Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Roll call!

Roll call!
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2006, 02:28 AM

We haven't had one of these in a while.

[Re]Introduce yourself, tell us about yourself, say what projects you run, and what machines you run them on.

-----------------------------

I'm Scott, been around for way too long (since at least 2000).

Currently running something on the order of 15 projects.
Folding@Home
Seti
Rosetta
Einstein
Tanpaku
Climate Predictor
BBC Climate Predictor
Leiden Classical
and more

Lots of machines.
Probably still have an Athlon 64 3000 on folding.
Mini G4 1.25 doing something (folding)?
Mini G4 1.25 seti (boinc)
Mini CD 1.66 boinc, mostly seti
PB G4 1.5 seti, part time
Core 2 Duo 2.17, Windows
Core 2 Duo 2.66, Windows
Pentium D 3.4, Windows
Dual Xeon 3.06, Linux
Pentium 4 3.2, Windows
Pentium 4 2.8, Linux
Pentium 4 2.4, Linux

A couple of core 2 duo boxes and maybe another machine or two I don't know of.

--Scott
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Jan 2, 2007 at 05:25 PM. )
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 04:27 AM

Shaktai (David)
Can't quite remember how long I've been with the Team, but its a fair number of years. Started crunching Seti in June 1999. The founder for several of the MacNN BOINC Teams.

Used to have a fair sized farm but am now down to a single Pentium M 1.73 ghz notebook. Looking to get another Mac one of these days soon if fortune allows. Really hope so anyway because don't really like what I have for image management and editing.

Currently crunching Rosetta, but am well known for my tendency to jump around on projects. On a business relocation to the Philippines for a year or two or more.

Number one hobby is photography. David Robinson's Photo Galleries at pbase.com Nothing serious really, but it keeps me out of trouble, some of the time.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2006, 09:08 AM

Hi - I'm beadman (Claude) - I've been a member of Team MacNN for a couple of years now, and have been crunching SETI since 3 April 1999, according to the SETI web site.
Currently running SETI at 99%, Einstein at 1%. I'd like to run Einstein more, but their "equivalence to SETI" algorith makes my macs perform at about 75% of the credit per day I get on SETI.

Running on a 2.1GHz MBP, 1.67GHz PB, 1.33GHz iB, and my old trusty 333MHz tray-loading iMac, with an ocassional assist from a common-area PowerMac G5 at work.

beadman

Abecedaria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 11:27 AM

Abecedaria (Joshua)

Very new to these forums and fairly new to crunching. Rosetta seemed like a great cause for humanity, plus I liked the fact that a Mac team was so high in the rankings. I have an odd menagerie of machines doing the crunching and could probably reallocate some of my PPC Macs to different projects to get better use out of them.

I'm an technophile that loves to tinker...my weirdest project so far:
A socket 370 1Ghz Pentium III on a "Slocket" in a Slot 1 Intel BX motherboard. I've overclocked it to 1.25 Ghz and installed Linux Fedora Core 6 on a software RAID because Linux seems to perform best on Rosetta. If you read this last sentance and understood it all, you need to spend more time with Macs! (As I need to!)

Cheers,
abc
( Last edited by Abecedaria; Dec 7, 2006 at 01:08 PM. )

siliconman
Dec 7, 2006, 11:55 AM

Introduce yourself, tell us about yourself, say what projects you run, and what machines you run them on.
My name is David, I'm 35 and now live in Santa Cruz, CA and work for a prestigious software company.
I only run RC5 and I'm a stats junkie.

I currently have running:

eMac 1.0 GHz
ibook g4 1.2 GHz
12" Powerbook G4 1.3 GHz
Dell Lattitude D610 2.13 GHz

I used to have a couple dell desktops and a linux rack mount contributing as well, but they all had hardware failures that took them out of the running.

I got a new MacBook yesterday, that will be taking the place of the powerbook. I was thinking about buying a mini or two. I expect to get rid of the eMac once that acquistion is made.

-David

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2006, 12:34 PM

SciFrog (Philippe)

I hate have machines idling around so running DC projects fills that void.
I am trying to run projects that help medecine or science although SETI being the first project should always have a spot (well not since BOINC though).

I am currently #3 cruncher on the MacNN Folding team with the addition or powerful intel macs that do really well there.

Fourth Horseman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 02:24 PM

Hi team, I'm Fourth Horseman (Scott). I've been crunching for SETI since 1999. I used to participate in the distributed.net RC5 key cracking projects, but with RC5-72 I finally gave up. Coming up on two years of membership with Team MacNN! I currently run two projects, SETI@Home (75% share) and Einstein@Home (25% share).

I'm running BOINC on the following machines at home:
PowerMac G5 dual 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, OS X
Pentium 4 3.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP Home

At work I'm running BOINC on a Pentium 4 1.8 GHz, 768 MB RAM, Fedora Core 6 Linux

I have recently ordered a refurbished 1.5 GHz Core Solo Mac Mini from the Apple Store. I have a 2 GHz Core2Duo CPU and 1 GB of RAM ordered for it. This little box will be a dedicated BOINC worker. I'm hoping to have it all up and running late next week.
( Last edited by Fourth Horseman; Dec 7, 2006 at 02:34 PM. )
- Fourth Horseman -

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2006, 06:17 PM

Where did you get the CPU and what price?

Fourth Horseman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by SciFrog View Post
Where did you get the CPU and what price?
I got it at newegg.com for $295.49. I did not shop around though, so I'm sure it could be found for less elsewhere.
- Fourth Horseman -

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2006, 09:38 PM

To derail this thread further...

Not bad on the mini. I'm curious though, why not upgrade / replace the P4 system, or build one in addition, instead of spending more on a mini?

--Scott
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Fourth Horseman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 09:53 PM

Well, when not crunching for the BOINC projects my P4 is my gaming rig. I plan to upgrade to a new Core2Duo (or maybe quad?) system with a directx 10 video card. I'll probably do that this summer. I'm looking to spend upwards of $1500 - $1700 to do that. When I do I'll keep my old P4, load Linux on it and make it another BOINC worker. But to answer your question, right now I just didn't feel the timing was right to completely rework my gaming rig. I want to see what happens with the DirectX 10 cards and such before I commit to such a big expense. But I wanted another BOINC worker right now. So I decided that the refurb Mac Mini and Core2Duo chip would be a relatively inexpensive way to do it. I'm in to it about $900, which isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than $1700.

So middle of next year the P4 will get upgraded, I just wasn't ready to attack that system just yet. Plus, you know, I just like Macs. It'll be nice to have another in the house.
- Fourth Horseman -

zombie67
Senior User
Dec 8, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fourth Horseman View Post
I have recently ordered a refurbished 1.5 GHz Core Solo Mac Mini from the Apple Store. I have a 2 GHz Core2Duo CPU and 1 GB of RAM ordered for it. This little box will be a dedicated BOINC worker. I'm hoping to have it all up and running late next week.
Mac Mini (and iMacs) use the mobile version of Core 2 Duo (TXXXX aka Merom), not the desktop version (EXXXX aka Conroe). Which did you order?

Edit: To be accurate, I should have said the Mac Mini uses the mobile version of Core Duo (TXXXX aka Yonah). It hasn't been upgraded to Core 2 yet (ever?). But I believe the Core 2 Duo (Merom) should work as an upgrade. For iMacs, they started off with Core Duo and then transitioned to Core 2 Duo.

Fourth Horseman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 11:45 AM

Don't worry, if the new CPU doesn't fit in the socket I'll just break off some of those little pins until it does. I don't think the CPU needs all of them anyway.

No, seriously, I ordered a T7200 processor. From what I've read it should just drop in and run. I'll report back on my progress. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it!
- Fourth Horseman -

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2006, 11:16 AM

Hi all,

You can read my SAH profile
and/or my CPDN profile

I took the name Knightrider from a street in London, close to St. Paul's Cathedral, which dates back to the 10th or 11th Century.

I'm retired now, but one job I had many years ago was digital printing using Macs, and loved them since then.

I keep busy with my projects

Space Times - Time Zone parallels for space launch, a space related information site and

LONDON-SEEN.DDNS.INFO which is a photographic project i have, but is on hold at the moment.

I host these sites on my Mac quad, which I use to crunch seti.

I also have 2 intel pc's.

You can speak to me via skype if you want to call and say hello. My user name is southbankse1 I am at my machine a lot, but not all the time.

K.
( Last edited by Knightrider; Dec 10, 2006 at 11:32 AM. )

Microns
Dec 10, 2006, 09:20 PM

Hi All,

Microns here. Seti participant since May 1999. MacNN not long thereafter but don't really remember when.

The boxes include an Intel iMac, Dual G5 , Dual G4, the odd G3 still running a server or service, Wintel P4, and a SUN SPARCServer 20 running Solaris on two 150Mhz ROSS Hypersparc processors .

Spare cycles now go to Seti and Einstein (BOINC).

Happy crunching!

zombie67
Senior User
Dec 10, 2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Microns View Post
The boxes include an Intel iMac, Dual G5 , Dual G4, the odd G3 still running a server or service, Wintel P4, and a SUN SPARCServer 20 running Solaris on two 150Mhz ROSS Hypersparc processors .
Neat! I used to be the production planner for the S20. I haven't thought of ROSS modules in years! What kind of RAC do you get with that?

TiloProbst
Dec 11, 2006, 04:25 PM

Hi,
well, tiloprobst is tilo probst .. don't know when I started crunching, might have been summer '05.

currently a student at Technical University in Germany and looking for an opportunity to spend half a year abroad

in the beginning I wasted a few month on the default SETI client until I discovered this website. obviously I am very thankful for the work that Alex and others have done. some time ago I wrote an introduction to BOINC which is now hopelessly outdated

I just received my 20" x86 iMac and knocking off SETI. team is SETI#Germany, mostly to hold up the mac flag in my sub-team. otherwise I would be Team MacNN of course. I am positive that the iMac will be silent enough even under full load to run 24/7 in my room, which was just impossible with his G5 predecessor. I hope the new iMac will be among the top4 in my team.

my last Mac, a Dual 2,0 G5 is crunching a few hours a day. the Single 1,8 G5 I once had is already sold.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 11:01 AM

I'm still running RC5, mainly because it requires no maintenence. I used to run SETI, but the switch to boinc was so much trouble at first, I blew it off. RC5 is declining in participants, and the staff seems to have more or less given up as well, so I'm pondering moving to SETI, or Folding. I have a Folding acount, but haven't run it in a couple years. Anyway, the hardware:

Sawtooth G4 1.25 (upgrade)
Cube 450
Quicksilver Dual 1.0
B&W G3 (500 G4 upgrade)
B&W G3 300
iMac G3 350
iMac G4 800
G5 Dual 2.0
iBook 1.2
Powerbook 1.25

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 01:46 PM

I would consider selling some computers and consolidating into an intel based mac. Much more power efficient, if possible. Else, G4 seem to fare better on SETI than Folding.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2006, 02:36 PM

I joined Team MacNN for RC5 a year or two ago but am now focused on SETI.

I began doing RC5 crunching in the mid 90s on a 14MHz 68030 Amiga 1200. Today it's a dual core 2x2GHz G5 Powermac.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

ChillyWilly5280
Dec 12, 2006, 04:30 PM

Chris here in Denver, CO, USA. Truck driver by night, quasi-geek by day. Got my first computer in 2001, it took OS X to convince me that it was time. Started running SETI classic about 2002, 24/7 right off the bat. Just recently switched my SETI & Einstein accounts to Team MacNN. Rosetta, SZTAKI, SIMAP, WCG and Predictor have been with Team MacNN for about as long as I have run them.

Resource share:

SETI 700
Einstein 600
SZTAKI 500
SIMAP 400
Rosetta 300
Predictor 200
WCG 100 (idle because of recent credit change regarding optimized BOINC Manager)

Hardware (all running 10.4.8):

iMac G3 600 MHz, 1 GB RAM (currently in the midst of an ATX & LCD conversion)
iMac G4 800 MHz, 1 GB RAM
iMac G4 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM
iBook G4 1.2 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM (now sold)
PowerBook 1.67 GHz, 512 MB RAM (in need of more!!!)
PowerMac 2.3 GHz DC, 4 GB RAM (on the wish list)

Much thanks to Alex for the great SETI workers, and to all who keep Team MacNN up & running!
( Last edited by ChillyWilly5280; Dec 12, 2006 at 04:34 PM. Reason: add info)

Andy Cotton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 05:21 PM

Andy here in London (there is only one). I'm superluminal on seti. I work in heathcare and have done seti since I found out about it wayback. I belong to macnn and though I read more than I contribute I feel right at home. Macnn is storming up the team places at seti and I use all my spare cycles to help. All the spare heat keeps the fog out. I have a few machines, G5 dual2 gig, a macmini core duo, a p4 box at work. I harbour unnatural lustful feelings about a dual quad core which will see me rule the world! . Regards to all. A
( Last edited by Andy Cotton; Dec 13, 2006 at 12:05 PM. )

zombie67
Senior User
Dec 12, 2006, 05:57 PM

Lets see...

I've been running S@H since the classic days, but stopped for a while. I did some F@H too. I started up with S@H again, around February of this year, and started getting serious about it in May. I joined Team MacNN when I learned of alexkan's awesome SETI app. Since then, I have gone from a single PowerBook to some of just about everything:

Macs:
o 1.25ghz G4 PowerBook
o 1.33ghz G4 iBook
o 2.16ghz Core Duo MBP
o 1.8ghz G5 iMac
o 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo iMac
o 2.5ghz Quad G5

Other:
1x PII Linux laptop
1x PIII windows box
1x PM windows laptop
3x P4 (w/ HT) windows boxes
4x PD windows boxes
2x AMD X2 windows boxes
1x C2D windows box
1x dual chip, dual core (w/ HT) Xeon windows box

Next: Waiting for Apple to come out with a Mac Pro using dual Core 2 Quads.

I originally ran the boxes as linux, but learned that they don't get an even shake when it comes to points with most projects. Also, WUs would constantly lock up and therefore they needed a lot of baby sitting. So I changed them back to Windows. So if you look at my machines on BOINCstats, I really don't have that many. The linux boxes are just duplicates of the windows boxes. Apparently, you can't merge machines if they have different OS, even though they are the same box.

When I came back to DC, I started back up with S@H out of habit. When I realized BOINC could run a bunch more projects, I became hooked. I eventually moved to 100% Rosetta. Since I just recently hit the 1,000,000 mark on Rosetta (yea me! ), I decided to try some of everything. I'm now currently attached to 25 projects, although some rarely or never have work (SIMAP, NanoHive, Predictor, LHC). That means I am crunching for 21 daily, and have been for about a week.

I've been messing around with my allocations a lot lately, and finally came up with this split:

o Macs run everything they can* (SETI, SETI Beta, Rosetta, RALPH, Einstein, WCG)
o Windows boxes run all the rest.

*Something is wrong with SZTAKI on my macs. It causes the System usage to jump, which is odd, because none of the other projects do that. They use "User" only. Also, while Docking will work on my intel Macs, they have bugs in their application right now. So my PII is the only machine crunching for Docking right now (can't add new hosts at this time), and that is all it does.

The down side of all of this is that, if I crunched exclusively for SETI, with alexkan's and chicken's apps, I would be getting 18,000/day. But spread out like this, with RieselSieve the only other project with an optimized (windows only) application, I am down to about 11,000/day.

BUT! The upside is that, while Team MacNN is getting slightly less points total, we have been *racing* up the charts on almost all the smaller projects. It is much easier to make an impact there, even with small contributions. You can check it out here:

http://www.boincstats.com/search/all...d79e9ccd067c61

Look at all the green!

My short term goal is to catch HouliWen, a Team MacNN member who seems to have decided to participate in all the projects too...long before I did, and is #1 on most of the smaller ones. Look out! I'm commin' to getcha!

My longer term goal is to catch Jedi_Mstr in total points. He was my primary opponent in Rosetta, and I was all puffy chested when I finally passed him....until he pointed out that I still had a *long* way to go in total points. Now that he has added a smokin' Mac Pro, and is crunching almost exclusively SETI, I'm falling behind again. Come on Apple. where's that Mac Pro 8-way?!?

zombie67
Senior User
Dec 13, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Andy Cotton View Post
Andy here in London...
"Home of the brash, outrageous and free"

Forum Links
Forum Rules