Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jim Henson's attempt at Star Wars?

Jim Henson's attempt at Star Wars?
ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 06:10 PM

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 06:11 PM

If that was a dis at Jim Henson I'll wade across the Atlantic, locate your Baseball lovin' behind and slap it silly.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 06:18 PM

"Once upon a time, there was a boy named John�one day he was doing astronaut things�"

After I heard that I had to stop it. Cheesy! And the bad acting, don't waste your time.

ManOfSteal  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
If that was a dis at Jim Henson I'll wade across the Atlantic, locate your Baseball lovin' behind and slap it silly.
Since Jim is now passed, I won't knock "him"; however, I will knock his company for creating this terrible attempt of a show...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Since Jim is now passed, I won't knock "him"; however, I will knock his company for creating this terrible attempt of a show...
Were the puppets that bad?

ManOfSteal  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 06:33 PM

The puppets aren't bad, but it's the correlation of puppets, bad acting, and a terrible story-line that is bad.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2004, 06:33 PM

The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, and Dark Crystal were cool. Farscape just sucks.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ManOfSteal  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
A+men.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 25, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Notice the first three happened when Jim was alive.

Frank Oz still does some cool things now and then.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2004, 06:40 PM

Farscape: The PeaceKeeper Wars

B-O-R-I-N-G...
First of all, Jim Henson DID do Star Wars.

And secondly, Farscape is an awesome show. You need to watch it from the beginning. The puppetry isn't all that great, but the show has a great plot, good acting, and cool SFX. I think it's a great series.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 06:44 PM

Jim and Frank were a super team. Damn I miss 'em. Fortunately Frank is still alive and kicking, directing and performing.

Sorry if I go waxing a bit here but: Jim Henson was an incredible visionary and talented entertainer. His workshop - while creating and performing puppets for shows of various qualities - is unsurpassed in what they do. They are keeping Jim's legacy alive

As I said, the shows themselves, plot and such can be a bit up and down but hey.

Jim Henson is the best thing that ever came from the state of Kentucky AFAIK

ManOfSteal  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 06:47 PM

Jim Henson is the best thing that ever came from the state of Kentucky AFAIK
Better than Ashley Juggs?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 06:50 PM

Better than Ashley Juggs?

Jim Henson laughs at such trivial Kentuckyans!

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 06:53 PM

What did I just watch? That looks bad.

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 06:58 PM

This looks like a much better movie.

ManOfSteal  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
What did I just watch?
Money being pissed down the drain.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
First of all, Jim Henson DID do Star Wars.
Uh, Frank Oz performed Yoda in Empire, but Jim Henson did not do Star Wars (except Pigs in Space).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Uh, Frank Oz performed Yoda in Empire, but Jim Henson did not do Star Wars (except Pigs in Space).
Yes, they did do Star Wars, after a fashion: http://www.lucasfan.com/swtv/muppets.html

and

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2004, 08:20 AM

Ugh, that video clip should be shot... along with all the people that agreed to fund such a horrific project.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2004, 09:15 AM

I'm really hoping that none of you have actually seen Farscape. Farscape has been, by far, one of the best shows on television, not to mention one of the most consistently good shows. Also, this isn't some new movie. The show was on for four seasons before it was canceled by the geniuses at the SciFi channel because its "soap opera structure made it unsuitable for syndication." They thought it would be better to pump as much money as possible into Tremors: The Series.

I'm sorry you all think this looks like crap, I really am. But that doesn't change the fact that this is going to be a kickass capper to a kickass series.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2004, 09:30 AM

Farscape was a cool show. It got dorky now and then but overall it was a notch below (yes, BELOW) Babylon 5.

The stupid studio killed it not because they were losing money, but because they were breaking even.

I'm looking forward to this.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Starman:
Farscape was a cool show. It got dorky now and then but overall it was a notch below (yes, BELOW) Babylon 5.
I don't know. Way too much like Star Trek for my taste. Not that I don't like Star Trek, but I've always thought that if I wanted to watch a show exactly like Star Trek, I might as well watch Star Trek. Farscape was as different from Trek as a show about space travel can be.

Now, having said that, it's worth noting that Bruce Boxleitner will always kick ass.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 01:34 PM

Farscape had a good couple of seasons, but then they added a handful of new crewmates which diluted the likable core cast. So, we had less of Xan (that blue chick), less of Rigel, and more of that stupid fuzzy haired chick who is just a female Rigel. Bad, bad decisions by the show's producers.

Then the writing started to suck. They even did one of those rapid aging episodes that the Star Trek franchise is so fond of.

Farscape is no Babylon 5, not even close.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 26, 2004, 03:45 PM

The show had a lot of promise.
The bald blue chick was great.

Don`t know about the movie though.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 01:31 AM

I have to say I never got into farscape simply because I couldn't watch it from the begining and didn't get what was going on. That said, it seems like a pretty good show and I wish I had gotten the chance to get into it. I've heard it recieve a lot of praise from geeks who seem to have a clue what they're talking about.

That said, B5 will forever be the best Sci Fi series ever written.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 02:21 AM

Anyone who says Farscape doesn't have a plot, never watched it. Anyone saying that it's too much like Star Trek REALLY never watched it. Farscape makes so many jokes about Star Wars, Star Trek, and the fanboys, it's freakin' hilarious. I love the Monty Python references too.

The guys who write Farscape are good.

Babylon 5 was good too, but talk about bad acting. Some of the people they got on there... good gods! Talk about deadpan. I don't even remember the name of the series that followed B5, but I couldn't watch more than a few episodes cuz the acting was so bad. Just couldn't stand it.

However, B5 does have my favorite overall episode for all sci-fi TV series. They did an entire episode about the "other guys" on the ship. The janitors, triage doctors, etc. All those extra crewman that just run around in the background during the normal show. It was great!!! The janitors talking about how if the officers have it easy just running the ship, then they get attacked and all the dead people start coming with not enough doctors to help, so they're forced to go through the injured and pick who lives and who dies. By the end of the episode the janitors are happy with cleaning up other peoples' sh*t.

As for Star Wars, I could've sworn that Jim Henson Productions worked on the puppetry.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Anyone who says Farscape doesn't have a plot, never watched it. Anyone saying that it's too much like Star Trek REALLY never watched it. Farscape makes so many jokes about Star Wars, Star Trek, and the fanboys, it's freakin' hilarious. I love the Monty Python references too.

The guys who write Farscape are good.

Babylon 5 was good too, but talk about bad acting. Some of the people they got on there... good gods! Talk about deadpan. I don't even remember the name of the series that followed B5, but I couldn't watch more than a few episodes cuz the acting was so bad. Just couldn't stand it.

However, B5 does have my favorite overall episode for all sci-fi TV series. They did an entire episode about the "other guys" on the ship. The janitors, triage doctors, etc. All those extra crewman that just run around in the background during the normal show. It was great!!! The janitors talking about how if the officers have it easy just running the ship, then they get attacked and all the dead people start coming with not enough doctors to help, so they're forced to go through the injured and pick who lives and who dies. By the end of the episode the janitors are happy with cleaning up other peoples' sh*t.

As for Star Wars, I could've sworn that Jim Henson Productions worked on the puppetry.
Sigh... I can actually tell you which season that episode was in hahaha...

I love the comment "yah and the white stars, I always thought they looked like plucked chickens"

then later "Wow those things are amazing they kinda remind me of angels" "I thought you said they looked like plucked chickens!" "Not now they don't!"

spatterson
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 02:35 AM

At first I thought that was a spoof trailer that someone did in FCP and then placed on the web, but a futher look at it showed that it was hosted on apple trailers... Thats one LAME trailer and one LAME show.

hayesk
Aug 27, 2004, 10:29 AM

Farscape was a great show. I don't understand all the negativity here.

hayesk
Aug 27, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
The show had a lot of promise.
The bald blue chick was great.
The blue chick left the show because the makeup made her sick.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 11:39 AM

Firefly is the greatest made-for-tv sci-fi..ever.

That said, I also enjoy the kinda campy-cheesy Stargate SG1 series (seen every episode in order now...), but for some reason I got about 15 minutes into Farscape episode 1, and couldnt take the sheer low-budget feel of it. Does it get better? I just couldn't help but turn off the TV and run screaming.

I can't wait for Serenity (the Firefly movie)!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Sigh... I can actually tell you which season that episode was in hahaha...

I love the comment "yah and the white stars, I always thought they looked like plucked chickens"

then later "Wow those things are amazing they kinda remind me of angels" "I thought you said they looked like plucked chickens!" "Not now they don't!"
"Blach coch blich!!"
"Don't say anything, it'll just piss them off!"
"Don't worry, they don't understand a thing. I was speaking Klingon!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
At first I thought that was a spoof trailer that someone did in FCP and then placed on the web, but a futher look at it showed that it was hosted on apple trailers... Thats one LAME trailer and one LAME show.
You're basing the entire show off of the trailer? If everyone did that, then no one would've seen Fightclub and saw how cool of a movie it was.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
I challenge you to compare that to the 1976 Star Wars trailer and you tell me which is more lame.

Mike

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I challenge you to compare that to the 1976 Star Wars trailer and you tell me which is more lame.

Mike
Mike, do you have the '76 SW trailer? I'm a big SW fan and would really like to see the original trailer.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
Mike, do you have the '76 SW trailer? I'm a big SW fan and would really like to see the original trailer.
At home on LD

Do a Google search for (I think) UGO Star Wars Archive or something. I think his name is Tom. He has TONS of that stuff up on his site.

Mike

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by starman:
At home on LD

Do a Google search for (I think) UGO Star Wars Archive or something. I think his name is Tom. He has TONS of that stuff up on his site.

Mike
Which set is it on? The THX LD set or the SE LD set? I have both, and unfortunately no LD player to play them on anymore.

Only LD's I ever owned (then again I am just graduating college now, so I was but a wee child when LDs were in their heyday).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 05:10 PM

Only LD's I ever owned (then again I am just graduating college now, so I was but a wee child when LDs were in their heyday).
Lucky you. I've got about 50-60 LDs, and I've been slowly rebuying the titles on DVD.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Lucky you. I've got about 50-60 LDs, and I've been slowly rebuying the titles on DVD.
I actually lied. I also own Tombstone, and Quigley Down Under on LD. lawl.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2004, 08:32 AM

...Quigley Down Under...
That information you should have kept to yourself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules