Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Intermittent pausing after SMC and EFI updates

Intermittent pausing after SMC and EFI updates
hadocon
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 07:45 PM

I did the updates to my Macbook (late 2008) today. Now for some reason my system seems to intermittently lag about every 3 to 5 seconds.

This happens to all apps and the finder.

for example when I type rapidly it displays on the screen in spurts.

When I drag windows they seem _very_ choppy.

Scrolling is also choppy.

playing a video or music is fine however.

Anyone else with this annoying problem?

it makes my new 2.4Ghz 4GB ram Macbook feel like it's an old G4.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2008, 07:52 PM

Is this a new MacBook? Almost sounds like a graphics driver issue... I'd be interested to see if anyone else reports this.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 08:11 PM

It's a new (late 2008) macbook... Regardless, it totally sucks.

I knew I should not have done a firmware update. Last time I did that it bricked my black Macbook.

Ug.. This is really annoying. When I try to select a bunch of text invariably the first few letters are not highlighted as the computer stutters when I start my selection. For example; I just tried to select this line and the highlight did not start until halfway through the text.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 08:14 PM

It's almost like there is some sort of interrupt that is being triggered over and over. Jesus Christ - as I type this the text is going crazy in spurts. If I try to brighten the screen by holding down the brightness increase-key is jumps also.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2008, 08:18 PM

Have you got an external HDD you can re-install OS X onto?

I know you only did a firmware update but this would help to rule out a HDD or installation issue.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 08:23 PM

No - I don't have time time to do that.

It definitely seems like something is getting backed up - I use screen zooming quite a bit and sometimes I like to play with it (rapidly zooming in and out). When I do this now it is very stuttery and then after a while stops responding altogether until I do a right mouse-click. Sometimes I will zoom in and out and then it stops - and then all of a sudden it starts zooming in and out after I have stopped.

Like the system in busy and queueing commands.

I've looked in top and it shows no other resource hog.

This is so #$%^&ing lame. This is the 3rd time I've 43567'ed up a computer by doing Apple's recommended firmware update. BTW last time I had a firmware issue it was not covered by Applecare because it's software. Dicks.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2008, 02:23 AM

I have not performed the update yet, but my new Macbook does act similarly from time to time when I have an external display hooked up. Normally unplugging the display and plugging it back in works, but sometimes I have to reboot.

It does sound graphic card related. Hope you get it squared away.
Joe

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 10:27 AM

I rebooted and everything seems to be back to normal.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
I rebooted and everything seems to be back to normal.
New problem here... sort of similar. Although I reboot when it happens (which itself takes a while to access Apple menu.. etc.), I end up having to force quit most apps beforehand and sometimes even force shutdown. Reboot fixes the problem, but it has happened 3 times since the update and never happened before.

P.S. - no external display connected. (Only Apple bt kb, MX Revolution usb stick, ethernet.)
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules