Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which mac?

Which mac?
dwd3885
Aug 10, 2007, 01:18 AM

Well I've been a very confused person going between PC and Mac the best two years, wasting money by selling macs and pcs in the process. So I've finally got all my debts paid off, and what do you know, I got a raise at my job so I'm finally able to afford another computer. Anyway, I don't really know about the new iMac or the old iMac, I never really liked an all-in-one desktop (I do have an HP Vista laptop).

I found this sweet deal for an Acer 22'' widescreen monitor for just $200. So I figure I could get that and a mac mini for about $1000. That way, if I ever get enough money for a Mac Pro, I could just upgrade that without getting a whole new monitor. The iMac is great for someone like my parents who keep computers for 6-7 years, but for me, someone who likes to upgrade, it would be nice to always have a monitor there.

Anyway, long post I know. But actually, my question is about the PowerMac G5s. If I can get a Dual G5 for $800, and a recently updated mac mini for $800, which should I get? I don't game, I do a lot of photoshop, indesign, illustrator, and iLife app work, along with dvd encoding, audio work, etc. I already have an external hard drive too.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the advice I always receive here

sts24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 01:39 AM

My Opinion: Get the G5 tower. It seems you are interested in being able to upgrade. That has more options than the mini. Yeah, it's not an Intel, but for the types of apps you want to run, it will get the job done. I have a two year old iMac G5 that runs very smooth and it is not obsolete yet in my book just because it is a PowerPC. I will say though, once you get the Power Mac do get as much RAM to add in as much budget allows. More RAM the better in any situation. Does that help?

Cletus989
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 02:12 AM

That acer 22 inch lcd probly has the same resolution as the 17 inch powerbook pro

roller
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 08:23 AM

If you have the new CS3 suite and can stomach not upgrading the machine, I would suggest the mini. I have two in my labs and several PM G5's and at worst they are comparable in performance, though I would say the mini is faster, despite its limitations. you can also boot from an external firewire drive if you have a faster one than is in your mini.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

dwd3885  (op)
Aug 10, 2007, 11:12 AM

thanks for some of the quick advice! To answer Cletus989 question, the acer monitor is 1680x1050, while the 17-inch mbp is 1440x900. But I'm not comparing to a MBP anyway. I'm comparing to an iMac really. The 20inch imac and 22 inch acer monitor have the same resolution yes.

Don't know which i'm leaning toward still. probably the mini, if i can find one for cheaper that the 779 at the apple store

roller
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
Don't know which i'm leaning toward still. probably the mini, if i can find one for cheaper that the 779 at the apple store
You should check out Apple's refurbished offerings at their online store (See the Special Deals link on the right hand side in the Apple store, or there's an article about them and a link on the iSwitched site in my sig). Top-quality machines at sometimes heavily discounted prices.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

dwd3885  (op)
Aug 10, 2007, 11:29 AM

yea, i've been looking. the mini hasn't been up there in a while. all my macs previously have all been refurbished. maybe i'll just wait until they come out with a refurbished c2d mini

anonx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 04:33 PM

the 17 inch mbp is 1680 by 1050 with a BTO option of 1920 by 1200...

1440x900 is for the 15 inch model.

1680 x 1050 doesn't sound that great for a 22 inch monitor...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by anonx View Post
1680 x 1050 doesn't sound that great for a 22 inch monitor...
It's standard for desktops; you can't get 1920x1200 until 23" (Apple) or 24" (most other brands).

dwd3885  (op)
Aug 10, 2007, 09:08 PM

the mbp is out of the question really. so it doesn't matter about their resolution. now i did have a dell that was 20inch and was 1680x1050.

it would be nice to get a 23-inch 19x12, but the acer monitor is just 200 bucks and is really nice imo

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 01:52 AM

In terms of being future proof the mini may be better -- but for what you want to do a G5 might be better. It has a "real" video card, and is able to hold much more RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules