Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Auto go to login window w/o logging out

Auto go to login window w/o logging out
Magicite
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 09:39 PM

I've looked elsewhere for an answer to this, but I've come up empty handed . . .

Here's what I want to do. I want, after a specified period of time, to be "kicked" to the login screen. Not logged out, mind you, like the security control panel offers; just taken to the login screen (with fast user switching enabled, of course). I live in a dorm, so fast user switching is a good thing. Anyways, people are lazy / unfamiliar with my machine, so they just use my account. "Forcing" them to use the guest account by seeing the login screen would be really nice.

Perhaps there's a screensaver out there that does this (or hidden OS X preference)? I swear I saw something that did this recenty . . .
( Last edited by Magicite; Apr 30, 2005 at 10:03 PM. )
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2005, 11:38 PM

Magicite, look under System Preferences / Security / "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver"
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Magicite  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 01:48 AM

No, that's not the same. That's what I do now, and people just ask me for my password (apparently they don't see the "login window" option). I want it to go straight to the login screen without logging me out.
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

charlespsu
May 1, 2005, 11:30 AM

It's almost like xp; when you return from a screensaver, you have to log in as it shows all of the users.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 11:42 AM

the only thing i could think of is to put the fast user switching icon in your menu bar and then choose "login window" from it before you stop using your mac.

i am not sure how to make it automatically go there after a set time (or screensaver)

bborofka
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Magicite
No, that's not the same. That's what I do now, and people just ask me for my password (apparently they don't see the "login window" option). I want it to go straight to the login screen without logging me out.
Can't you tell your friends to just hit the "Switch User..." button in that window?

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 1, 2005, 07:18 PM

Ciao is a free, 29kb screensaver that can log out or fast-switch to the login panel.

Magicite  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by bborofka
Can't you tell your friends to just hit the "Switch User..." button in that window?
You'd think that'd work, but then they'd just get annoyed and ask for my password. "It's faster to just have you type in your password!"

Lazy bums.
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

Magicite  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras
Ciao is a free, 29kb screensaver that can log out or fast-switch to the login panel.
Exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks much!
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 04:21 AM

Winswitch will also do it. Never heard of the other app but Winswitch (developer's name has Win in it, not M$-related).
Very easy to use, configurable in the menu bar and works just fine (and free) in Panther and Tiger.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Magicite  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 08:56 PM

Ruh-roh, Ciao has a problem. After going to the login screen (which it does wonderfully well), for some reason the display won't shut off (I have it set to go off after 5 minutes).

I'll check out WinSwitch, but if that doesn't pan out, does anyone else have any ideas?

(running tiger, btw)
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 09:04 PM

Hmm, funny.
Another idea is ScriptSaver, in conjunction with a one-line Applescript:
Code:
do shell script "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend"

Forum Links
Forum Rules