Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Kanga OS8 or OS9

Kanga OS8 or OS9
masons247
Jul 14, 2006, 02:12 PM

Hi. I have a Kanga 3500 Powerbook: 250MHz, 64MB Ram, 7Gig Hard Drive.

Which would run faster on the machine OS 8 or os 9? I would like to have OS 9 for some applications, but I do not want it to go slow. What do you guys think?

Also, how can I get my laptop running faster (disk cache, virtual ram, ram disk, etc...) I dont know what to set this stuff at for best performance

Thanks!

flanders
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2006, 04:10 PM

Run OS9, OS8 was just as slow IIRC and 9 had more features especially where the internet was concerned. With that much RAM, even 9 should work at top speed. You can speed it up even further by turning off virtual memory, running off of a RAM disk, etc. but I think you would find the speed quite acceptable without doing much tweaking at all.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2006, 08:16 PM

Put OS9 on it.

finboy
Jul 19, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Put OS9 on it.
Put the highest 9 on it you can, unless you need to run specific stuff that might not run in nine (I still have some of that).

OS9Helper might be your friend, just google it.

Cross
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 09:05 PM

I was always one to go for the max on that so I agree OS 9.

However the site System7Today offers a lot of comparisons and they seem to favor os7-8 as you can use the Speed up and mem applications for more tweaks under it.

I am currently putting OS 9 back on my TiBook to see if I can get back to it for most of what I do. I miss it lol. (Yeah I am strange).

I like OS 9 just because it was my understanding that they finished moving everything over to PPC code from 680x0 code. I find that the most important factor to me, esp since your using a G3 processor.
"I see you have the ring and I see that your Schwartz is as big as mine." -- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

finboy
Jul 25, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by masons247
Hi. I have a Kanga 3500 Powerbook: 250MHz, 64MB Ram, 7Gig Hard Drive.

Which would run faster on the machine OS 8 or os 9? I would like to have OS 9 for some applications, but I do not want it to go slow. What do you guys think?

Also, how can I get my laptop running faster (disk cache, virtual ram, ram disk, etc...) I dont know what to set this stuff at for best performance

Thanks!

If you can get a copy of SpeedDoubler, it might justify using whatever system is supported by it. It was a great application, and I doubt that the bulk of OS 9 is offset by the native code. It's worth a shot.

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2006, 02:16 PM

OS 9.1 worked great on my PowerBook G3 Kanga. Everything was fast, really fast, Finder, most apps, everything …�beautiful machine. Only the screen was a bit small …
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2006, 10:34 PM

OS 9, it ran well on a PowerBook 3400.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Forum Links
Forum Rules