Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook, frequent program crashes

New MacBook, frequent program crashes
The Fall of Math
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 03:10 AM

yo homies, i just got a new computer and it was going so damn smooth at first, but now a tiny screen pops up and says "(whatever) Program has suddenly closed, woud you like to A: Ignore B: Repeat C: Relaunch" and i click all of them but nothing happens, it just keeps coming back. So i cant do anything because it does this with every program. Im really bummed out and depressed, i need help mentally and physically, but if you could help me out with this, it would be greatly apprectiated. THX DAWGZ

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2008, 04:06 PM

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that. Something clearly has gone wrong, and it sounds like it is a software issue.

There are a couple of things to try:

1) Try running fsck (the info on fsck is about halfway down the page)

2) Boot from your install DVD and try the Disk Utility to repair disk and fix permissions. (this is at the same link, just above the fsck info)

Regardless of whether this solves the issue, these are good things to know how to do. If neither of these solve the problem, you may need a program like DiskWarrior. This is a GREAT utility that is largely regarded as THE program to have when you are in trouble.

Finally, if all else fails, you can again boot from your install DVD and perform an Archive and Install (Preserve User Settings) to see if that gets you back on track.

Good luck...
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

charlespsu
Jul 22, 2008, 09:25 PM

In addition to Rollers suggestions, I would just add taking a trip to the genius bar.

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by charlespsu View Post
In addition to Rollers suggestions, I would just add taking a trip to the genius bar.
Charlespsu, that is a great point. If it is a new computer and you have an Apple store nearby, you definitely want to pursue that option if at least #1 and #2 above do not work.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 02:13 AM

I hope you don't live far from an Apple store. I'm going to vote for Genius bar appointment as well with these guys if you can't seem to get things rolling on your own.

Forum Links
Forum Rules