Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > kernel task using 68 to 72% of MBA ???

kernel task using 68 to 72% of MBA ???
rkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2008, 10:22 AM

OS X 10.5.3 on MacBookAir

My machine is very sluggish due to a kernel_task process id 0 as root using 69 to 72% of the CPU. This problem has been occurring for two or three days. And surprisingly it survives a restart with no applications set for startup on login. I do use spaces. Since it occurs when no applications have been started I am at a loss as to how to diagnose the cause. There are no external disks which spotlight might be trying to do something with nor do I use TimeMachine. I do sync with .Mac and I have from time to time seen the iCalExternalSync process using up to 20% of the machine. While it doesn't stop if I kill the sync it seems to always get in this mode after a sync has been started.

Needless to say between those two processes, my MBA is not very responsive.

Any thoughts as to how to diagnose the cause of the problem?

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2008, 10:47 AM

Unfortunately, I don't remember enough to be of much help now, but I had a similar issue previously where a log file had bloated up to 300+MB, when it should have been in the K size range. This would cause me CPU cycles to ramp up to near 100% on both CPU's. The log was in a hidden directory. Sorry I cannot recall more. You might take a look at Console.app to see what it reports. Now that I think about it I believe it was the asl.db (or asl.log) file that caused my trouble. Go --> Go to Folder --> type in /var/log

Hope this offers a little help...
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 01:27 PM

I've had similar problems with the kernel_task CPU usage at 650-850+% (including over 1000% once); the result is the machine is very sluggish. I don't know what causes it, but it persists after reinstalling the OS.

rkv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2008, 01:39 PM

As Roller suggested I was able to find something in the log using the Console.app. In my case the log entries appear to relate to sync having some fundamental problem, like it doesn't like the object .Mac is passing. This causes repeated failures and then retrying. I have opened a support issue with Apple. Although, I've always found their insistance on email for .Mac related problems as troublesome and less Apple. I hope they re-think that with MobileMe. I think there is going to be a whole new class of users and it will not be good if they have the current un-Apple .Mac support.

But then again, I suspect push, will solve many of the issues with synchronization. I'll let people know what if anything I learn from Apple Support. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Console and the logs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules