Hmm...odd tho, I have one...seems to work, I haven't lost it, and you know what?

My old 45's are available on CD, so i think ill just buy them if they're that important to me, but I suppose that Microsoft is also going under cause XP doesn't include an 8-track to MP3 converter...and i dont think old hardware can run XP either!!!

ALL COMPUTER COMPANIES ARE ABOUT TO GO UNDER!!!

Dave

John B. Smith  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2001, 09:45 PM

LOL.. actually, this isn't MY review.. I found it at Cnet's webpage for the iPod, and clicked "Negative Reviews" and found this one, amongst about 4 others, and thought it was kind of amusing.

I'm looking forward to getting my iPod

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2001, 11:53 PM

Wow. Some people have an INCREDIBLE inability to recognize sarcasm... and then go out of their way to spread it around. Scary.

John B. Smith  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2001, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>Wow. Some people have an INCREDIBLE inability to recognize sarcasm... and then go out of their way to spread it around. Scary.</STRONG>
perhaps if I were more of a nerd I would have recognized the sarcasm. my bad

seabrian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2001, 01:51 AM

I was disappointed that my iPod didn't come preloaded with Barenaked Ladies songs like my iBook. (SARCASM)

Did anyone else realize how much of their initial hard disk space was wasted on by a wealth of mp3's from Apple?

my iPod now has 30megs free. oy.

John B. Smith  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2001, 02:17 AM

You've got mail from the Pope

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2001, 11:43 AM

uh... what?

-r.

Natron
Dec 1, 2001, 01:49 PM

1. no SCSI support(or parallel)
What, they still make those?

2. no blinking lights
Blinking lights? Don't tell me blinking lights are THAT entertaining.

3. no leather armband
Leather armband? Umm....riiiiiight.

4.too easy to lose
If you pay $400 for something, then lose it, you probably don't deserve to have one in the first place.

[quote]5. have to own a computer newer than 3yrs old. [QUOTE]
::Trying to think of the last time I've used a computer 3 years old or older.:: No, can't come up with one.

6. to heavy
Too heavy? What about the Archos Jukebox Player (or whatever it is), the closest equivalent in storage size I can see. Strap that sucker to Bill Gates and watch 'em sink.

7. why have 5gigs when you can have 128mb on the fly.
5 gigs vs. 128MB....hmmmm.....let me think about that....

Apple has inovated themselves right into economic colapse for sure! "think screwed"
ummmm...yea....whatever you say...

-Natron

Is it just me, or does anybody else just love seeing PC users complain about the iPod being Mac only? Pure and utter jealousy, plain and simple.
"People spend too much time finding other people to blame, too much energy finding excuses for not being what they are capable of being, and not enough energy putting themselves on the line, growing out of the past, and getting on with their lives." JMS

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2001, 10:59 PM

dont worry i was pissed off when i dint get my apple logo stickers....yes i'm filing a complaint. =]
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2001, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by John B. Smith:
<STRONG>

perhaps if I were more of a nerd I would have recognized the sarcasm. my bad </STRONG>
No need to be a nerd� more like just possess some additional basic reading comprehension skills that delve a little beyond Jack and Jill level. Also lose some of the �read EVERYTHING looking for a slam against Apple and be ready to fire off both barrels without thinking first� attitude some Mac users tend to have. It's a pretty funny bit that actually pokes fun at the people bitching about the iPod. Come on, you have to be a 'nerd' to know how rediculous the reference to a 386 is, or a 45 record? Can�t import his 45 collection? (heh heh, that's pretty funny actually!) Even the 5 gigs vs. 128megs went over some heads! Only 'nerds' can do basic math these days?

Unfortunately, Mac users have a tendency to prove the rest of the computing world correct that they are a bunch of over-sensitive knee-jerks- ignorant of virtually everything beyond the translucent plastic world of Cupertino, completely unable to take a joke�or even spot one in the first place. Like I said� scary!

John B. Smith  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2001, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>
Mac users have a tendency to prove the rest of the computing world correct that they are a bunch of over-sensitive knee-jerks- ignorant of virtually everything beyond the translucent plastic world of Cupertino, completely unable to take a joke�or even spot one in the first place. Like I said� scary!</STRONG>
you are definitely a nerd

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2001, 05:04 PM

Irony. Along with sarcasm, the basis of English humour. Totally lost on most of our American chums. Saying '...NOT!' is not sarcasm.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2001, 10:12 PM

Hey isn't this that dumbass, that posted those crapy pictures in the lounge. I say we start up that let beat John B Smith topic again.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 07:21 PM

I was disappointed that my iPod didn't come preloaded with Barenaked Ladies songs like my iBook. (SARCASM)
Hey, the barenaked ladies kick ass!

I saw this review on cnet too. If anything, the review would further coax me into buying an ipod, as his listed negative aspects are so negligible. He did a poor job criticizing the ipod... er whatever he was doing.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2001, 09:49 PM

BNL are canadian thusly they suck end of story

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2001, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>BNL are canadian thusly they suck end of story</STRONG>
unlike all those fabulous bands that broke out of maine, right?

-r.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2001, 11:26 PM

yup

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2001, 11:34 AM

Anyone check this thing out... Ewwwwww.....

Their so called features:

* 10 GB embedded hard drive [NICE]
* Rechargeable Li-Ion battery [OK]
* Pocket-sized and lightweight [NICE]
* Large, easy-to-read LCD display [LOOKS LIKE CRAP]
* Made in the USA [GOOD]
* Supports MP3 and Windows Media� files [MP3 = GOOD]
* Fully upgradeable firmware [NICE]
* USB interface [ICK!!! No Firewire??? 10G via USB = 1 YEAR]
* e.Digital's Smart Song Selection� allows for file navigation while listening [WOW... &lt;joke&gt;]
* Battery capable of playing for approximately 6 hours with a single charge [BAD]
* Compact, user-friendly design [UGLY]
* Universal Fast Charger capable of fully replenishing battery life in under 3 hours [3 HOURS of charge FOR 6 HOURS of play????]
* Sturdy and stylish brushed aluminum case [BULL S@#$... It's UGLY]
* Large capacity can be used to store and/or transfer data files as well as music [NICE]
* Ships with MusicMatch Jukebox Software and e.Digital Music Explorer� software for voice and music file management [SOFTWARE SUCKS]
* 180-day limited warranty* [OK]

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2001, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>

* Made in the USA [GOOD]

]</STRONG>
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Playing a fileformat (mp3) developed in Germany.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2001, 01:19 PM

Their so called features:
Uh oh, we can tell this is not going to start out well...

* 10 GB embedded hard drive [NICE]
Somewhat small actually. 20 gig players are common now, and 48 gig are possible. For most though, that is more then enough space.

* Rechargeable Li-Ion battery [OK]
Same technology thats in the iPod. The iPod just has a flexible version of this.

* Pocket-sized and lightweight [NICE]
Definitly good to see. It shouldn't be a pain to carry around.

* Large, easy-to-read LCD display [LOOKS LIKE CRAP]
Have you seen it in person? It should have an option of a backlight though...

* Made in the USA [GOOD]
No comment

* Supports MP3 and Windows Media� files [MP3 = GOOD]
Nothing wrong with WMA support, it dosen't impair the use of the device.

* Fully upgradeable firmware [NICE]
Definitly a plus, now if they use this for adding new formats, etc...

* USB interface [ICK!!! No Firewire??? 10G via USB = 1 YEAR]
Well USB is not quite that slow, but it should have at least USB 2.0. Putting in USB ensures compatibility across many systems. If the iPod wasn't just aimed at the Mac market, the Firewire only move would have been suicide.

* e.Digital's Smart Song Selection� allows for file navigation while listening [WOW... &lt;joke&gt;]
It counts as a feature, since there are players that don't allow this.

* Battery capable of playing for approximately 6 hours with a single charge [BAD]
Not great, but not horrid. The Creative jukebox gets about 2-4 hours.

* Compact, user-friendly design [UGLY]
Personal opponion only...

* Universal Fast Charger capable of fully replenishing battery life in under 3 hours [3 HOURS of charge FOR 6 HOURS of play????]
Under 3 hours... Who knows, this might have the "fast charge" of the iPod to get to 80% quickly.

* Sturdy and stylish brushed aluminum case [BULL S@#$... It's UGLY]
Again, just a personal opponion. I really don't think the iPaq is all that in design. It's nice.

* Large capacity can be used to store and/or transfer data files as well as music [NICE]
Agreed, can be very useful.

* Ships with MusicMatch Jukebox Software and e.Digital Music Explorer� software for voice and music file management [SOFTWARE SUCKS]
But you can use other ripping software.

* 180-day limited warranty* [OK]
I don't like any warranty this short. An extended warranty would be nice.

Honestly, look at things in an equal light. Yes the iPod has features over this one, but it also costs more, and many people may not need firewire speeds. I own a 26gb car player, and definitly did not have the need to fill it in a small amount of time.
<This space under renovation>

John B. Smith  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2001, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>Hey isn't this that dumbass, that posted those crapy pictures in the lounge. I say we start up that let beat John B Smith topic again.</STRONG>
Just 'cause your a yankee doesn't mean you need to take it out on me..

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2001, 03:47 PM

I agree that the warranty is too short. I did buy an iPod from Mac Mall with an extended service plan so I added 4 years to the warrany for $80. The cost is ok with me since I LOVE the iPod. If you have a firewire Mac this is the MP3 player for you.

Aaron Rushin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2001, 04:02 AM

IDIOT

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2001, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by Aaron Rushin:
<STRONG>IDIOT</STRONG>
Charming - especially for a first post....

John B. Smith  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2001, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Aaron Rushin:
<STRONG>IDIOT</STRONG>
maybe he was alluding to himself?

sMACk
Dec 11, 2001, 04:05 AM

LOL, its a joy to hear PC users trying to justify a piece of crap, at least compared to the iPod.

Cipher13
Dec 11, 2001, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by sMACk:
<STRONG>LOL, its a joy to hear PC users trying to justify a piece of crap, at least compared to the iPod.</STRONG>
Know what's even funnier than ignorant PC users? Apple apologists

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2001, 02:37 PM

It's odd that a few months ago, the Treo would have looked really good to me. Well, the design is a bit uninspired, but the features/price would have made me consider one.

When the iPod came out, I was disappointed. I blame this on the Apple hype machine combined with the rumor sites getting my expectations too high. I told any one that asked, "it's nice, but it's just an mp3 player, and way too expensive." Well it grew on me. A lot. This weekend, I bought one. I don't know that I have been as amazed or enjoyed a piece of technology this much since I bought my first Mac, a 512k. Back then, as the child of an IBMer, I was a dedicated PC user, and the Mac was "nice, but just a computer, and way too expensive."

The iPod has changed the way I think about mp3 players in the same way my 512 changed the way I thought about computers. It is an amazing little machine. Apple should be proud.

Paco

Forum Links
Forum Rules