Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What is that buzzing sound?

What is that buzzing sound?
Burn
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 01:26 PM

Hi,

Recently picked up a Ti550 (loving it)
I notice this buzzing sound emitting from underneath the keyboard though (specifically close to the F5 to F12 keys). It's not the HD, CD or fan.. it's a faint buzz quiet buzz quiet buzz quiet.. the buzz lasts for about a second.. the quiet just a fraction of. I can hear it when sitting at the book, it's more ovious in a really quiet setting.

It seems to be running fine all the way around.. except for when I plugged it into a 52" Plasma display the other day.. the picture was flicking a little.. coincidentally it was flickering pretty close to the cycling buzz I am hearing now. I can't confirm that they are related since I haven't had the time to play. This flickering does not exist when attached to my 17"CRT ASD.

This is happening in OSX w/256 ram (yes my gig is on the way
I am going to reboot now into 9 to see if it exists there as well. But I am pretty sure I already noticed that it does.

Help! I don't really want to go to a repair centre and lose my machine for who knows how long.. but I am still under warranty so if it's neccessary - Ill go.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Burn ]

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 01:49 PM

Ok.. it is present in OS 9 too. Ecept that it doesn't cycle.. it's just buzzing constantly now.

It does seem to be directly linked to some functions though.
If I grab and move around an open finder window, it stops.. when launching something.. the HD access is definitely interuppting the sound (the sound stops for every little disc access). When the disc is chugging around a bit.. it drops out and in with those familiar HD noises. Dragging around an application window doesn't do anything to the sound.

I could pop the keyboard but this sound is almost electrical.. don't know that I would see anything..

Any suggestions?
(other than to the repair centre)

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Burn ]

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 02:01 PM

Interesting,

Booted back into X and instead of the buzz dropping out.. now there's a very faint tick instead.

She's gonna blow!!

Seriously though.. I am not uber concerned.. unless someone else has had this and is going to tell me it's the motherboard or something

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 02:23 PM

Hi,

Try using TiBook in a completely diferent place, maybe it could be some kind of electromagnetic interference. With my PB FW happens something alike when I work near to Mobile Phone Antennas and always when getting mobile phone calls when the mobile phone is near to the PB.

Well, I hope we are talking about the same buzzing sound, if not, take it as my 5 cents opinion and be aware that can be wrong.

Kind Regards

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 04:10 PM

Thanks.. Already been to different locations to try..

At work, at home, wherever.. it's buzzing!

tweetymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 01:03 AM

Well - you're not alone. I've noticed the very same buzzing sound coming from the same place on my new Ti 667 - which is not quite two months old now.

One thing I noticed about it is that when you're scrolling a window (say, a browser window) clicking on the scroll bar and moving with the trackpad, the buzzing stops until you let go of the trackpad button again. This makes me think it's related to the processor somehow.

Is there a uber slim fan mounted on the processor? I've noticed the plethora of heatsink material under the keyboard, so perhaps not.

It's a real mystery - I'd like to hear any others who've noticed this chime in here . . . is it normal, or is it abnormal? Can we expect our beloved Ti's to be making a visit to the repair centre sometime in the near future? Are our logic boards slowly frying to death??

Yikes!! Still LOVE my TiBook though!

ajbaker
Mar 8, 2002, 07:17 AM

Yup I have the exact same issue here! I assumed it was normal since no one else has brought it up before. It must be interference of some kind, is slightly annoying, but I cant see it being too dangerous.

Certainly not mobile related.

Any ideas? I'm the last one that wants to return their machine!

Andrew

Drenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 03:14 PM

Hi,

That is not normal....the book should be almost silent. You could have a logic,processor, or DC in problem if it is electical. I have heard an ocassional buzzing from the speakers which usually leads to a bad DC in however you said this is not comming from the speakers. You might want to get that in and have it looked at. Better to bring it in while your under warranty then wait and have the machine die down the road for this purpose that you thought was normal, and end up paying big bucks in the end for.

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2002, 06:48 PM

Great,

Thank you Drenn.. was planning on it early next week.. all under warranty so it doesn't hurt to check it out eh?

TweetyMac, fellow Van - Islander!!
Like that bit of snow we got? hehe.

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2002, 07:47 PM

Hi again,

Just spent the past hour over at the Apple Discussion Boards and found no less than 5 different threads relating to this exact problem. No one has any results whoever.. some have sent their machines in, but I guess never felt like updating the situation for us..

Still in the dark. I am assuming that if people have had this problem as far back as January, then it's not like the thing will blow up on me.. but then again - who knows..

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2002, 08:21 PM

Ok,

Ran the Hardware test CD that came with the machine, nothing.

With my ear down there.. over the fkey area.. the noise grows louder when pressing brightness up or down, volume up or down or F12(eject).

No other keys modify the sound at all.

This is sounding like a definite hardware issue.. maybe something with the power? Sort of reminds me of the feedback I get from an older Halogen light I have.. sometimes if you touch the switch.. the light gets a tiny bit brighter, like I am closing a power leak loop or something at the switch..

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by tweetymac:
<STRONG>One thing I noticed about it is that when you're scrolling a window (say, a browser window) clicking on the scroll bar and moving with the trackpad, the buzzing stops until you let go of the trackpad button again.</STRONG>
I doubt it is speciafically processor related, however, it is most certainly a hardware issue. If the sound disappears when you are pressing the trackpad, you are grounding the system. When you let go, it seems that there is a ground-fault. This is potentially dangerous to the inards of the computer. It is better to be safe than sorry -- I would recommend taking it in.
iMac therefor iAm

tweetymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Burn:
<STRONG>Ok,

Ran the Hardware test CD that came with the machine, nothing.

With my ear down there.. over the fkey area.. the noise grows louder when pressing brightness up or down, volume up or down or F12(eject).

No other keys modify the sound at all.

This is sounding like a definite hardware issue.. maybe something with the power? Sort of reminds me of the feedback I get from an older Halogen light I have.. sometimes if you touch the switch.. the light gets a tiny bit brighter, like I am closing a power leak loop or something at the switch..</STRONG>
Hi Burn!

Wow - more than one TiBook on Vancouver Island - cool!

I hadn't thought to check the Apple forums; I'm off there now to check what has been discussed.

The previous poster suggested it's hardware related due to the disappearing buzz when trackpad button is pushed in a browser window and that this might relate to the grounding of the computer. Hmmm, not too knowledgeable about electrical things.

You previously suggested the buzz is related to the screen brightness setting - I've tried this but have not noticed a relationship there. Still a big mystery here.

I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for a quick and (hopefully) easy resolution!

TM.

tweetymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 01:25 AM

Removed Double Post

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: tweetymac ]

himself
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 09:09 PM

This sounds a lot like an issue people were having with the "inverter board" on older (pre TiBook) PowerBooks. I can't remeber exactly what the inverter board does, but it is part of the display system... possibly backlighting or the LCD itself. The board was known to make a noticeable "buzzing" noise. Search the PowerBook forums for something with "inverter" or "inverter board" in it and I am sure you will find out what the deal is.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules