Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Solid State Drive in a MacBook

Solid State Drive in a MacBook
xia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2008, 11:14 AM

Has anyone used the solid state drive on a Macbook? The 128GB SSD costs $405 extra on a MBP, vs 320GB SATA at 7200 rpm. Will like to hear if someone who are using it to comment on pros and cons (slow?).

Thanks in advance.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2008, 11:06 PM

Yes. I use a SSD in my MacBook. (I have a 64GB Patriot that I got from newegg, not the upgrade option from the Apple store.) I agree with the overall consensus that the SSD offers a noticeable performance upgrade, especially when starting up the MB and opening applications.

You will be pleased with an SSD. It is anything but "slow," plus there's no risk of mechanical failure (the most common reason conventional HDs die).

I would not recommend getting your SSD through Apple, as the markup is severe. Just get a base-model HD and swap it out. Use the mechanical drive as a backup or eBay it.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

xia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2008, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback. My current PB G4-12" had a hard disc failure within two years of usage and it costs me some thousands of $ to get all the contents recovered. Apple did a free HD replacement since I have the Apple care...

When you open a new MB or MBP to swap the HD, will it void the apple warranty?

Is there a particular brand or speed or version of SSD that I should get? Do we know what Apple uses in the system?

Thanks again!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2008, 01:56 PM

No the hard drive is considered a user replaceable component in the MB(P)s
~Mike

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 11:26 PM

Check into MLC vs. SLC SSD. There is a different type and one is much faster (and expensive) than the other.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2008, 12:11 AM

The hard drive is not user-replaceable on any MBP except the most recent ones just to clarify that.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2008, 12:35 AM

I've swapped out HDs in older MBs and MBPs before and never had any trouble with my AppleCare. Just make it a point to put the original HD back in the computer if you ever send it in for repairs to Apple.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2008, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by xia View Post
Is there a particular brand or speed or version of SSD that I should get? Do we know what Apple uses in the system?
I have a 64GB Patriot. It works great for me. OCZ is another common brand. Check out dealmac.com for a snappy deal.

If you need maximum storage (128GB is the most you can hope to get out of an SSD right now), be prepared to spend about 300 bucks.

If you want the fastest and best, say goodbye to thrift and get a memoright.

There is another thread that recently discussed how we never know what brand HD will ship with your Apple laptop.
( Last edited by Ted L. Nancy; Nov 22, 2008 at 02:13 AM. )
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2008, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
Check into MLC vs. SLC SSD. There is a different type and one is much faster (and expensive) than the other.
SLC is faster than MLC, and also has greater longevity (its cells can be written to 100,000 times, vs. 10,000 for MLC) - but it's more expensive and comes in smaller sizes (I think SLC maxes out at 64 GB currently). Additionally, in true computer industry tradition, descriptions of SSD drives almost never mention whether the drive is SLC or MLC, although I suppose you could figure it out by price (if a drive is significantly more expensive than others of the same size, it's probably SLC).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
SLC is faster than MLC, and also has greater longevity (its cells can be written to 100,000 times, vs. 10,000 for MLC) - but it's more expensive and comes in smaller sizes (I think SLC maxes out at 64 GB currently). Additionally, in true computer industry tradition, descriptions of SSD drives almost never mention whether the drive is SLC or MLC, although I suppose you could figure it out by price (if a drive is significantly more expensive than others of the same size, it's probably SLC).
Although this is all accurate and informative, I really wouldn't worry about slc vs. mlc at this point. SSDs are still a young addition to the industry. Most companies don't indicate whether their drive is slc or mlc because unless it is an slc, they don't have any reason to brag. Nonetheless, a mlc ssd has enough coolness to impress even the self-described above-average user.

Again, if super-duper, over-the-top, premium-priced performance is what you need, again, go with memoright and they can hook you up with a slc ssd. Don't forget to get two of them for your RAID setup! If you've got unlimited funds, the sky's the limit!

It should also be noted that although the lifespan of an mlc is probably less than 10% of an slc's, the mlc will still outlive your laptop... by at least 5 years.

The maximum capacity for slc is 128GB.
( Last edited by Ted L. Nancy; Nov 22, 2008 at 02:14 AM. )
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2008, 02:29 AM

For typical laptop usage, yes. For heavy-duty enterprise use, this guy thinks they'd last about 6 months. Of course, no laptop user is ever going to get close to that kind of usage, but for something in between those two, who knows... meh, it'll probably be all right. SLC is still faster, though.

One thing the article brings up is that the larger size of MLC drives means there are more cells for the write leveling to spread writes across, which mitigates things a bit - and on that note, holy crap! 256 GB MLC drives are apparently going to be out real soon now. That's bigger than my current mechanical hard drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

xia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and info... I guess that one thing for sure is that the advancement of electronics never stops. Just look at the camera: when a camera is made of steel and glass, a 10-year old mechanical camera is as good as new (in its function). Now, every two months we see newer and better digital cameras that challenge our heart...

Forum Links
Forum Rules