Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Tiger iSync not syncing all devices at once

Tiger iSync not syncing all devices at once
JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 03:11 PM

Howdy,

I upgraded to Tiger over the weekend and noticed that when I use iSync with my Treo 650, it only syncs the Treo with my Mac and does not sync other attached devices (iPod, K700, .Mac). The iSync log makes no mention of them. However, if I then do a manual iSync (click its Sync button), the Treo of course does not sync but the other items sync fine. So now syncing is a two step process.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 04:07 PM

I've noticed that if I sync my Tungsten T (by pressing the sync button on the cradle), it doesn't activate iSync at all, yet everything IS synced correctly with iCal and Address Book. This means that my iPod isn't synced at the same time now.

If I click the button in iSync, it then prompts me to press the hotsync button on my cradle. If I do that, then it does sync both my iPod and my Tungsten at the same time. Not a major problem for me, but I did think it a little odd.

Incidentally setting up plam synching seems easier in iSync now. It holds your hand through more of the process and installs the iSync Conduit for you.
12" Rev B PB

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 12:58 PM

I think the new iSync idea sucks, especially if you are a .mac member. Here is why:

They iSync menu bar button only enables the .mac syncing from you Mac to the .mac server and other Macs.

The Panther version of iSync's menu bar button syncronized all your devices.

Now, with Tiger, I must separately run the iSync Application from the Apps folder to syncronize my iPod and cell phone. This is more work than before. I know you can have the .mac work on a schedule, but would rather have it work all in one window.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 01:10 PM

The more I hear and experience iSync 2.0, the more disappointed I am.
It's still buggy, far to little customizing options and quite tricky to get to work.

Apple, this shouldn't be too hard to be fixed, Come on...

-t

TypeMRT
May 4, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
Now, with Tiger, I must separately run the iSync Application from the Apps folder to syncronize my iPod and cell phone. This is more work than before. I know you can have the .mac work on a schedule, but would rather have it work all in one window.
...and it sucks because it's one more app in the dock, when the menu bar was so nice.

kcmac
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 12:42 AM

I don't like this .Mac/iSync thing now either. Come on Apple, do it one place please.

Has anyone gotten iCal to sync to .Mac and show up on .Mac? I click on the Calendar in .Mac and it takes me to the iCal site. Doesn't appear to be working.

I also do not like that when syncing with .Mac, it doesn't tell you what is going on like in iSync. It just shows the progress bar. I really hate this. Makes me nervous not knowing if it is even working.

This is a bad case of tinkering in my book.

TypeMRT
May 5, 2005, 12:48 AM

Check out this thread on Apple's board: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 01:28 AM

I am trying to think how Apple intended this to work.

---For .mac members like myself:

.mac syncing either takes place automatically (from the .mac prefs in Sys Prefs) or you can click the menu bar icon and do it manually

all other devices (iPod, phone, Palm) must be done manually thru the iSync application itself

---For non .mac members:

they lose out on the convenience of having the menu bar icon activate the iSync app for all their devices, and must activate the iSync application itself

I would just prefer a one-click solution, like in the old iSync. It seems that old system was easier for both .mac and non-.mac members. Oh well.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules