Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Considering a MacBook; advice needed.

Considering a MacBook; advice needed.
iSimon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2008, 03:19 PM

Hi,

I was thinking of buying a Macbook and I was looking at the 2.1GHz 2 core duo processor with 1gb RAM model. This new laptop would be my university computer and my home computer would be used for games and high powered things like video editing. The main things I would use the macbook for would be web browsing, essay writing and photoshop. I was also thinking of upgrading the RAM to 2gb or 3gb.
But when I was seriously thinking about buying I heard that Apple might be producing a new version of macbook with the centrino 2 processor. So my question is whether a macbook is worth the £700 and whether I should wait until the new macbook is released. My last question is if a new macbook is released will the cost of it increase or will the old macbook price drop?

Thanks

-Si-

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 16, 2008, 04:05 PM

I run Photoshop pretty well on my Macbook. Specs: 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD. As long as I quit all other applications before I use Photoshop. I am not too sure though on when a newer Macbook will be released.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 09:34 PM

It's very unlikely Apple will use Centrino 2; they have shown no interest in Intel's wifi chips so far.

I'd expect a substantial upgrade to the MacBook in about 3 months; better graphics, twice the RAM ceiling, etc. Wait if you can, buy a refurb now if you must.

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2008, 02:14 PM

I am a big fan of Apple's refurbs and advise people to strongly consider them. Looking right now, I see a MBPro for 1700 and a Macbook for 950, both decent machines that can do what you want without much effort. I feel the best investment for you would be in your RAM. Go with 2 GB minimum or max it out if you can. That is where you will see the greatest benefit. A few more clock cycles is not worth the money compared to more RAM.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2008, 09:23 AM

iSimon if you are going to University you should definitely not get the 2.1Ghz with 1GB of RAM... You should get the 2.4Ghz with at least 2GB of RAM, preferably 4GB... or if you are going to do graphics work such as Photoshop, video editing, animation (2D or 3D)... you should get the 15" Macbook Pro because of it's graphics card.
Otherwise get the 2.4Ghz Macbook with 2-4GBs of RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules