Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need advice: father-in-law wants new computer

Need advice: father-in-law wants new computer
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 09:15 PM

How do I convince him to get a mac?

He has determined that he wants to spend about $1500. Wants an LCD (17" or bigger), wants to burn DVDs, make movies, etc.

I know he is the perfect candidate for an imac, but he wants to have his video on a second HD. I know a FW chassis is the only way on an iMac, but does anyone have any convincing information I can give him regarding why he should get a mac?

A G5 would be good, but the two drive limit and them being S-ATA is not good. IDE drives are cheaper (or are they?). Apple's 17" LCD is $700. But even if the LCD was free, a 1.6GHz G5 would still be $1800.

He knows that my wife and I have been mac users since '97 and we never have any real issues (yeah right, dead iPod, dead FW ports on Sawtooth, GF2MX card not working with 10.3, etc.). I need data or convincing info (like how a 1GHz emac is as fast as a 2GHz P4 or something).

Help me switch him.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2004, 09:20 PM

Best thing for you to do is show him on your machine.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 03:28 AM

Father-in-law : Mac
Mother-in-law : Infected PC

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Apr 18, 2004, 05:03 AM

Show him what a Mac can do.
Shoot some footage and create an iMovie in 10minutes. That should convince him.

Let the Mac run 7 or 8 apps at the same time without slowing down-as a speed demonstration.
Mention the "no virus" thing, use Expose as if it was the simplest thing on earth.
If he isn`t convinced by then shoot him.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2004, 05:12 AM

Be aware that if he does buy a Mac you'll be the guy fixing it should it ever misbehave.

I say let the man buy what he feels comfortable with.

ghotirking
Apr 18, 2004, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Be aware that if he does buy a Mac you'll be the guy fixing it should it ever misbehave.
A far less daunting task than if his Windoze machine 'broke down'

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 07:57 AM

wait for the new imacs to come out. don't try to convince him with the current models' specs and prices.

-r.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
wait for the new imacs to come out. don't try to convince him with the current models' specs and prices.

-r.
Sadly, I have to agree. Mom and Dad have a Cube and it's starting to "misbehave." Thankfully, I had the foresight to sign them up for Apple Care and they've had some parts replaced with minimal inconvenience.

As I review options for replacing the Cube, none are pretty. The iMac is VERY expensive for what you get. Knowing that any computer they buy should last them a good long while, I want their next Mac to be an affordable G5.

For home users, Apple's less expensive Macs feel very outdated, and its pro line low-end is too expensive. And by outdated, I don't mean underpowered vis-a-vis what my folks do (at most, some Photoshop picture correction), but in relation to Apple's clear abandonment of the G4 in the near future. I want all optimizations built into upcoming versions of the OS to give my folks a steady flow of performance optimization and maximum compatibility.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Best thing for you to do is show him on your machine.

Mike
I agree that this is the best way. My 71 year-old father was PC-only, wanted to produce videos and DVDs. Having him see how easy iMovie and iDVD are and the quality of the results sold him on a Mac. He purchased a used 933/G4 (that I happened to be selling ) and it's become his main machine.

If your father-in-law has a project in mind, it may be a good idea to have him create it on your Mac (if he lives in your area). That way, he has experience with the software. I did it with my father, and there were many exclamations of "It's that easy?" Sold him completely, and he's a Mac junkie now--thank God.

rjenkinson wrote:
I'd agree, but in my case, my father was tower-only (and it may be for your father-in-law). While he never, ever used PCI-slots or extra bays in his Dell(s), he wanted it "just in case."

While his $1500 limit may be a bit difficult to finagle, if he wanted to buy today, I'd suggest a refurbed G5/1.6 that can be found occasionally on AppleStore online's Special Deals page (or at an Apple retail store) and a third party 17" LCD.
Mastrap wrote:
Agreed, but most of my father's calls are specific to exploring iLife capabilities rather than troubleshooting. He's upgraded to Panther and various other maintenance without my help (adding a second slave HD). Of course, YMMV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules