Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > G4 forgets passwords after deep sleeping.

G4 forgets passwords after deep sleeping.
Jelle Monkmater
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: World capital of drugs and prostitution. Hmmm... SEXTC...
Dec 20, 2001, 05:26 AM

Hi there,

Not that this is much of a problem, more a curiosity, but whenever I put my computer to sleep at night, it forgets any and all passwords it should know.

An example:

I put my computer to sleep, go to sleep myself, wake up, go to work, come back, wake my computer and notice I can't connect to the Internet. No biggie, I just change the Network settings. But I can't because the settings are locked and I need to authenticate myself.

In the subsequent dialogue where you usually see your name displayed, I get nothing. Typing in my username/password results in an 'authentication denied' message.

So I log out, and try to log in as root (I have root access enabled simply because I am root on 12 50.000 dollar machines at work, and so I'm gonna be root on my single 5.000 dollar machine at home), but no dice: screen shakies are the result. In fact, I can't log in as any of the users.

After a restart, all is well again.

Now, as I said, it's no big problem because I put my computer through a rigorous sleep-deprivation regime, but it's an interesting phenomenon.

My main questions are:
1] Anybody know what process takes care of the authentication mechanism and how the communication goes from input to that process?
2] Where are passwords kept?
3] Anyone notice a similar problem?

Any ideas/mindless banter appreciated.

Oh yeah, as for my system: a completely stock G4 DP 500, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD (partitioned in OS 9 and OS X part), 100MB Zip disk (built-in) and DVD-RAM drive.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Jelle Monkmater ]
The one you love and the one who loves you are never the same person.

Kate
Senior User
Dec 20, 2001, 06:43 AM

I had the same effect. It might be connected to my problems with login/logout long delays. Since the request for user permissions is passed to netinfo/lookupd by the login app, which searches the remote and local domains for that info, the problem can get a hassel.
Since I changed the search order of lookup to first look for local services, rather than remote services, everything is better. Also the password weardness I had is gone now.

I suspect, that after deep sleep, lookupd performs a new initialize process and queries users and permissions again, but looks at networked services first, and subsequently times out then without looking locally and therefore loosing the info about user/permission/password.

After a cold boot it regains that knowledge because it queries local info by default then.

Just a guess.

The tip for the altered search order has been provided by a macnn poster, do a search for "login delay", if interested in the particulars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules