Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What's wrong with my OS X boot drive? Disk Utility says "Volume Needs Repair".

What's wrong with my OS X boot drive? Disk Utility says "Volume Needs Repair".
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 8, 2006, 03:13 PM

I've been having problems backing up my data on my Cube. DVD-RAM works fine, but with CD-R and DVD-R I get verification errors every time. After going through many, many coasters, even with discs burned at very slow speeds, and with two different Firewire drives even after firmware upgrades, I ran Disk Utility on my boot drive (where all my data is). It says:

"The underlying task reported failure on exit"
"Volume needs repair"

Can anyone decipher this info?

The strange part is my apps seem to work fine, and like I said, I could back the data up to DVD-RAM no problem. Media is Maxell 48X CD-R (burned at 24X or less) and Maxell 8X DVD-R (burned at 4X or even 2X). Burning with Toast 7. Running OS X 10.4.4. 1 GB RAM. Same results after a fresh reboot. I have experienced absolutely no kernel panics or freezes. Also, the burns work fine with the same drives and the same media on other computers.

Is it time simply for a reformat? (This install was originally a TiBook's, which I had cloned to the Cube.)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 05:07 PM

What happens if you boot from the OS X install disc and run Disk Utility?

Also, have you tried running DiskWarrior yet?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
What happens if you boot from the OS X install disc and run Disk Utility?

Also, have you tried running DiskWarrior yet?
Those were going to be my next two steps, tomorrow. (I don't have the stuff with me.)

1) Boot from my iBook and run Disk Utility AND/OR
2) Run DiskWarrior

However, even if things go well with the above, I'd still be tempted to reformat. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or what... In the meantime I'm backing up my data again and I'm archiving my existing backups from DVD-RAM to DVD-R too on another machine. Yes, I'm anal.

P.S. I'm posting from this same Cube right now. Everything else working fine, and no strange disk clicks or anything.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 01:17 AM

My Cube drive had some problems reading some disks but it is not a combo, just a DVD.

"Barwaraaawww"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
My Cube drive had some problems reading some disks but it is not a combo, just a DVD.
So does mine, but I never use that drive. It looks like something is going on with my hard drive/OS, which is making my external Firewire DVD burner unhappy.

BTW, I have now tried this Firewire drive with the same media with my iBook and iMac G5 and it burns and verifies correctly. Just not on the Cube.

Forum Links
Forum Rules