Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to connect ur iPhone to ur WiFi router

How to connect ur iPhone to ur WiFi router
defiantmacho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2010, 09:30 AM

Ok guys. This is the simple way I used to connect my iPhone to my Netgear router. I have posted this a long time ago in several places on the internet in hopes I can help alleviate the frustration of all of you that have spent hours poking your routers, or wasting time with Apple Support.

1. In your iPhone, go to Settings>General>About. Then, scroll down to "Wi-Fi Address". This is your MAC address. THIS you will need in order to authorize your phone in your Netgear page (it usually looks something like XXX.XXX.X.X (where "X" are numbers)).
2. Log in to you Netgear page (address and default user and password are on the label at the bottom of your router).
3. On the blue left panel of the screen, click on "Wireless Settings". A new page comes up.
4. Click on "Setup Access List".
5. Click on "Add" to be able to enter the required info needed about your phone in order to gain access to your network.
6. On "Device Name" I entered "iPhone". This name is irrelevant for I named my iPhone differently and using just "iPhone" worked. So enter whatever name you wish, but keep it simple.
7. Now, on "Mac Address" (the single most important info here) enter the number you obtained in Step 1 above. Make sure you enter it with the colons :
8. Add and apply, and for god's sakes , wait for the blue bar at the top of the screen to do its thing. It will take only a few seconds to update the network.
That's all! Connect and enjoy!
I hope this was helpful, because I have received many thank you emails from people that have spent hours with Apple Support, to no avail. Drop me a line at <<email edited out to help protect privacy>> and let me know if it worked for you!
( Last edited by ghporter; Jan 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Use our forum private messages-spambots can't harvest your address that way.)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2010, 09:55 AM

Umm yeah, if your wifi router has MAC address filtering enabled you need to add every client's MAC address to your router config first. Now which part of that was so confusing?

defiantmacho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Umm yeah, if your wifi router has MAC address filtering enabled you need to add every client's MAC address to your router config first. Now which part of that was so confusing?
It wasn't confusing. I merely put the wrong smiley. I removed it. My bad.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2010, 11:29 AM

If you've got MAC address filtering enabled - which I believe the vast majority of home networks haven't - then you should probably know how to enable it for your devices.

defiantmacho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2010, 02:13 PM

Experts, keep moving... This is intended for the newbies that want to control access to their Wi-Fi networks but that are finding connecting their iPhones and iPods to their routers a nightmare. If you haven't anything positive to say...

ibook_steve
Jan 3, 2010, 04:11 PM

This is actually a networking topic for any device, not just the iPhone.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

defiantmacho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
This is actually a networking topic for any device, not just the iPhone.

Steve
Quite right. I just created this one post for the issue mentioned which for some reason is driving a lot of people crazy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by defiantmacho View Post
I hope this was helpful, because I have received many thank you emails from people that have spent hours with Apple Support, to no avail.
Huh ? This doesn't make any sense.

No router that I know of has MAC filtering enabled by default. It always has to be turned on by the user. At this point, no user should be surprised about the "unintended" consequences.

Now, if you are talking about corporate networks, yes, then maybe this becomes an issue.

But at this point, the user should NOT call Apple Support, but talk to their local IT.

-t

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2010, 01:40 PM

Waouw!

I relly found OP's post in4mative!

Does OP have a newsletter r mailing list that I can subscribe 2?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2010, 02:08 PM

Dude, how old r u ? 12 ?

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2010, 05:32 PM

In that case he'll fit in very well here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules