Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Uh... where is Disk Copy in Panther? Gone?

Uh... where is Disk Copy in Panther? Gone?
Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 09:34 AM

Hi

I saw a friend of mine and his panther does not show Disk Copy anywhere, yet when I downloaded Glinx (A gamehouse game), the finder opened it and placed it on his desktop...

It used something called DiskImageMounter, yet when I did a search on the software on his HD, I couldn't find it...

Does this mean it was the end of that software? If so then how can I make img. files from now on or dmg on Panther?

Does anyone know where to find it?

Thanks...

�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 09:35 AM

Disk Utility.

Hint: This board has a search facility.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Disk Utility.

Thanks, but the search in this forum gives a person so inaccurate results cause people don't really answer anyones question....

This place is getting worse and worse...

Tak, Erik but, in the past 7 posts here in the forum I get this reply : Look in the forum, do a search, do this and that... But to be honest, I don't get it anymore.

I thought this place was to ask and get help. I am glad you helped me Erik, but most of the time I see posts made by others asking serious questions and all the readers have to say is Look for your self.

This place does not cost anything, it is not like that this place will get overloaded by questions and in the end crash...

If you look at those who ask serious questions about Panther (not mine), they get this : Are you using a pirated version of the OS? Honestly who the hell cares??? I just want to know what people think of the os, if that means they went into the future and stole a copy of MacOS X 10.5. to bring the news...

This place feels more and more like a windoze forum with all those angry people lashing out at the readers... In fact the other day I found one of the admins here talk about how bad the people have become and what went wrong... More or less what he said...

We don't rent space here so we should be able to ask what ever we want... That means if a new switcher or a new computer user wants to ask a question, they should be allowed to regardless of silly it may sound... THAT IS WHY WE HAVE THIS PLACE!!

In fact I have been thinking about dropping this forum all together... It has become very poor and people are not helping out very much anymore...

Time to move on, and from what I see, Macnn, has had its time... Unless they will come with a radical new way of making people understand that this place is meant to help people, then I don't think I will post here anymore or for that matter come to Macnn.com

There are so many other sites out there anyway...

You can keep your negativity... Just leave me out of it...

And to those people who are true mac users who like to help out and remember how it was in the good old days, to you I say, don't ever change into these kind of bitter people who post negative stuff about people all the time...

Again Erik, it was nothing personal, Det ved du!

But, I have to say it cause no matter where I look in this forum people have become like this...

too bad I liked this place though....
saw the vision of the

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 09:53 AM

Not for nothing, but a little investigation might help also. I was trying to burn the Panther Server CDs using Panther and I had the same question. I figured Apple wouldn't be so dumb as to delete the app, so I fired up Disk Util and sure enough, one of the file menu options was "Burn Image".

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Lyra:
Thanks, but the search in this forum gives a person so inaccurate results cause people don't really answer anyones question....

[long rant why this place sucks deleted]
If I see it right, it took 1 (!) minute until you got your question answered. I'd say that's pretty good.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2003, 10:01 AM

Tak, Erik but, in the past 7 posts here in the forum I get this reply : Look in the forum, do a search, do this and that... But to be honest, I don't get it anymore.

I thought this place was to ask and get help.
I second this sentiment. I'm tired of reading posts that argue over the "meta" content of the post rather than the content itself.

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
If I see it right, it took 1 (!) minute until you got your question answered. I'd say that's pretty good.
Yeah that was a good one...

Listen you took one recent post, nice of Erik to help. But look through all the posts where people ask a question and get a lame reply, "use the search function, have you ever heard of search, where are you from since you can do a search etc..."

Let me say this, Here is an idea DO A SEARCH AND GIVE ME ALL THE RESULTS WHERE PEOPLE ARE NOT HELPING OTHERS BUT RATHER LASHING OUT AT THEM!!! See how well you do...

What does it cost you anyway to help out someone in need? Nothing...

You can't just say generalize this one case where I got a good result... Most of the posting here are worth nothing anymore, namely due to remarks like yours... It justifies nothing when compared to the massive amount of posts where people get nothing but pointless remarks and not even scratching the surface of their question or topic...

saw the vision of the

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Not for nothing, but a little investigation might help also. I was trying to burn the Panther Server CDs using Panther and I had the same question. I figured Apple wouldn't be so dumb as to delete the app, so I fired up Disk Util and sure enough, one of the file menu options was "Burn Image".

Mike
Thanks Mike, I appreciate your answer... It matters when someone answers back with a reply like yours...

We need more people like you here on Macnn...

saw the vision of the

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by quadgrande:
I second this sentiment. I'm tired of reading posts that argue over the "meta" content of the post rather than the content itself.
I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. I answered his question in less than a minute from when it was asked.

I also POINTED OUT that if he had just used the search box he would have found several relevant threads where this where already answered.

There has been too many duplicate threads just today. The search facility is there, and there's absolutely NO REASON to even think that he was the first to have this "problem".

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 10:19 AM

I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. I answered his question in less than a minute from when it was asked.

I also POINTED OUT that if he had just used the search box he would have found several relevant threads where this where already answered.

There has been too many duplicate threads just today. The search facility is there, and there's absolutely NO REASON to even think that he was the first to have this "problem".
Amen.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 10:20 AM

Let me say this, Here is an idea DO A SEARCH AND GIVE ME ALL THE RESULTS WHERE PEOPLE ARE NOT HELPING OTHERS BUT RATHER LASHING OUT AT THEM!!! See how well you do...

What does it cost you anyway to help out someone in need? Nothing...
Here's one.

Look, duplicate threads are problem.

Obviously you are aware of the search box, but you chose not to use it. I found a relevant thread in less than the time it would have taken me to type up a post the size of yours.

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 11:04 AM

Here's one.

Look, duplicate threads are problem.

Obviously you are aware of the search box, but you chose not to use it. I found a relevant thread in less than the time it would have taken me to type up a post the size of yours.
Tak...

Then I must be the worst human to search the Macnn forums in the world..

I simply cannot find it...

But thanks for the link...
saw the vision of the

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 11:22 AM

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your answer... It matters when someone answers back with a reply like yours...

We need more people like you here on Macnn...

You see, I love poking around operating systems so that if something goes wrong, or if I can't find anything, I know where to look. It's very hard for me to look at computers the same way my parents do (well, my mom mostly - my dad's gotten MUCH better at it). I'm always looking at how it works and that's helped me a lot over the years. That's why I answer more questions than I ask .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 11:31 AM

Nerds help those that help themselves. They don't like to be taken for granted. In the future, if you just add at the beginning or end of your post that you tried searching through the forum and with google, but couldn't find anything (even if you didn't because you're lazy), people with the answers will be much happier about helping you. just a tip

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Uncle Skeleton:
Ok, will do, thanks for the tip...

Though I did, try to search, though not on Google.. But I am pretty lame at finding anything of use when I search... But be entering too long sentences or I don't know...

Perhaps I am Forrest Gump...?
saw the vision of the

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2003, 12:24 PM

How does someone who can't search get a pre-release of Panther?

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today._ Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime." - unknown

"Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.� - unknown

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by car1son:
How does someone who can't search get a pre-release of Panther?

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today._ Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime." - unknown

"Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.� - unknown
And the two are in some ways connected?

What's it to you anyway, you get yours in a week. I got mine cause I got a G5, and the guy gave it to me early. Big deal... If you want to start that part of the discussion, go elsewhere...

You are the reason why people leave Macnn.

same people all over...
saw the vision of the

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 12:47 PM

Disk Utility.

I can't find the other thread that deals with this issue (even though I know I posted in it!) Faen.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules