Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Local Macmall a joke

Local Macmall a joke
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2010, 10:05 PM

I came in looking for a mac version of the logitech 9000. The guy with a mini mohawk said that he had NO idea that there's a mac specific L9K , and laughed at me and told me that there was no need for one since all (ALL) macs come with cams built it. I told him that I'm aware, and before I could explain why I wanted the L9K over the built in, he told me to just install the linux hack for the cam on my computer and walked over to another customer. He was wearing a red shirt.

A completely sour experience at this macmall. Stay clear.

22719 Hawthorne Blvd
Torrance, CA 90505
Neighborhood: Torrance
(310) 353-7443.

Anyone else have any macmall experiences?
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Nov 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2010, 10:06 PM

Wow, that is a total joke. Always cracks me up when people like that seem to be actively working against giving you their business.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2010, 10:11 PM

Did you ask to speak to the manager / owner ?

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2010, 10:31 PM

Why is there a Mac specific cam? Aren't they all UVC these days?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2010, 10:33 PM

Maybe should have asked for the "QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac" instead?

Still, should have beat the dude up. Twice.
Once for being a douche and again for having a douche hairdo.
In front of his manager.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2010, 11:08 PM

The Pro 9000 model is UVC compliant. This means that it should work on a Mac without needing any special Mac version or drivers.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2010, 11:46 PM

I stopped in that store a few years ago to get an iPod mic for a conference that day. I took the box to the counter to pay and they started asking me for my name, address, phone, email. Basically they will not sell to you unless you give them all your info. Fu•k em. I went to the Fry’s on Sepulveda and Rosecrans, bought the same damn item without having to give any personal info.

I will not buy anything from their lousy website either.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
The Pro 9000 model is UVC compliant. This means that it should work on a Mac without needing any special Mac version or drivers.
Correct, but the black one is software driven for autofocus and light condition adjustments. The silver (built for mac) has all that built into the cam (and probably some other things too) , that way you don’t have to fiddle around with anything. Hence why it’s a bit more expensive.

Since the software for the black version is PC only, no go for me on my MBP.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Nov 27, 2010 at 12:29 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 28, 2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I came in looking for a mac version of the logitech 9000. The guy with a mini mohawk said that he had NO idea that there's a mac specific L9K , and laughed at me and told me that there was no need for one since all (ALL) macs come with cams built it. I told him that I'm aware, and before I could explain why I wanted the L9K over the built in, he told me to just install the linux hack for the cam on my computer and walked over to another customer. He was wearing a red shirt.
Hey, don't dis the hawk! Some of us folks with, um, memorable appearances are still friendly, competent people.

Sounds to me like he was a nerd (as opposed to a talented salesman) trying to be helpful, but lacking the social competence to do it. Not someone who belongs in sales. Or he was a pompous jackass nerd. I wasn't there so I can't say.

I can see how someone who doesn't regularly deal with Mac Pros and Mac minis, neither of which is sold much in retail*, can forget that Macs without integrated screens exist. Anyhow, you have to really know Logi's products well to know the information you wanted -- why would a Mac person know Logi's PC models, or vice versa? (It's the hardcore Mac nerd here and there that knows: you and I have Mac knowledge and research skills far above average. You simply cannot expect a salesman making $11/h if he's lucky to have this depth of knowledge. Everyone who has it has moved on to a much better paying job at a VAR, or as a system administrator.)

Now, the red shirt. That's inexcusable. How dare he?

*When I worked for a certain computer company, we sold maybe 1 Mac Pro for every 3 Mac minis -- for every probably 300-400 iMacs and laptops. (Guesstimated numbers, not real statistics) The customers who buy Mac Pros and Mac minis are the ones who either a) buy through a VAR to integrate them into an existing video or audio studio, or b) know enough to be totally comfortable ordering them online. They're definitely not the ones to wander into a mall store and want 20 minutes of consultation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules