Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > new business card [jpg]

new business card [jpg]
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 9, 2006, 01:13 AM

hey guys im designing me a new business card with our new web address (no up yet). I was wondering what you guys thought. Also I know this is grungy but I work with youth and youth minister type stuff so this style is "in" for this time now. But guys what would you change about it, I`m a freshman in college so I`m not that advanced, but its not a excuse.

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2006, 05:20 AM

well I like the paint splashes and pen lines but that grungy font has got to go - its so '99 and the kids will know it.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 05:06 PM

My 2ยข

I think you need to reconsider the design from the ground up. While "grungy" may be "in" that doesn't mean that you should make your business card "grungy." If it were me (and again, I'm only giving you my opinion...) I would go with something more middle ground. Perhaps something between your design and a typical design.

I also wouldn't print this as a black business card... it may make you stand apart... but in a bad way.

Even as a "Goth" like design, I would consider an alternative... I can see the Photoshop like design... which generally isn't a good thing.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 09:06 PM

It is too busy and the grungy is too trendy right now.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

kyles_mac
Jan 10, 2006, 12:43 AM

From my understanding, a business card should display your personality, not what is trendy at the time. If grungy is the best way to describe you as a designer use it.

Personally, I'm not sure if it would work. Since you would have to print the black, you may get too much bleed with the grunge type, which may not look exactly the way you wanted it.

Just reconsider why you are doing the business card. You don't need to be trendy on your business card, instead be yourself.

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 10:56 AM

well theres no reason you couldn't print the black ink well - just use a good coated stock, gloss for best coverage and then use a matt cello to tone down the gloss and prevent ink rub-off.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 03:10 PM

There IS no reason not to print black, but I think everyones point is... the design needs work.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 04:20 PM

My first question...how many people have called your cell phone after seeing this post?

I agree with what's been said thus far.

IMO if you're ever designing something with a distressed font and want a non-computer generated look, you should tweak the type so none of the letters repeat. For example, the letter A is the exact same A in every place on your card. It's a pain to do but it will make a big difference in my mind.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 02:14 AM

I think there is just too much detail going on for a business card... I like the grunge thing, but also think about what is going on there on your screen print, and what actually will be printed. Just way too much going on, reduce it a tad bit, and I think it will work fine. Colours are good IMO...

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 03:24 AM

Practice safe design, use a concept.

Yardsale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 01:47 AM

you are going to be embarrassed to show this design 5 years from now

sara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2006, 08:53 AM

Hmm.. I dont think so.. The design itself is really great, even 10 yrs from now, it would still look good..

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by sara
Hmm.. I dont think so.. The design itself is really great, even 10 yrs from now, it would still look good..
[/URL]

This design will not withstand the test of time. It's very much a flavor of the moment style. And good luck with that URL running so close to the bottom edge.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo
hey guys im designing me a new business card with our new web address (no up yet). I was wondering what you guys thought. Also I know this is grungy but I work with youth and youth minister type stuff so this style is "in" for this time now. But guys what would you change about it, I`m a freshman in college so I`m not that advanced, but its not a excuse.

[IMG]...[/IMG]
Iftz, I dig the colors and the illustrations in the background. I think my biggest issue though is that the design seems to be having hierarchy problems. Immediately my eyes get snagged almost by the type, and I have to force them to move around because the type is so strong compared to the rest of the elements. The illustrations, the type, the gray silhouette, etc, don't achieve a good gestalt IMO.

Typically, overuse of display fonts (fonts meant for display purposes which are not suitable for body copy) can have a negative effect by making the designer look like a novice. The distressed type looks cool in it's own, but it is used so heavily in your design that it has a bad repetition. A better way I'm thinking to get that same look without the repetition would be to use a common bold font and add a mask overlay of some interesting texture. Old cookie sheets make great looking masks, just find one and scan it in (just an idea). I'm also thinking an old style serif typeface would add a bit more to the retro look you're after. My 1st choice would be garamond bold, but that's just me.

Anyhow, that's just a few of my ideas about your design, for what it's worth
( Last edited by greenamp; Jan 24, 2006 at 04:10 PM. )

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 03:27 PM

...dp
( Last edited by greenamp; Jan 24, 2006 at 04:11 PM. )

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 03:28 PM

...dp
( Last edited by greenamp; Jan 24, 2006 at 04:11 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules