Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > SIMBL elements no longer worked in Safari 3.1

SIMBL elements no longer worked in Safari 3.1
porrid
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2008, 11:47 PM

Recently updated Safari to 3.1 and when I opened it a dialogue told me that the 3rd party SIMBL elements no longer worked.

There does not seem to be a Menu item in Safari that includes plug-ins or add ons as in Firefox there is a menu item called Tools which can help one figure out which tools are enabled or have been disabled by an Updated version !

I suppose Apple will never get around to showing which tools are enabled or disabled ion any of their apps, huh ?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2008, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by porrid View Post
Recently updated Safari to 3.1 and when I opened it a dialogue told me that the 3rd party SIMBL elements no longer worked.

There does not seem to be a Menu item in Safari that includes plug-ins or add ons as in Firefox there is a menu item called Tools which can help one figure out which tools are enabled or have been disabled by an Updated version !

I suppose Apple will never get around to showing which tools are enabled or disabled ion any of their apps, huh ?
What you have to realize is that Apple does NOT have an official way to extend Safari via interface plug-ins or addons like Firefox. Third parties have to resort to hacks in order to do it.

Since Apple doesn't support them, they will never have a way of showing what is "enabled or disabled." In the future, Apple may remove the ability for people to write (or use) these types of hacks entirely, because the techniques used to implement them are a security risk.

For now, every time Safari is updated, you'll have to wait until the third parties that made whatever hacks you're using (PithHelmet, Saft, etc). are updated to work with the new version.

kga1978
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 05:46 AM

This will probably not answer your question 100%, but if you open up "Console" after having opened Safari, you will be able to see which extensions are loaded and which ones aren't.

Hope that helps.

Cold Warrior
Mar 21, 2008, 07:06 AM

Safari is an application. Moving...

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2008, 09:07 AM

MacJournals News : Input Managers are not 'plug-ins'

Short story: what people are doing with their 'Input Managers' is not what the Input Manager API was included in the OS for - it is meant for extending the text entry capability of the OS for e.g. additional unsupported languages and/or universal access needs, and not for hacking applications.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2008, 02:49 AM

Thank you all for the isights

So Personman is that sad or necessary ?

Hey kgl1978, that's excellent.

Often wondered why a dedicated program hasn't yet emerged that can inform users like that console trick which can identify added 3rd party parts to all apps in your system. Like we willy nilly go about downloading and installing parts to things but just how many of us can keep a record of these infiltrated additions ?

JKT, if Input Managers are not 'plug-ins' why don't programmers create Plugins in the Services Menu ?

So I wonder if Console can detect addons, plugins and input managers in other OSX apps ?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 03:48 AM

Input Managers work in an entirely different way than Services. Services are used to pass objects between applications while Input Managers allow you to replace code in applications. (Which is really quite useful as a programmer if I may say so myself). Yes it's a security risk, but I like being able to increase functionality without rewriting an entire application.

To detect add-ons that are installed, the only real way to do it is open up Activity Monitor. Then click "Inspect" then click over to the "Open Files and Ports." That will show EVERYTHING that the application has loaded including images, caches, preference files, etc... No really easy way to check otherwise.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 04:18 AM

Thank you! very informative!

Forum Links
Forum Rules