Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Serious damage to iPhone

Serious damage to iPhone
Parvez
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2008, 10:58 PM

Hi!

One of my friend bought an iPhone last week. She also bought this cover ($20 something she said) and I don't know how but it made a deep scratch on her iPhone.

Here is the image:

I circled the scratch.

And this was the cheap cover:

Is there any ways to get that fixed? What if she takes it to the Apple Store or something?

Any suggestions? or just live with it?

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2008, 11:15 PM

bump?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 11:15 PM

Well.. I'm guessing Apple wouldnt do much and I doubt the company that made the case would do anything. I personally would just live with it. I see this as a battle that will be difficult if not impossible to win.

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2008, 11:19 PM

Oh. That sucks. She is like crying right now and going nuts and saying she wants to sue the case company. Haha. Childish - I know.

Can't Apple re-color or replace the back plate?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 04:58 AM

Tell her to buy a new backplate from here: iPhone Rear Panel - iFixit

$50 isn't bad

bobablob
Jan 16, 2008, 02:48 PM

Uh, is all the damage just that scratch to the back plate? That's hardly "serious" since it in no way interfers with the use or enjoyment of the device. Tell your friend to grow up.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 03:43 PM

Shhh! It's people like her that fuel the economy!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 06:32 PM

Yeah, Apple wont do anything for ya. But some case companies guarantee their cases so that if they scratch your device they'll repair it. But unfortunately most don't since its sometimes hard to prove if it was user caused or case caused.

I think she's out of luck except for an after-market replacement like Tomchu linked. Or she could just get a different case, one that actually covers the back with rubber or some other color to hide the scratch. Out of sight, out of mind?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 06:47 PM

You might be able to get the company to spring for a new backplate, threaten to contact the better business bureau and make a complaint, be polite and firm, and tell them what you want them to do to make you happy, escalate it and ask politely and firmly to talk to a manager.

EmericanPatriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
You might be able to get the company to spring for a new backplate, threaten to contact the better business bureau and make a complaint, be polite and firm, and tell them what you want them to do to make you happy, escalate it and ask politely and firmly to talk to a manager.
That's crazy.

Grow up and realize things will get damaged as you use them. Since you took the time to post pictures of your damaged iPhone but not of the "case that caused the damage" I'm assuming there was something that was in between the case and the iPhone, unless there's some obvious defect in the case in which case you would have taken a picture and posted the defect already.

MacTruck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 09:35 AM

it looks like it was trying to draw the apple logo... but failed. sorry bout the scratch. i doubt apple will do much. just getting that iPhone broken in.
-nate

::15-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz
::iPod Touch 16GB

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by EmericanPatriot View Post
That's crazy.

Grow up and realize things will get damaged as you use them. Since you took the time to post pictures of your damaged iPhone but not of the "case that caused the damage" I'm assuming there was something that was in between the case and the iPhone, unless there's some obvious defect in the case in which case you would have taken a picture and posted the defect already.
I don't think it's crazy - I was assuming that there was some obvious defect in the case, in which case, as it were, I think this is a reasonable course of action. Of course, taking a deep breath and forgetting about it is just as reasonable.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2008, 12:01 AM

I'm sure Apple will be happy to do something, just don't expect them to do it for free. They will be glad to charge her to replace it. There was nothing to imply that she is expecting some free replacement. Just contact Apple and tell them you want them to replace the back and you will pay whatever it costs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules