Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > International Traveling (for a student)

International Traveling (for a student)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 11:33 PM

I am planning to travel to South Korea (Pukgu, Kwang ju) in December to visit a friend there (I live in Calgary, Canada). I would have a place to stay and all that..

But other than that, I am really rather confused about what to do.

Like what is a Visa? Do I need one if I am going to visit there?

Obviously I need a passport, are these difficult to get? What kind of time frame do I have.. like, how long does it take to process?

And airfare!! Ack!! I am a student!! I am rather poor! I was playing around on Air Canada's website, and prices for the trip were like 2500 CAN (1800ish US). Are there days when the rates are a lot cheaper? Do the rates go up over holidays? Any suggestions to make this price affordable?

Hmm. And any advice about South Korea? Anyone ever visited it? What's it like?

Thanks for the help, btw.
( Last edited by 11011001; Aug 27, 2003 at 11:39 PM. )

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2003, 11:37 PM

About your passport, you'll need to find a photographer who does passport photos and get your picture taken by them. Make sure not the smile if you're from Ontario, they just changed something so now you have to provide a serious face. :/
As far as flying there, I was told it's more expensive if you want to pick your flight, if you call them up and have them schedule something for you when it fits them best it should be cheaper.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 11:44 PM

Here is the link that should answer most of your questions. Yes on the passport. You shouldn't need a visa unless you are going to work or go to school over there. As for cheap flights to that part of the world, I will have to defer to others.

http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

Have fun!

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by mydog8mymac:
http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html
Woops! I just clued in that you're not from 'round here. I'm sure you folks got some similar govt. info.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2003, 11:51 PM

As far as cheap flights, I usually search all the discount flight sites. travelocity.com, orbitz.com, expedia.com, &c. Since you're a student, you should check out studentuniverse.com as well. I recommend looking through as many of them as possible to find the best deal. Some of the sites only work for flights out of the US, so you might want to look for Canada-specific sites like this, or you could leave from the US after getting here by train, bus, flight, whatever.

nbnz
Senior User
Aug 28, 2003, 12:01 AM

Have a look at LonelyPlanet.com for South Korea Info.
About the Visa, I found this quote on their website
If you're from Western Europe or Canada, you can get up to 90 days visa-free.
Here, I've even got the link for the Canadian Passport Office

Have a good trip.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2003, 12:03 AM

check out

www.statravel.com

they are a special ticket agency for students. They have offices around the US, and have very good prices.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 12:24 AM

unfortunately passports are not cheap anymore either...what is it now $85 plus the cost of the (non-smiley, non-frown, look as plain and expressionless as possible) photo.

check some of the cdn online places for flights...if you don't have to travel on specific days you should be able to get a better deal...
destina.ca, travelocity.ca, expedia.ca - they'll all give you prices in cdn dollars.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Forum Links
Forum Rules