Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How much water do you drink?

How much water do you drink?
design219
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2024, 04:09 PM

... a day?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2024, 05:44 PM

None, unless it comes from soda, then, I dunno… ¾-gallon.

Thorzdad
Jan 6, 2024, 09:34 AM

I keep a pint travel-tumbler of water with me throughout the day, and refill/top-off when needed. It’s hard to determine how much I drink overall.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2024, 07:51 PM

4 litres minimum. Often 6.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2024, 01:23 PM

Not enough some times, but I usually drink several liters of water (tap or sparkling).

I learned two things early on: the “universal advice” that you should drink X amount every day is. hooey, and that being even slightly dehydrated is a Bad Thing.

I’m not going to include all the clinical stuff about it, but drinking plenty of water through the day is Good For You.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Jan 7, 2024, 02:02 PM

Not sure how much, but "lots" - I like ice with water year around. Though the drink rate is much higher in summer.

As beer is mostly water, I sometimes pass people hydrating on the street. Looks like they drink a healthy amount of water each day.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 8, 2024, 09:23 AM

WHAT.

New year new design?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 8, 2024, 01:54 PM

I have to point out the benefits beer provides. Even “lite” beer has electrolytes and carbs, the fizz helps improve hydration of the mucous membranes, and (often, but not necessarily even “typically”) drinking is done slower than “that ice cold water I chug right after mowing the lawn”.

On the other hand, if you obtain much of your hydration from beer, you find that you really only rented it. Like caffeinated beverages, beer has diuretic properties. I haven’t investigated this formally, but I find that darker beers are less likely to cause this, but they are not necessarily free of it.

The very best way to hydrate is with plain water. Of neutral pH, too. These fancy “alkaline waters” say they’ll do something about your internal pH balance. Your body says “HA!!!” The temerity of these marketing plays on consumer ignorance.

So go ahead and stay hydrated through your beverage of choice, but don’t be sold on some advertising lie.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2024, 02:20 PM

Fun fact: during the Broad Street cholera outbreak in London, one of the ways they figured it out was noticing no one working at the brewery got sick, and finally realizing it was because they drank beer instead of well water.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 10, 2024, 02:18 PM

One coffee over ice at breakfast. One coffee over ice at lunch. A sparkling water or two in the evening. Maybe a glass of ice water before bed.

That's a normal sedentary day, if I'm actually working on something or mowing the lawn or moving, it goes up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2024, 05:41 PM

Woops! Wrong thread!

Forum Links
Forum Rules