Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > parental control "time limit" not working

parental control "time limit" not working
Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2008, 10:23 AM

I tried Googling for this (and searching here) but didn't see anything.

I've got an Intel Mac Mini with 10.5.3 on it, and it's not honoring the 30 minute time limit I'm setting. I had trouble with this on 10.5.2, too.

Today what happened was that my daughter was on for at least 30 minutes, and she never got even a warning. I logged her out and the login window showed that her time was up (the red circle with the dash in it). Why no warning? Why didn't it cut her off?

In the past, I think I've also seen the case where it warned her, but didn't cut her off.

Anyone else seen this? Is there a workaround?
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2008, 05:17 PM

Not going to provide an answer for you, unfortunately, but I have heard of similar issues.

I also use this feature for my kids' computers and have not had the same problem. Fortunately, it has worked as advertised. So, the good news is that it can work; the bad news is I am not sure how to fix your issue.

Maybe if there are parental control preferences (a .plist file, usually in a library's preferences folder--probably the user's library), those could be deleted and the machine will generate a new .plist file upon reboot. Sometimes corrupt preference files cause issues.

Good luck...
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Forum Links
Forum Rules