Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Dead hard drive - big question is $$$

Dead hard drive - big question is $$$
qhtrinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 11:13 PM

Hey everyone, it's my first post and I come in times of distress lol

Anyhow, I dropped my 3rd gen iPod from the top of my 6 foot locker. I did the HDD test and it turned in negative. The battery still works great though. I would rather listen to you guys than the technician who will take advantage of my ignorance and charge me mad.

How much do you guys think it will cost to repair? Maybe I should just buy an iShuffle instead?

Also, I heard it was possible for me to repair it on my own, but I don't know where to get the parts except from eBay... from dead iPods.

What do you guys think? I really need something to listen to when studying...

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 15, 2005, 11:18 PM

Sorry to hear you come our way having problems but let's see what we can do to help you out of your predicament.

So, your 3rd gen. iPod fell about 6ft. What HD test? You mean you booted and it played the drums for you?... (They ain't supposed to play the drums)...

Maybe go to ipodresq.com or a host of others and find out?

Others may have some more suggestions.

iPod Shuffle might be a possible solution as well, and cheaper than getting your current iPod fixed...what type was it?

qhtrinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 01:02 AM

oh wow I forgot to tell you guys what kind of iPod I had! it's a 3rd gen 15GB.

i used the rewind+forward+select combination to get the iPod to the disgnostic state... then I ran the HDD test. no it did not communicate with me in iPod-talk.

wow... if you're saying that it can be more than 150$ CND then might as well get the shuffle. kinda short on cash these days...

anyhow, ill keep my options open and go to that site you gave me. thanks for the input

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 16, 2005, 01:07 AM

When you reboot it, and put it up to your ear, does it click?... if so, that's not good. Do you get a folder with an exclamation mark? Bad Hard Drive.

vinster
Senior User
Aug 16, 2005, 01:16 AM

You should be able to find an iPod hard drive someone's salvaged for sale somewhere. I have a 2nd gen 20G iPod that's seen better days but is not ready to part out just yet.

qhtrinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 01:18 AM

ya there's that forsaken folder with exclamation mark. almost sure its the hard drive that's dead.

after browsing through that website and a few others... 150$ USD to repair my iPod. might as well get a shuffle.

however, maybe if I dismantle my iPod and sell the parts on eBay I can maybe get the money back lol.

40$ for LCD. 20$ for headphone jack. 2$ for mother board = 62$!

qhtrinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 01:20 AM

well on eBay they go for 15$ each... but it's AS IS. apparently, after checking out the feedback there were A LOT of positive feedback (or neutral) citing "didn't work but fast shipping"...

maybe I should try my luck with 2-3 salvaged hard drives?

vinster
Senior User
Aug 16, 2005, 01:22 AM

Yes, you can go the other way and salvage what's good out of your iPod and make some money back. Apple also has a 'recycle' program where they'll give you a 10% trade-in discount towards the purchase of a new iPod.

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2005, 05:40 PM

I am in a similar situation, as my 3G 10GB iPod bit the dust yesterday after it fell on a hard floor from off the counter. Folder with exclamation point, and click-click-click sound from hard drive.

I did find a site that has the MK2004GAL Toshiba 20GB hard drive for about $95, so I may go with that. Can someone confirm that that drive would indeed work in my 3G 10GB iPod...or do I need a special "iPod version" of the drive? I'm pretty handy technology-wise...is the installation something I can tackle on my own?

Please advise...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2005, 09:37 PM

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/...-service/#1424
its intended for battery replacement but the videos might help you guys crack them open and see whats there.

hope it helps.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by dpfenninger
I am in a similar situation, as my 3G 10GB iPod bit the dust yesterday after it fell on a hard floor from off the counter. Folder with exclamation point, and click-click-click sound from hard drive.

I did find a site that has the MK2004GAL Toshiba 20GB hard drive for about $95, so I may go with that. Can someone confirm that that drive would indeed work in my 3G 10GB iPod...or do I need a special "iPod version" of the drive?
Bump... can someone answer this last question? I'd like to order this drive asap if it will indeed work.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules