Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The French even think they are rude?

The French even think they are rude? (Page 2)
badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Same here. Every place I have been to I have been nice to.

I am thinking about going to Europe sometime soon. France is probably on my list.

Very good idea!
Am I right that you haven't left the north american continent yet (I think that I read somewhere that you haven't been flying yet)?
I think it would also be good if you once would visit other parts of the world - Asia and Africa for example - you will be surprized how different people can be throughout the world! You don't nearly learn this watching some news channel!
I consider this very important if someone wants to have a proper opinion about foreign politics - especially people who can vote in the US (I think you know why)!

dcolton
Banned
Oct 15, 2004, 09:52 AM

France. Yes, they are rude, arrogant, and basically a bunch of dingleberries. Nonetheless, how is that different from most Europeans in general?

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by dcolton:
France. Yes, they are rude, arrogant, and basically a bunch of dingleberries. Nonetheless, how is that different from most Europeans in general?
With that attitude you won't have much success finding friendly people anywhere in the world!
(a fact that about half -46%?- of the US population seems to find difficult to understand )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 10:18 AM

I am thinking about going to Europe sometime soon. France is probably on my list.
You're sure they let you in ?

Ok, enough.

+1

-t

dencamp
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 10:24 AM

Gosh, I long to hear your long list of cultural observations. OK, I've made it easy for you, just fill in the blanks with your judgements on each country:
* Afghanistan:
* Albania:
* Algeria:
* Andorra:
* Angola:
* Antigua and Barbuda:
* Argentina:
* Armenia:
* Australia:
* Austria:
* Azerbaijan:
* Bahamas:
* Bahrain:
* Bangladesh:
* Barbados:
* Belarus:
* Belgium:
* Belize:
* Benin:
* Bhutan:
* Bolivia:
* Bosnia and Herzegovina:
* Botswana:
* Brazil:
* Brunei:
* Bulgaria:
* Burkina Faso:
* Burundi:
* Cambodia:
* Cameroon:
* Canada:
* Cape Verde:
* Central African Republic:
* Chad:
* Chile:
* China:
* Colombia:
* Comoros:
* Congo:
* Congo:
* Costa Rica:
* Croatia:
* Cuba:
* Cyprus:
* Czech Republic:
* C�te d'Ivoire:
* Denmark:
* Djibouti:
* Dominica:
* Dominican Republic:
* East Timor:
* Ecuador:
* Egypt:
* El Salvador:
* Equatorial Guinea:
* Eritrea:
* Estonia:
* Ethiopia:
* Fiji:
* Finland:
* Gabon:
* Gambia:
* Georgia:
* Germany:
* Ghana:
* Greece:
* Grenada:
* Guatemala:
* Guinea:
* Guinea-Bissau:
* Guyana:
* Haiti:
* Honduras:
* Hungary:
* Iceland:
* India:
* Indonesia:
* Iran:
* Iraq:
* Ireland:

When You finish with these, I'' give you I-S

Two steps forward (six steps back)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2004, 01:03 PM

Oh, the irony...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 15, 2004, 01:22 PM

Same here. Every place I have been to I have been nice to. I am thinking about going to Europe sometime soon. France is probably on my list.
... very nifty! If you have the chance, make sure you visit us bone-headed Germans as well - we're just around the corner - quite a few beautiful places here ...

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 15, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by badidea:

Very good idea!
Am I right that you haven't left the north american continent yet (I think that I read somewhere that you haven't been flying yet)?

Actually I have been to Mexico, Argentina, and Canada.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 15, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
... very nifty! If you have the chance, make sure you visit us bone-headed Germans as well - we're just around the corner - quite a few beautiful places here ...
Yeah I plan on going to Germany. Apparently most of my ancestors are from there.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 15, 2004, 04:38 PM

My friend comes from a french speaking colony, and even he admits that the french are rude buggers. They have a very xenophobic, unaccommodating attitude and arrogance towards others. France ceased being significant hundreds of years ago, and yet one would think that france is stuck in some timewarp, where it is still 1700 or thereabouts.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 15, 2004, 04:41 PM

Yeah I plan on going to Germany. Apparently most of my ancestors are from there.
AHHH-HAAAA !!!

That explains everything ... yet another bone-headed Kraut

Let us know when you plan on traveling. Beers will be on me - from one bone-headed Kraut to another. Sightseeing tour of one of Germany's nicest towns included.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:
Gosh, I long to hear your long list of cultural observations. OK, I've made it easy for you, just fill in the blanks with your judgements on each country:
* Afghanistan:
* Ireland:

When You finish with these, I'' give you I-S
* Afghanistan: Boring
* Albania: Boring
* Algeria: Boring
* Andorra: Boring
* Angola: Boring
* Antigua and Barbuda: Boring
* Argentina: Boring
* Iran: Boring
* Iraq: Boring
* Ireland: Boring

Next please..

deedar
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 04:55 PM

We have people working here in the US that doesn't even know the language.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
My friend comes from a french speaking colony, and even he admits that the french are rude buggers. They have a very xenophobic, unaccommodating attitude and arrogance towards others. France ceased being significant hundreds of years ago, and yet one would think that france is stuck in some timewarp, where it is still 1700 or thereabouts.
French being rude to lazy Antillais or whatever because they take all of France's tax money and slack off all day smoking weed* and France's supposed lack of contribution since 1700, Rochambeau, and Louis Pasteur notwithstanding have nothing to do with one another.

See two can play at totally sh1tty logic in this kind of forum. Go back to playing video games tough guy.

*satire

swrate
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 10:08 PM

http://washingtontimes.com/world/200...2209-7042r.htm

PARIS � The French are arrogant, rude and surly to foreign visitors, said a leading French politician behind a scathing report on how the Gallic welcome leaves much to be desired.
____Bernard Plasait, a member of France's upper house of parliament, has concluded what millions of visitors have known for years.
____"Our bad image in this area, the arrogance we are accused of, our refusal to speak foreign languages, the sense we give that it's a great honor to visit us are among the ugly facts of which we should not be proud," reads the first paragraph of Mr. Plasait's report, which was commissioned by the government....
____Tourism Minister Leon Bertrand said, "Our aim is to let tourists know that France is trying to improve its welcome and the French that they have to do better."

Well at least they are planning on doing something about it.
All depends on the people one knows.

�Well at least they are planning on doing something about it�
you say about the French , yes, some people any nationality are rude, and don't plan on doing anything about it, so "it could be worse"
Its like everywhere, some people are ruder then others, �too rude�.

Germany and Neueschwanstein Castle, Greece, Italy, France, UK, Sweeden ..... so many treasures to visit in EU. Its' wrth flying over to "Old Europe". Switzerland is also a place to visit, experience the three/four linguistic areas if you have the time, you will notice differences of mentality, needless to say the landscapes are breathtaking the trains are on time and the cities are clean, most everyone has good living conditions. Moving around and changing environment opens the mind.

swrate
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 10:16 PM

Pakhead in urdu,
Dingleberry, des baies, oui mais, baies de quoi, des baies de dingle tree.
Mauvais go�t.
I searched in the Oxford dictionary to find about that fabulous new berry, appreciated the dinghy, dingle definition. Did you ever taste dingleberries? They must be of a poisonous sort.

Here it is "too rude":
Do you think you are rude?
To admit it one would fist have to see it.

ambush
Banned
Oct 15, 2004, 10:23 PM

that is when your proletarian budget will allow you to (e.g. in a long long time). or will you fall into the credit abyss?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 10:50 PM

Why would you want to go to France?!

willed
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 05:18 AM

If you make the effort, the French can be some of the most welcoming and friendly people in the world. I expect they're just tired of fat-ass Americans and English football hooligans and are rude to them. Fair 'nuff if you ask me. Nobody likes an ass-kisser.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 16, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by willed:
If you make the effort, the French can be some of the most welcoming and friendly people in the world. I expect they're just tired of fat-ass Americans and English football hooligans and are rude to them. Fair 'nuff if you ask me. Nobody likes an ass-kisser.
I think there are obnoxious people wherever you go. The sad part is, they are usually the loudest. They give those who are not, bad names.

Which is probably the case in France.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
If you are German then our best friends, the French, can be extremely rude (quite understandable)!
i dunno, i've had much better experiences with french people than with spaniards. for example, i've been to france countless times, and have always been treated quite courteously. but i must admit, i've had a rather limited number of experiences with spanish people. some of them weren't too pleasant...meh. all perspective i guess.
( Last edited by phoenixboy70; Oct 16, 2004 at 08:48 PM. )

entrox
Senior User
Oct 16, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
Sightseeing tour of one of Germany's nicest towns included.
And that would be dev/null I suppose? Must be in Bavaria - they were always a little strange. Better come to Stuttgart instead and eat lots of Maultaschen and Sp�tzle!

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 16, 2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by entrox:
And that would be dev/null I suppose? Must be in Bavaria - they were always a little strange. Better come to Stuttgart instead and eat lots of Maultaschen and Sp�tzle!
Stuttgart? For the food - definitely. For visiting museums? Hmmm ... yeah, I could live with that. But for general sightseeing? Bleh! How many historic buildings you guys got left that weren't blown up during WW2? Four, five?

Btw, "dev/null" is in "Gelbf��ler" country - 60mls. northwest from where you are

Atomic Rooster
Oct 16, 2004, 05:20 PM

Zimphire says 'even' in the thread title...soooo he must be including himself.

Americans are to the French as...

Zimphire is to this forum.

He calls everyone who differs with him, fanboys sooooo....

All Americans who think France is gay must be fanboys.

It's the math.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 16, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Have you actually ever been to France?

Parisians are no more rude than New Yorkers
Yes, I have.

No, they are. Give me NY'ers any day.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
Yes, I have.

I would rather be strangled with the French flag than listen to a new yorker talk for 5 seconds.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 16, 2004, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:

Americans are to the French as...

Zimphire is to this forum.

He calls everyone who differs with him, fanboys sooooo....

All Americans who think France is gay must be fanboys.

It's the math.

Hurry, there is time before I close off memberships.

BTW there are plenty of people in here that "differ" with me that aren't fanboys. It takes more than just "differing"
( Last edited by Zimphire; Oct 16, 2004 at 10:22 PM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
I believe that was a reference to the general stereotype that the French are rude. In fact, if you want to, you could take the 'even' to mean that he doesn't think they are rude.

Anyway - as he said himself (Zimph, that is), it is quite understandable that the French are more or less tired of obnoxious tourists, of which they probably have more than a fair share. Doesn't make them any less nice to you if you're not an obnoxious tourist. I've only been treated rudely very few times in France, and all these times, it was obviously just rude people (as in individuals), not a rude people.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
Yes, I have.

That must be the joke of the century. After Star Wars Bodypart you must be one of the rudest people on this board, who thinks it's cool to slag off anyone who doesn't agree with your piss poor excuse for humour. That's usually the picture I have of the UK, people sitting in pubs binge drinking and either getting violent due to the frustration they feel, or simply using their overextended sense of cynicism to ward off the feelings of unhappiness.

And yes, I have been there. I really hated the UK. By far the most unfriendly place I have ever been to.
weird wabbit

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2004, 10:20 AM

I remember a load of us here helping you to find a cheap hotel in or near Cannes or Nice a while back for a trip you planned to make at the end of October. Some of those helping you were Europeans. Is that what you call rudeness and arrogance? Why are you even going to that conference, since you hate the place so much?

I don't know what fuels your fanatic xenophobia, but it's really pitiful. You're like a little child.
weird wabbit

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 17, 2004, 10:37 AM

*double-smackdown*

(btw, not "like a child". Children by nature are innocent. And even though there's many characteristics I'd attribute to dcolton, most of which end in "-phobia", "innocence" is most certainly not one of them.)

ambush
Banned
Oct 17, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
That must be the joke of the century. After Star Wars Bodypart you must be one of the rudest people on this board, who thinks it's cool to slag off anyone who doesn't agree with your piss poor excuse for humour. That's usually the picture I have of the UK, people sitting in pubs binge drinking and either getting violent due to the frustration they feel, or simply using their overextended sense of cynicism to ward off the feelings of unhappiness.

And yes, I have been there. I really hated the UK. By far the most unfriendly place I have ever been to.
have you seen the end of Trainspotting

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 17, 2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
I believe that was a reference to the general stereotype that the French are rude. In fact, if you want to, you could take the 'even' to mean that he doesn't think they are rude.

Anyway - as he said himself (Zimph, that is), it is quite understandable that the French are more or less tired of obnoxious tourists, of which they probably have more than a fair share. Doesn't make them any less nice to you if you're not an obnoxious tourist. I've only been treated rudely very few times in France, and all these times, it was obviously just rude people (as in individuals), not a rude people.

Ois�n: The anti-fanboy

ambush
Banned
Oct 17, 2004, 11:38 AM

Ois�n: The anti-fanboy
you wish you could be as eloquent

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 17, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
you wish you could be as eloquent
Yeah, I just point and laugh.

An Alias
Forum Regular
Location: NOT in The People's Theocratic Republic of Homophobia
Oct 17, 2004, 11:53 AM

The French are great my ex's husband is french and couldn't meet a nicer bloke. Also, when I was 19, me and a friend busked our way around france, especially Paris, best adventure ever, the people and the country was eye-opening, and lovely. The only souring moment was this German guy we met, he sotle my mates towels out of his rucksack. I kid you not.
Who, or what actually won the US election? Intolerance. The Bush campaign was built around pushing God down people's throats; attacking Gays; and more Guns for the idiotic. Gays, Guns & God. Congratulations, you just participated in one big joke.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 12:14 PM

I would say people in the UK are more wary than unfriendly. English in particular are withdrawn but once you get to know them, most are OK. Although we do have a problem with pub/club violence etc

Having being to the bodensee 'region' recently I can see how someone from mainland Europe can see the Brits as unfriendly, 'cause by their standards we are! I really like it round there, and most people speak English - very well - enough to know obscure slang

I haven't been to France recently (other than passing through) for a few years now, but I remember them as friendly - accidentally smashed a glass table in a bank and they apologised to me and said they were getting a wooden one 'cause it wasn't the first time it happened.

I think it really depends on who you meet - though I'd say the chances on meeting indifference/unfriendlyness in London for example is higher than most other places in Europe.

But we're not all unfriendly bastards

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 01:13 PM

And here I found the people to be really polite during my short stay in London as well. WTF. Am I just lucky, or are you guys just really overly sensitive, or what?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by moodymonster:
I would say people in the UK are more wary than unfriendly. English in particular are withdrawn but once you get to know them, most are OK. Although we do have a problem with pub/club violence etc

Having being to the bodensee 'region' recently I can see how someone from mainland Europe can see the Brits as unfriendly, 'cause by their standards we are! I really like it round there, and most people speak English - very well - enough to know obscure slang

I haven't been to France recently (other than passing through) for a few years now, but I remember them as friendly - accidentally smashed a glass table in a bank and they apologised to me and said they were getting a wooden one 'cause it wasn't the first time it happened.

I think it really depends on who you meet - though I'd say the chances on meeting indifference/unfriendlyness in London for example is higher than most other places in Europe.

But we're not all unfriendly bastards

You're right actually. I've been to the UK pretty often and the people in general are quite ok. London can be quite rude and snooty, but I suppose that's the same for most big cities. There's only one thing in the UK that gets to me and that is the habit of certain people to slag anyone and anything off because they're unhappy for some or other reason. Usually I just ignore it but sometimes it really bothers me, the way that they can be so extremely negative about everything.

That said, one of the most vivid memories of the UK I have is being in a pub near Wood Green (I think) on a new year's eve, where the whole place just exploded into violence a few minutes after midnight for no obvious reason.

On the other hand, London is probably one of the most creative cities in the world. There's probably more creative people there per square mile than anywhere else.
weird wabbit

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 17, 2004, 02:30 PM

+1

MUTHA!!!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
I would rather be strangled with the French flag than listen to a new yorker talk for 5 seconds.

word.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 04:14 PM

You're right actually. I've been to the UK pretty often and the people in general are quite ok. London can be quite rude and snooty, but I suppose that's the same for most big cities. There's only one thing in the UK that gets to me and that is the habit of certain people to slag anyone and anything off because they're unhappy for some or other reason. Usually I just ignore it but sometimes it really bothers me, the way that they can be so extremely negative about everything.

That said, one of the most vivid memories of the UK I have is being in a pub near Wood Green (I think) on a new year's eve, where the whole place just exploded into violence a few minutes after midnight for no obvious reason.

On the other hand, London is probably one of the most creative cities in the world. There's probably more creative people there per square mile than anywhere else.
Yeah, we do like to have a moan, nothing like something to go wrong to get tube travellers to break the taboo of not talking to other people and have a communal moan .

Wood Green is quite violent, not the best place to be really. Walthamstow, Ilford etc in that part of London aren't the nicest places to be.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by moodymonster:
Yeah, we do like to have a moan, nothing like something to go wrong to get tube travellers to break the taboo of not talking to other people and have a communal moan .

Wood Green is quite violent, not the best place to be really. Walthamstow, Ilford etc in that part of London aren't the nicest places to be.
Wood Green isn't so bad anymore. Turnpike Lane is the place to steer clear from though.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Wood Green isn't so bad anymore. Turnpike Lane is the place to steer clear from though.
it is a while since I've been to that part of town

Forum Links
Forum Rules