Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Low xBench numbers with 15" Al

Low xBench numbers with 15" Al
pdub99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 02:44 AM

Hi there. I ran xBench for the first time, and I seem to be getting really low numbers.

I've got a 1.25 Ghz 15", and the overall score is 88.27, with CPU Test at 93.64. Most of the other CPU tests scores seem to be up around 140+ for the same CPU.

The machine is plugged in, it's set tp highest performance, it was a clean reboot, etc.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I installed the dev tools with Panther, and this installed the Hardware System Pref that always seemed to have the 512Kb cache disabled. I rightclick-removed the pref and rebooted, but that didn't do anything.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by pdub99:
Hi there. I ran xBench for the first time, and I seem to be getting really low numbers.

I've got a 1.25 Ghz 15", and the overall score is 88.27, with CPU Test at 93.64. Most of the other CPU tests scores seem to be up around 140+ for the same CPU.

The machine is plugged in, it's set tp highest performance, it was a clean reboot, etc.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I installed the dev tools with Panther, and this installed the Hardware System Pref that always seemed to have the 512Kb cache disabled. I rightclick-removed the pref and rebooted, but that didn't do anything.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Run the activity monitor and see if you have something hogging your resources. I know Faxstf running in the background can cause a slowdown....

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 04:05 PM

I got a score of 100.36 on my 15'' 1GHz w/256 mb of RAM. You should see what is running in the background...

RGray02
Nov 8, 2003, 05:31 PM

I think I should also add that upgrading to panther dropped my machine from a 93 to a 79. I dont know why, I didnt install the dev tools either.

perhaps panther is disabling the l2 cache on some computers....

I have a stock 1ghz albook. Completely stock, like the one they have on the apple website.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2003, 06:35 PM

Those are terrible scores. First of all, everyone needs to make sure their computers are plugged in and have performance set to the highest for the best scores. When I did a clean install on my 1.25ghz albook(1gig ram), 5400rpm drive, I got 125, now that I have almost filled up the hd and installed many apps I get around 114. Hope this helps with some of you. If you have a 1.25ghz machine and a fresh os install, and you get below 100, you got some bad hardware or something.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

ddma
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 02:03 AM

I found this can be fix by changing the Energy Saver system preference. Select Highest instead of default Automatic will help.

pdub99  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 02:57 AM

Yeah, I realized this about an hour after I posted. I had my machine set to automatic, and when it is plugged in, the processor is still controlled by automagic. Switched it over to highest performance, and the score jumped up to 151 for the CPU, and 112 or so overall. They need an embarassed emoticon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules